Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default IDPA Saturday the 26th Feedback

Thinking about going to the Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club IDPA match this Saturday. I've never shot IDPA or any competitive shooting for that matter. Looking for some feedback. Are new comers usually welcome? What can be expected? Is IDPA difficult? (I know that directly relates to your shooting experience) How long does an event usually take, half a day, whole day? Any feedback would be appreciated.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: IDPA Saturday the 26th Feedback

I joined LPRGC back in Oct. Did my first IDPA there in Jan. We had about 25 shooters. It started little after 10am and I think we were done by 2pm? maybe before that.

VERY friendly with new shooters to the event. I got 1 smart remark from someone over something stupid and I just ignored it.

IDPA is easy. Compete against yourself. Its a timed event. At each course the course designer will walk you through and tell you what you need to do, like how many shots into the target, how many to the body or head shots, slicing the pie when shooting behind cover. If there is anything you don't understand, just ask questions. Like the saying, there are no stupid questions. They will identify all new shooters, you will be briefed by the match director before getting started. When you fill out the sheets, its marked new shooter so the Safety Officer knows and will help you as needed.

They split us up into 4 groups. two groups were shooting at the same time. It went very quick, so there wasn't a lot of just standing around twiddling thumbs. Just help out taping up targets after they are scored.

Bring your gun, holster, at least 3 mags, 2mag holder for the belt. And some type of cover if you don't want points deducted for that. and of course ammo.

Jan's group was nice and helpful and was constantly giving pointers for a better score etc.. Don't be fearful of mistakes, just be safety conscious. I got corrected a few times, bad habit of finger on the trigger when showing clear. I blame it from being a lefty but I shoot righty, so its still weird racking the slide.

Don't expect to get your brass if you are in the last group shooting.. Some of the guys are vultures and will pick up all the brass before you know it.. LoL.

depending how much you shoot, shouldn't need more than 100-150 rounds. They setup some interesting courses in Jan. They also happened to have hot soup and refreshments, hot coffee etc available for most of the time.

It was a fun first time and already can't wait until next weeks match.. especially if this weather holds out, cause it was pretty cold in Jan.

Ohh, expect to walk a little bit. Can't drive back to the pistol range. Dress for the weather and have fun.. I think it was 10$.

(Monroe County)

When you say bring some kind of cover so not to have points deducted. What do you mean? Cover for what?

Forgive my ignorance I have not shot IDPA.

thanks in advance

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    When you say bring some kind of cover so not to have points deducted. What do you mean? Cover for what?

Forgive my ignorance I have not shot IDPA.

thanks in advance
    The ‘spirit’ of the competition is meant to represent real life scenarios where you would be carrying concealed. For speed purposes most people use an OWB holster, so to conceal the pistol you should wear a cover garment like a jacket so the gun can’t be seen when you stand relaxed.
    Last edited by G19; February 16th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

(Monroe County)

Ok thanks
    I assumed this would be from concealment but was not sure about how the poster meant "cover".

(Delaware County)

He meant concealment garment. Come early if you are a new shooter, we do a new shooter orientation.

The match is 2/26, which is a week from this saturday.

Ted

(Chester County)

Ted said it - show up early and let match director know you are a new IDPA shooter and they will run you thru all the basics and proceedures. Dont remember how strict LP is on new shooters and "concealment garments" but most are pretty leanient on first timers -
    also dont be shy on asking questions - everybody has to learn and there are plenty of "seasoned" shooters at LP who will help you out

Its a Great club for a first match

Jeff

(Montgomery County)

Well the "cover" was already answered, sorry bout that..

It's not required, and no one said anything. Like mentioned, its more in the spirit of the event. I just wore an unzipped sweater.

It is a lot of fun, and I was really surprised at how involved some of the courses were.. Especially in Jan with a high of 18 degrees.

Go on the IDPA website and look up the different classes. I messed that up and misunderstood and ended up shooting in the ESP which is more of the better shooters..