Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default One Caliber or Multiple

I am itching for another gun, I have owned many calibers 22,9, 40 and now have 3 45 's.

I see 9mm ammo is cheaper, but that means having to buy more than one caliber of gun.
    Do I get a 9mm or pick up another 45?

(Columbia County)

Default Re: One Caliber or Multiple

I understand wanting to keep only one caliber because you can buy ammo in bulk and save money, plus stockpiling a single caliber is much easier. However, if you have .45 and are contemplating 9mm, I say go for it. It doesn't matter how much you buy in bulk, you're never gonna spend less on .45 versus target/range 9mm ammo. Plus, variety is the spice of life.

(Mercer County)

IMHO I own and shoot firearms of many different calibers and as I amassed a larger & larger collection, I now, when looking for firearms look for "oddballs" .

I own and carry many different calibers from the 32acp up to and including the 44 magnum. I also own firearms in the 500 S&W caliber, 454, and 50 AE.
    In rifles I own from .22 cal through .460 Weatherby to include oddballs like the 45-90, 30-40 Krag, and Argentine Mauser.

My two most recent purchases are a .38 Super Colt Commander & and a Ruger Hawkeye.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    IMHO I own and shoot firearms of many different calibers and as I amassed a larger & larger collection, I now, when looking for firearms look for "oddballs" .

I own and carry many different calibers from the 32acp up to and including the 44 magnum. I also own firearms in the 500 S&W caliber, 454, and 50 AE.
    In rifles I own from .22 cal through .460 Weatherby to include oddballs like the 45-90, 30-40 Krag, and Argentine Mauser.

My two most recent purchases are a .38 Super Colt Commander & and a Ruger Hawkeye.
    I feel the same way about different calibers. I will specifically shop for a gun if it is in a caliber I don't yet have. I also reload; so every time that I get a new caliber, I also have a new reloading project. Double the fun!

This topic has been done before but for sake of good sportsmanship I'll bite.

1) A lot of people are going with one caliber and maybe one type gun in different sizes. Sounds like a smart move learning and working with one type of gun and ammo. Low budget compared to multiple calibers.

2) Then you have the most popular method done here multiple type guns and ammo choosing the right tool for the job because you have a Gun for NEARLY every job or the same job.

Option one sounds smarter and more practical, but I think outside the box is my excuses.

I like one gun that can shoot more than one caliber in stock form or with a fairly inexpensive conversion barrel. I figure if ammo becomes hard to find again you have a better chance of finding ammo you can shoot in your gun. For that reason I like the .40, .357 and 10mm Glocks. That said 9mm is about as cheap as your going to get for a major pistol round so you will be able to stock up on 9mm fairly cheaply compared to other calibers. I prefer to keep the caliber number I have low but have options open.

(Lebanon County)

depends were you are in your collecting.
    early on it can work, but after you have a few, you just end up limiting yourself.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkyser View Post
    I am itching for another gun, I have owned many calibers 22,9, 40 and now have 3 45 's.

I see 9mm ammo is cheaper, but that means having to buy more than one caliber of gun.
    Do I get a 9mm or pick up another 45?
    I have heard a few people talk about "consolidating calibers", getting down to one or two calibers, etc. - Honestly, I have never understood it or see any rationale ???? Collect what you like, get multiple calibers and enjoy is what I think it's all about. Maybe someone can shed light on "one caliber" - I have heard "buying ammo in bulk", getting use to shooting on caliber, etc. - but unless you really can't afford to buy multiple calibers of ammo ( in which case you probably can't afford more than one or two guns anyway ), or want to be the worlds best shooter of one caliber and never mess that up by shooting something else, I just don't get it at all

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

It depends on what you like and the amount of funds you have to put towards what you like! I purchased a pocket .380 early in 2009 and had a lot of trouble finding ammo for it at that time. I don't know when ammo was scarce prior to this, but it was frustrating not being able to buy ammunition when I had money set aside for it. Since then, things have changed and now I am comfortably stocked with ammunition. I am probably more of a consolidator when it comes to calibers, but that's just me trying to keep the bills paid and being practical with the small amount of money I have left over.
    Would I like to have a .38, and .40 and a .45 or three? Sure, but my wallet says no right now!

(Bucks County)

i like variety so i say if you want a 9mm or any other caliber go for it. i get bored shooting the same gun or the same caliber so my goal is to eventually have at least one pistol in each caliber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast