Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Getting My Guns Back From the Police

deleted against any type of leaked information
    Last edited by mystikast; August 17th, 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: thanks guys

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Getting My Guns Back From the Police

Good luck. Pretty much same experience. They've had mine for 8 years. Look up posts by ViperGTS though. He recently got his returned after a lot of leg work.

Basically, the PPD stated procedure is that you have to write to the Police Commissioner to request their return. They will respond in about 6 months with a letter that they do not find it feasible to return it and an out of date and superseded citation of law about how to file an appeal.

Like you, I didn't think the expense of a lawyer was worth it, so I just wrote it off (they only got my G17, though, so less than you're out). Others will encourage you to fight it, and if you're so minded, I encourage you to as well. But it won't be easy.

do we need a " Stickey" regarding the option of a " safe keeper as opposed to relinquishment?

it seems as if this is a recurring topic of post's here. i had a temp PFA filed against me and fortunately i was able to keep my collection out of the hands of the PPD and/or Philly Sheriff by taking advantage of the "Approved Safe Keeper"
    clause contained in the PFA.

went to court, had the PFA removed/not renewed and picked my stuff up from the Safe Keeper on the way home.

i understand one may not have the option or be able to take advantage of the Approved Safe Keeper clause in some instances but to any involved in a divorce or separation from a significant other i would suggest some contingency planning to that end.

i was served on a early Friday eve. by PPD and they did not even ask about firearms though they were falsely mentioned as having been involved so i just hand wrote an affidavit of Surrender to a Safe Keeper and had them and myself sign it and date it and it worked for me in court a few days later.

IANAL and forgive me if i disrupted the thread
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Lawrence County)

Here you say that last June you were charged with a domestic dispute and your firearms were confiscated, but in this thread from last June you said you were charged with felony burglary and your firearms were confiscated, which is it????

Originally Posted by mystikast
    Hello all,

Two weeks ago I was charged with 1st degree felony burglary; Police had a search warrant and raided my residence. During the raid, they confiscated all of my legally owned firearms. My attorney said that I cannot get them back until after the court proceedings. Well, this leaves me defenseless in the mean time; I need something to protect myself. As of now, I have no prior record, am not charged with anything, and it's likely that all charges will be dropped, but this could take monthes. Can I buy a firearm or will I be rejected since I am out on bail and awaiting trial? Please let me know, thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    Here you say that last June you were charged with a domestic dispute and your firearms were confiscated, but in this thread from last June you said you were charged with felony burglary and your firearms were confiscated, which is it????
    Actually, he said he was arrested for a "domestic related incident", he didn't say he was charged with a domestic dispute. I can see where a vengeful ex could claim burglary.

(Perry County)

when you get them back you will be disgusted with the way they care for them.or should i say trashed them.

(Philadelphia County)

Good luck ! You should get them back by court order from the Judge when you were found not guilty and the case was dismissed, but that would be the right way of doing things wouldn't it ? Philly doesn't do things the right way they are like Sinatra and do it They're Way ! The more I hear stories the more I can't wait to leave here as soon as my son turns 18, im Gone ! You might want to hire a different lawyer for the expongement and getting your firearms back. If your current lawyer doesn't know the law pertaining to firearms he's not gonna do you no good !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Philadelphia County)

deleted from thread
    Last edited by mystikast; January 21st, 2013 at 06:00 PM.

(Franklin County)

I'm hoping she's an "ex" now!
    Armalite AR-30, 6 AR15's, Glock 30, Rem 700 SPS Tac .308, 12GA, Yugo AK47 UF, AK47.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    Good luck ! You should get them back by court order from the Judge when you were found not guilty and the case was dismissed, but that would be the right way of doing things wouldn't it ?
    In my case, they did the exact opposite. Charges withdrawn, case dismissed, but judge ordered my firearm held for 1 year. Lawyer told me I could fight it but it would have cost me. After the year I requested it back and got a letter from Lieutenant Lisa King that they do not find it feasible to return it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast