Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default competition noobie

Hey,
    I didn't really know where to post this so i figured this forum is the most appropriate. I have been shooting for fun since I was a kid and also enjoy the show Top Shot on the History channel. I was watching it the other day and was thinking about getting involved in competitive shooting of some sort, but the problem is that I wouldn't know where to even get started. I am very good at shooting clays (or at least compared to anyone else I have shot with) and am ok with a M&P 45 and good w/ a fullsized Kimber 1911 and pretty ok with my dad's DPMS ar-15. So how can I get involved in competitive shooting? Any info will be greatly appreciated!
    Dave

(Pike County)

Default Re: competition noobie

What type of competition is catching your eye - rifle, pistol, or shotgun? Take a minute to figure out what you want to do, and how you want to do it (precision or action) and we can point you in the right direction.

--RobW

(Bucks County)

Well I'll be completely honest, I don't really even know much about whats out there, action sounds like it could be fun. I've heard soem stuff about 3gun what is that? and what kind of competion is cometitve shotgun?

(Pike County)

Fair enough. Some places to go for introductory info:

NRA Competitions
    USPSA Pistol and 3-Gun
    IDPA Pistol
    NSCA NSSA Sporting Clays and Skeet
    ATA Trapshooting

There are more flavors out there, but that will give you an overview of the major types of competition.

--RobW

(Allegheny County)

Pistol IDPA and USPSA are easy to get started in.

If you have a carry holster & a mag pouch and 2-3 mags you're good to go in IDPA.

USPSA you probably want 4-5 mags & an extra mag pouch.

Shooting season at most clubs are starting March or April, so this is a good time to find a club near you, make contact and then plan to show up for a match.

If you plan to shoot IDPA and/or USPSA this is a good time to practice your draw and safe gun handling with dry fire at home.

Then gather up your equipment, go to a match & have a lot of fun.

Here's a good .pdf for new shooters done by Ted Murphy who is in Eastern PA area. New Shooter IDPA Booklet

BTW the IDPA website has a link to IDPA forum where it is good to get advice as a new shooter.

(York County)

Talking Re: competition noobie (we all started that way!)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlibra View Post
    Pistol IDPA and USPSA are easy to get started in.

If you have a carry holster & a mag pouch and 2-3 mags you're good to go in IDPA.

USPSA you probably want 4-5 mags & an extra mag pouch.

Shooting season at most clubs are starting March or April, so this is a good time to find a club near you, make contact and then plan to show up for a match.

If you plan to shoot IDPA and/or USPSA this is a good time to practice your draw and safe gun handling with dry fire at home.

Then gather up your equipment, go to a match & have a lot of fun.

Here's a good .pdf for new shooters done by Ted Murphy who is in Eastern PA area. New Shooter IDPA Booklet

BTW the IDPA website has a link to IDPA forum where it is good to get advice as a new shooter.
    ^^^ What Dragonlibra said...good start!

Look at the different websites for the organizations listed above and find a club nearby - go to a practice night at that club or look on www.nepaidpascores.net for a local match on a weekend. You might have a 90 minute drive to find a match, but it'll be well worth it.

No matter what sport you choose, you'll find that new shooters are welcome. Just listen closely to the safety briefing and directions from the Safety Officers (SO) they are there for everyone's safety - and take your time until you get the hang of drawing from a holster, moving from position to position, etc. Most important thing is to be safe - and yep, I'm a certified SO - and want everyone to go home with no extra holes in them. Especially me!

IDPA generally shoots less rounds per match; USPSA is a 'run and gun' sport not requiring shots to be made from cover as IDPA does. If you conceal carry, IDPA gives you lots of practice opportunities with your carry gear.

Read the rulebooks ahead of time - it'll answer alot about the equipment you'll need, things that aren't permitted, and if all else fails, toss a couple of posts out on the various forums and folks will help you out.

Hope you find a sport you like - nothing like throwing lead downrange with 50 of your closest friends on a weekend at a good match!
    SIG Sauer, S&W M&P and Mossberg 930 Armorer

(Bucks County)

Default Re: competition noobie (we all started that way!)

thank you everyone im gonna have some fun sorting through all this info!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: competition noobie (we all started that way!)

the more i look into this I am thinking about trying out clays and USPSA- anyone compete in these? if so what type of gear do you run?