Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default It Happened Again !!

Yesterday I was witness to a certain Philly gunshop not giving a woman what she wanted and pushing a lesser caliber gun on her just because she's a woman. The caliber in question was 40 S&W. The girl had a License to Carry and was gun shopping. She clearly wanted a 40 S&W but the salesman kept deterring her away from it saying "OOOH the 40 is a Strong Round" and pushed her into buyinbg a 9mm instead. I could see the look on her face and tell she was unsatisfyed with the purchase. For some reason this shop thinks that 40 cal is too powerful a caliber for women. There are many women who have adopted to the 40 with no problem. The kick is slightly harder than a 9, but no big deal. With practice it could be mastered. The law states as long as a person has the proper ID, in this case a License to Carry was also present, and the person clears the background check, they could purchase a gun. It doesn't say anything about caliber limitations for female or first time buyers. If I want a 44 Magnum for my fist gun and I have the money, dammit sell me a 44 ! There should be a law against whats going on at this place ! They do this a lot here and it's not right. The difference between a 9mm and a 40 is not much at all. But it's not even a recommendation not to buy, it's more like pushing not to buy. I know gunshops can sell to who they want, but if a person is within the law why can't they get what they want when they go to purchase a gun ?
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: It Happened Again !!

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    Yesterday I was witness to a certain Philly gunshop not giving a woman what she wanted and pushing a lesser caliber gun on her just because she's a woman. The caliber in question was 40 S&W. The girl had a License to Carry and was gun shopping. She clearly wanted a 40 S&W but the salesman kept deterring her away from it saying "OOOH the 40 is a Strong Round" and pushed her into buyinbg a 9mm instead. I could see the look on her face and tell she was unsatisfyed with the purchase. For some reason this shop thinks that 40 cal is too powerful a caliber for women. There are many women who have adopted to the 40 with no problem. The kick is slightly harder than a 9, but no big deal. With practice it could be mastered. The law states as long as a person has the proper ID, in this case a License to Carry was also present, and the person clears the background check, they could purchase a gun. It doesn't say anything about caliber limitations for female or first time buyers. If I want a 44 Magnum for my fist gun and I have the money, dammit sell me a 44 ! There should be a law against whats going on at this place ! They do this a lot here and it's not right. The difference between a 9mm and a 40 is not much at all. But it's not even a recommendation not to buy, it's more like pushing not to buy. I know gunshops can sell to who they want, but if a person is within the law why can't they get what they want when they go to purchase a gun ?
    They can, and if the gun shop doesn't want to sell it, there's a very simple solution to that problem - take your money elsewhere.

Proud member of:

(Delaware County)

Plenty of gunshops that would sell you what you want.

(Dauphin County)

Name of shop, please. If they see bad press on here, perhaps they might change their ways. (doubt it, but anything is possible)
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Delaware County)

Or you could go in knowing what you want and ignore the suggestions of the average retards that man gun shop counters.

(Philadelphia County)

This was at SPAG ! I frequent there a lot and seen this done quite a few times.
    Once another woman wanted a 40 S&W they did the same thing but they coaxed her into buying a revolver insted. Guess what caliber the revolver was....357 Magnum and they gave her 38 special for ammo. What kills me about that action is they told her a 40 is too powerful but sold her a 357 and 38 Special ammo. So all she had to do was go back in a couple of days and buy a box of full house 357's ! They have this thinking that if your a woman or first time buyer, you can't handle a 40 S&W ! You can't learn unless you shoot it ! I like the establishment and their selection, but this policy they have kind of erks me !

(Montgomery County)

There should be a law against whats going on at this place !
    While I agree what they're doing is shitty, but surely there shouldn't be a law against it. It's buyer beware. Anytime a consumer buys something, they need to do their research and shop around. Whether it's a new car, big screen TV, refrigerator, or firearm.
    If we're gonna pass laws against this stuff, Best Buy would go out of business. I've walked up to people there and said "No, you don't need that expensive cable". Any time my parents go there, they come out with things they don't need.

If it bothered you so much, why didn't you walk up and give your $.02? What's the worst that'd happen? They'd ask you to leave?
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Delaware County)

This was at SPAG ! I frequent there a lot and seen this done quite a few times.
    Once another woman wanted a 40 S&W they did the same thing but they coaxed her into buying a revolver insted. Guess what caliber the revolver was....357 Magnum and they gave her 38 special for ammo. What kills me about that action is they told her a 40 is too powerful but sold her a 357 and 38 Special ammo. So all she had to do was go back in a couple of days and buy a box of full house 357's ! They have this thinking that if your a woman or first time buyer, you can't handle a 40 S&W ! You can't learn unless you shoot it ! I like the establishment and their selection, but this policy they have kind of erks me !
    I don't get this at all. This is just stupid business for a place with a shooting range and instructors. They should have sold her the 40 and talked her into paying for training.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    I don't get this at all. This is just stupid business for a place with a shooting range and instructors. They should have sold her the 40 and talked her into paying for training.
    Obviously their salespeople need some training in Add-ons. Add-ons can be the high margin bread and butter of any business. It's sad, because I've seen a lot of poor salesmanship in gun shops, of course, I see that just about everywhere I go. But in a gun shop, they should be focusing on selling as much as they can considering the narrow margin of selling guns.

I've never understood the idea of downselling someone. Just shows poor judgment on their part. Granted, upselling isn't always a good idea, especially with guns, but if someone comes in and knows exactly what they want, they shouldn't be downsold. I wonder if these guys work off of commission? If they do, I wonder if it's based upon margin of the firearm sold, and the one they sold her had a higher margin?
    Last edited by streaker69; February 15th, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

I did give my 2 cents and asked why they did that and got a really ridiculous answer.
    It was something like "You and I know a 40 isn't that bad but "she" doesn't and won't be prepared for it. Then she'll change her mind and want to return the gun or sell it ".
    I don't understand the logic ? I see it as she might come back to sell the 9mm to get the 40 S&W she wanted in the first place because she didn't look to thrilled about buying that gun ! She didn't even buy ammo for it and left ! I saw that as a bad sign.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast