Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Kahr PM9 or G26 for CC

I know this has been discussed at length and that it's a subjective topic but I'm considering one of these 2 for my next purchase and wanted an updated perspective from you guys. I carry, and love, my G19 but I'm considering the addtion of 1 of these 2 pistols for better concealment during the warmer months.

Don't get me wrong, the 19 conceals great especially with the right holster like my CB Supertuck but I've got the itch to add a new carry option.

Pro's for the 26 for me: primarily because I already have the 19 (same manual of arms, same mags at least for extended/spare, compatible holsters, tried and true, I shoot it well enough, Glock reliability, etc.
    Con's for the 26: it's still a relatively fat gun with the double stack, not sure if it's worth the price to have an equally fat gun.

Does anyone feel the 1/2" or so that the 26 shaves off the grip really makes that much difference in conealment? Or the shorter barrel likewise? I think most of my printing issues are related to the grip, but I'm not convinced half an inch would alleviate the occiasonal problems given that it's just as thick.

Pro's for the Kahr: this is where you guys come in...plus ability to pocket carry
    Con's for Kahr: again, please assist here...lower round capacity, new holsters to buy.

Anyone opinions from those that own both, or better yet, all 3 guns in question would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Kahr PM9 or G26 for CC

You can conceal the longer barrel easier than the longer grip, plus the G26 has the mag base plate hidden. Should be more than a 1/2" difference in grip length. Since you already have a G19 it would make more sense to go with a G26 IMO. Your G19 mags, holster and many G19 parts will work on the G26 also. May want to take your holster and 19 into a gun shop and compare the two (19 & 26) side by side and holster each. The PM9 will be thinner than the Glock you just have to start from square one with mags, holster and etc.

G26 is the smallest with G19 next to it.

Last edited by dkf; February 15th, 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Added Pics

(Butler County)

I'm 5'9" and 175lbs. I have a G19 and a Kahr PM9. I have no intention of purchasing a G26.

The G19 is a fantastic gun and conceals alright with my crossbreed supertuck. The Kahr is a FANTASTIC gun and conceals GREAT in a crossbreed minituck.

Trigger on the Kahr is buttery smooth... nicer than the G19. Rounded edges on the gun make it comfortable when concealed and easy to draw. Short range (25 yards) I'm almost as accurate with the PM9 as I am the G19 though I'm betting that a better shot than me would give a bigger edge to the G19. Under 10 yards my groups are virtually identical...

The 7 round mag gives your pinky a place to rest but doesn't help with concealment... Kahr is a little snappier when the pinky is hanging but easy to control with the extended mag.

I carry with the 6 round mag loaded +1 and the 7 round mag in my pocket giving me 14 rounds on body and an extra two mags in the car (a 6 and a 7) so that gives me an extra 13 before I have to start shoving bullets into a magazine. I'm looking for a decent double mag holder for my belt so I can carry the extra 7 round mag on body.

I have trij night sites on the G19 and miss them on the Kahr... might have to fix that. Kahr sites are okay as is though and I point shoot in almost all SD type scenarios anyway.

Thin is in... the G19 and G26 are a little fat to me so my normal EDC is the PM9 even though I miss the extra capacity.

Hope this helps....
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Montgomery County)

I cc a Glock 19 as well and my g/f has a Kahr Pm9 that i often carry. I would personally say go with the kahr if you are looking for a slim pocket pistol. If i know i won't be able to conceal the G19 very well...say if im playing sports or doing something in the summer ill just throw her Karh in a pocket holster and forget its even there. The only draw back to the Pm9 is if you don't carry 1 in the pipe. With a full mag the Pm9 have a prob feeding the 1st round. It does not have feeding problems or cycling problems once the gun is loaded. Kahr says the guns are supposed to be loaded by having the slide locked back and then insert the mag and let the slide slam shut in which case it loads every time. As far as that little problem i love the gun.

(Bucks County)

I have a G19 and a Kahr PM9. I have every intention of purchasing a G26

But do agree with all the rest. If its only a choice between the Kahr and G26 I would get the Kahr hands down for the reasons stated.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by richrock View Post
    Does anyone feel the 1/2" or so that the 26 shaves off the grip really makes that much difference in conealment? Or the shorter barrel likewise? I think most of my printing issues are related to the grip, but I'm not convinced half an inch would alleviate the occiasonal problems given that it's just as thick.
    No, I don't. The slide itself on the Kahr is 0.90", the G26 is 1.18". The benefit, to me, of a single stack or slimmer firearm is to reduce the added bulk going between me and my belt.

The thickness of the grip I find is less important to concealing vs. the length of the grip. Plus, for me, there comes a point when a grip is too narrow. I find my Glocks are much more comfortable and feel more natural in my hand vs. my 709 Slim, LCP, or my friend's PM40...but YMMV.

If you have the 19 already, I would second the above suggestions of going with the 26 due to being able to share parts, mags, holsters, etc.

Good luck!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ec1psetuner View Post
    The only draw back to the Pm9 is if you don't carry 1 in the pipe. With a full mag the Pm9 have a prob feeding the 1st round. It does not have feeding problems or cycling problems once the gun is loaded. Kahr says the guns are supposed to be loaded by having the slide locked back and then insert the mag and let the slide slam shut in which case it loads every time.
    This is spot on. I wouldn't recommend carrying ANY gun without being +1 but with the PM9 getting that first round out of the mag fed requires learning the technique of being real aggressive with the slide rack or locking it back and using the release. I can just rack it to load first round about 95% of the time now and the remaining 5% of the time requires a quick shake of the gun and then the bullet will free up and load. I would NOT carry this one with a full mag and not have one in the chamber. I've never had it fail to feed when using the slide release so have no concerns about reloads from lockback on an empty mag.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I have a G19 and a Kahr PM9. I have every intention of purchasing a G26
    My Dad owns a G26 and loves it for IDPA... he does complain about it being fat though... maybe one of these days I will end up owning a G26 but I want it to be many years in the future.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Lancaster County)

I've carried both my 19 and 26 at various times and I found that the 26 is very easy to conceal with minimal amount of hassle. The 19's grip just seems like it's always wanting to poke out where the 26 doesn't seem to do that.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Wait...don't I know you (OP)?

The slide itself on the Kahr is 0.90", the G26 is 1.18".
    The slide width on the G26, G27 and G33 measures 1.005". The frame is what measures 1.18".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast