Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom 1911 ?

(Warren County)

Default Custom 1911 ?

If you wanted a really top of the line 1911, and did not mind doing it a little here and a little there as far as the customizing went, what would you buy to start with.

I see great reviews on Wilson Combat, Colt and Nighthawk Customs but many are over $2500.00

If you like to tinker, can you buy a base gun and do some work yourself, and have some custom work done by mail and end up with a piece as nice and save a little money along the way.

If this is possible, what do you start with?

I have always loved to fix up old trucks, this could be a new hobby.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Custom 1911 ?

You have to realize that the 1911 isn't a piece together gun. Sure, things will assemble just fine - but they won't work properly without proper fitting. There really isn't a true "drop in" part. Safeties, barrels, slides, etc all must be fitted to it's corresponding part even if it says "drop in".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You have to realize that the 1911 isn't a piece together gun. Sure, things will assemble just fine - but they won't work properly without proper fitting. There really isn't a true "drop in" part. Safeties, barrels, slides, etc all must be fitted to it's corresponding part even if it says "drop in".
    Thanks, maybe what I was thinking is not possible then. I was thinking they were more like an AR, and any upper would fit on a lower to some degree.

(York County)

If you did get a low end 1911 and spend time and money to "customize" it, it would be just that a fixed up low end 1911. The value in it would be mostly to you. You'd never be able to sell it for what it would cost you in time and money. Also It's would be cheaper in the long run too just get a custom gun.

Keep in mind though that if you bite the bullet and get one it may be hard to stop at just one. Wilson 1911's a really nice pistols.

Sid

PS
    Nutnfancy on youtube has a video of a taurus 1911 getting a trigger job and they discuss the customization of low end 1911's. It was cool to see a trigger job being done by a professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2u3K743A (part 1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uHeePP1CY (part 2)

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    If you did get a low end 1911 and spend time and money to "customize" it, it would be just that a fixed up low end 1911. The value in it would be mostly to you. You'd never be able to sell it for what it would cost you in time and money. Also It's would be cheaper in the long run too just get a custom gun.

Keep in mind though that if you bite the bullet and get one it may be hard to stop at just one. Wilson 1911's a really nice pistols.

Sid

PS
    Nutnfancy on youtube has a video of a taurus 1911 getting a trigger job and they discuss the customization of low end 1911's. It was cool to see a trigger job being done by a professional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2u3K743A (part 1)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uHeePP1CY (part 2)
    Thanks Sid, I am not thinking low end, thinking something in the $1000.00 - $1600.00 and make it into a GREAT 1911.

I may be way off base here, this may be a case of buy a nice custom gun and be done with it.

(Delaware County)

I had to make that decision when I bought my Wilson. It came down to the facts that Wilson gunsmiths do it every day. I don't. They know what they are doing, I don't. They know the "secrets", I don't. They know when they make a mistake, I don't. They can feel when something isn't quite right, I can't.

They can make a much better pistol then I can,,,,, the first time.

My decision was simple after thinking it through,,,,, let them do it RIGHT.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Bucks County)

You should take a look at a Dan Wesson CBOB. They can be had around $1,000 and already have some really nice features.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkyser View Post
    Thanks Sid, I am not thinking low end, thinking something in the $1000.00 - $1600.00 and make it into a GREAT 1911.

I may be way off base here, this may be a case of buy a nice custom gun and be done with it.
    I was in the market for a kimber way back but read they were having problems (firing pin block). I figured this would be my one high end 1911. Since Kimber was unreliable (in my mind) so I decided to go wilson.

Maybe someday i may get a 1911 to tinker with but they seem to be getting to expensive for that. Not only that but I'd hate to ruin a $1000 + gun because I wanted it to be "Better".

Sid

(Centre County)

You mentioned alot of great iron in your post, but don't overlook the following....

http://www.edbrown.com/customhandguns.htm

My vote would be the "Special Forces" line, but to each his own.

Also, if you wanted to see about a kit you could build yourself, these guys can show you some price points and blah, blah, blah.....

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/menu/1911_kits.htm
    Last edited by FLICK; February 15th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Erie County)

This guy is out of Slippery Rock. Never dealt with him, but if you have questions about taking a production gun, and fine tuning it, give him a call.

http://www.hallstoncustom.com/aboutus.html

I talked to this guy on the phone at length about the problems with production 1911's. His philosophy is that any 1911 that is correctly built, or retuned (production gun) can shoot tight groups for bullseye, after being dropped in a puddle of mud, which makes them perfectly acceptable for SD.

http://www.chamberscustom.com/about-us
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast