Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Practical Shooting or Defensive Pistol?

I've been reading a lot and watching youtube videos trying to learn what I can about these two competitive shooting types. I'm still not sure what might be the better fit for me. As with many of you I'm sure, free time is hard to come by, so I'd like to invest what time I have into the best fit. I thought maybe some of you guys who actually compete in these events might be able to help.

Factors to consider:

-- I live in Eastern PA, just a few miles west of Philly.
    -- I've never shot competitively (or even paid attention to scoring targets) in my life.
    -- I would think I would be considered a novice shooter by those who already compete in these events. However, I shoot on average 100-300 rounds a week and have been for a few months (in mostly 9mm, though I shoot some .380 and .45) so I'm generally comfortable with a firearm. However, I am getting bored with pumping rounds down an indoor range.
    -- I'm 42 and not in athletic shape physically -- I won't drop dead or anything, but I'm probably not going to enjoy a lot of running over distances, or crawling around on the ground shooting prone.
    -- I like the idea of shooting production rather than customized firearms and loads.

In light of these factors, do either of these types of shooting sound like a good/better fit to those of you who actually do it? Is there some other type of shooting I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Practical Shooting or Defensive Pistol?

Sounds like you would be better suited for IDPA. Stages are usually short and most people are shooting production handguns.

Just note that calling any competition "defensive pistol", despite it being in the name, is sort of a misnomer. No game is going to teach you how to fight with your gun, though it may be used as an opportunity for good practice if you get real training in defensive shooting and don't care about winning.
    Last edited by victory; February 15th, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

(Lawrence County)

USPSA Production has pretty much the same equipment requirements as IDPA so it's pretty much a wash (except USPSA stages will have more rounds and you'll need 5 mags instead of just 3).

I'd shoot both or whatever is closer.

LycanwhichiswhatIdothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

Look up the ranges around you and see what events/comps they are offering and go check a couple out and make a decision that way.

Most clubs and indoor ranges have 1 or two events a month. So I'm sure you'll find something close to you.

I know rafire.com has IDPA and GSSF check their website for schedule

langhornerodandgunclub.com has action pistol First Saturday of the month

lprgc.org has IDPA 4th Saturday of the Month

All open to the public.

(Monroe County)

A handgun is merely a tool for fighting your way back to your rifle.

Learn defensive pistol craft.

Stay safe.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    A handgun is merely a tool for fighting your way back to your rifle.

Learn defensive pistol craft.

Stay safe.
    way to take a cliche waaaaaaayyyyy out of context.
    you cant be serious.

on topic:
    Listen to the Lycanstuffinhisnamethrope , just go out and get to shooting ! I like to play USPSA and IDPA, whichever I can make it to.
    And you only competeing against dudes running similar gear in either sport anyway. Your not expected to run with dudes that got mags to their knees and paper seeking bullets when you shoot production. Thats why there are classifications.

I look forward to shooting production class this year.

(Allegheny County)

I'd say try them both. IDPA and USPSA are a lot of fun and some good practice for shooting on the move and from different positions.

Then pick the matches/clubs you like & can attend.

Both are good trigger time & a lot of fun.

I do mostly IDPA and hear there are some good clubs in Eastern PA.

(Monroe County)

I may have overstated the reply to this question but my point was that a handgun is a defensive tool so it would be logical to learn how to use it for defensive purposes.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    I may have overstated the reply to this question but my point was that a handgun is a defensive tool so it would be logical to learn how to use it for defensive purposes.
    well, that makes more sense then.

(Pike County)

Congrats (and yes, I really mean it literally) on graduating from the "guns go bang, cool" crowd. I like to say if you aren't competing, what exactly are you doing? "Training" or "Practicing" in an unstructured format without a stress/time component, or without a specific competition skillset in mind, is basically a waste of ammo IMHO. I got bored with it decades ago.

Addressing the factors you mention:

• You live within an easy drive (my own limit is 90 minutes, YMMV) of dozens of clubs.
    • That you have no preconceived notions of your advanced skillset is a feature, not a bug.
    • Basic familiarity is important from a safety standpoint, and it doesn't hurt to have some confidence in your ability to hit the target. There are "naturals" out there who kick butt from day one. In any case, we all begin at the beginning. As the man said "one does not fly into flying".
    • You will encounter more "run-n-gun" stages at USPSA than IDPA as a guideline rather than a rule. You will find this is more club-specific than discipline specific. Clubs with lots of room like big stages. Of course, you don't have to run at all ...
    • There is a class for just about any type of "full size" firearm. If you have something completely off-the-wall you may have issues finding a suitable holster and mag pouch(es), but that's about the only limit to participation. There are other limits on competitiveness but how important a factor that is varies with your goals.

My own take from my experience - both disciplines will teach you a great deal about gun handling under stress. I personally go hot and cold on them. I get fed up with all the standing around and am in a competitive lull at the moment, shooting clays instead.

--RobW

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    I've been reading a lot and watching youtube videos trying to learn what I can about these two competitive shooting types. I'm still not sure what might be the better fit for me. As with many of you I'm sure, free time is hard to come by, so I'd like to invest what time I have into the best fit. I thought maybe some of you guys who actually compete in these events might be able to help.

Factors to consider:

-- I live in Eastern PA, just a few miles west of Philly.
    -- I've never shot competitively (or even paid attention to scoring targets) in my life.
    -- I would think I would be considered a novice shooter by those who already compete in these events. However, I shoot on average 100-300 rounds a week and have been for a few months (in mostly 9mm, though I shoot some .380 and .45) so I'm generally comfortable with a firearm. However, I am getting bored with pumping rounds down an indoor range.
    -- I'm 42 and not in athletic shape physically -- I won't drop dead or anything, but I'm probably not going to enjoy a lot of running over distances, or crawling around on the ground shooting prone.
    -- I like the idea of shooting production rather than customized firearms and loads.

In light of these factors, do either of these types of shooting sound like a good/better fit to those of you who actually do it? Is there some other type of shooting I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast