Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Mossberg Model 400 .22

Well, I was visiting with my Aunt and we were talking about .22's. Her husband was an avid gun guy, however he has since passed and his collection has been sold off. Then she mentioned that she kept an old .22 all these years and wanted to give it to me. Sweet!

Well, I picked it up today and I couldn't be happier. It's a Mossberg Model 400 .22 lever action. It's in great shape with most of it's blueing still intact. It does have normal wear and tear expected from a 50 year old gun though.

Just thought I would share and see if anyone else out there has any experience with this little gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Mossberg Model 400 .22

Yours is a Model 400 rifle; there was also a 400 carbine with a 20" barrel. Both models have a pistol grip and curved finger lever. The Model 400 is also known as the "Palomino," and it was introduced in the 1960s to capitalize on the then-popular TV westerns and general interest in anything "Old West" at the time.

The Model 400 was also produced for Montgomery-Wards, in their "Western Field" store brand. Regardless of Mossberg or Western Field markings, the 400 was made in appreciable numbers and is not rare, but nowadays they are not exactly common. I've seen two in a year's worth of showgoing and shop visiting.

When the Mossberg 400 starts to misfeed or not fire, it's time for a cleaning. The Model 400 has a removable sideplate for ease of cleaning and lubrication. Lintless Q-tips, toothpicks, small screwdrivers, and dental picks are useful in getting into the nooks and crannies to remove 22LR residue gunk.

Also note well, the Mossberg 400 WILL misfeed if you short stroke the lever. The bolt is spring-loaded from the rear and the lever must be fully stroked forward to push the bolt fully rearward against the spring force and past the ejector in order for the empty to be ejected positively. If the lever is short-stroked, the empty case will frequently pop loose of the extractor and foul the action. There is usually nothing wrong with the rifle; just try working the lever briskly and completely to its forward stop to overcome that spring force.

Mossberg 400s in very good to excellent conditon usually command prices in excess of $250. Since the receiver is anodized aluminum alloy, the soft anodizing wears off the sharp edges. Finish wear detracts from sale value. Also, since the receiver is alloy, the 400 isn't as robust as some 22 rifles with steel receivers. If the shiny contact points with the bolt on the inside of the receiver aren't kept lightly greased, the receiver will wear in those areas.

Hope this helps, and congrats on being the new caretaker for the family hand-me-down.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Mossberg Model 400 .22

Noah,

Thanks for the reply. Easily one of the most informative posts I've read here. I appreciate it. Seriously. Rep sent
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.