Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default 45ACP Mill Brass Question

I'm just getting started in reloading and a coworker wants to sell me 3k of military 45ACP brass for $225. It's already de primed and tumbled. This seams to be a good deal to me. Is there anything I need to know about mil spec brass over regular over the counter brass? Thanks for the input.
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 45ACP Mill Brass Question

The main difference most has crimped primer pockets, and needs the pockets, swaged or trimmed. Not knowing the age some of the real old stuff was steel, a magnet will tell you pretty fast. You don’t want to load steel or aluminum cases.
    The price he gave you is a fare price, I have bought 45 ACP range brass cheaper, but then you have the shipping.

(Delaware County)

I would not go much more than $50 per 1000 rounds of brass.
    Plus as Hornady says....
    It is deprimed but if some of it had military crimps, you will have to clean the crimped primer pockets before you can reprime the cases. If you don't have a Dillon swage tool, it's much harder.
    Also, make sure you have no steel cases.
    Make sure none of it is small primer pocket since the standard is large primer.
    As for the age? As long as it is near the once fired status, you have no problem.
    But $225 is too much.
    Smitty56

Quote Originally Posted by DennisPA View Post
    I'm just getting started in reloading and a coworker wants to sell me 3k of military 45ACP brass for $225. It's already de primed and tumbled. This seams to be a good deal to me. Is there anything I need to know about mil spec brass over regular over the counter brass? Thanks for the input.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    The main difference most has crimped primer pockets, and needs the pockets, swaged or trimmed. Not knowing the age some of the real old stuff was steel, a magnet will tell you pretty fast. You don’t want to load steel or aluminum cases.
    The price he gave you is a fare price, I have bought 45 ACP range brass cheaper, but then you have the shipping.
    I agree with hornady,but I'll give you a site where I sometimes get my brass.
    leobrass.com their prices are usually pretty good and they seem to do all right on shipping also.

(York County)

Thanks for the info guys. I looked into leobrass and the are asking $70 per 1k plus shipping so not much better.

Smitty where have you seen 45acp for $50? I'd like to check into it before I buy anything.

Another question is mil spec brass worth the extra expence over regular brass? Does it last longer ie. more reloads?
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun

(Mercer County)

Might get lucky, and have it be match brass with no primer crimp to mess with. I have several thousand WCC MATCH cases I got in 1990, and still use a lot/batch that has had so many reloads, the headstamps are nearly worn smooth from so much use.

Sure, some have failed over the years, but like any good quality .45 Auto brass, shoot it with moderate pressures, don't go crazy sizing/expanding/taper crimping, and it will last almost forever... Or more likely lost before worn out.

(Warren County)

(Indiana County)

I don't know this guy or have anything to do with the forum it's on, but this seems like a not so bad deal:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=106710

I haven't bought .45acp in a while, but I might grab 2K of this just to have @ $106 shipped

Hell, $212 per 4000 is a deal at todays prices. Sure you may be able to pick up some smaller quantities at a gun show from 8 different tables, but what is your time worth.

Unless the military stuff your friend has is WCC cases, I would pass on it. Most military cases are thicker and reduce the powder capacity, so when you load it you can be getting higher pressures than when using the same charge in a commercial case. I always used WCC when shooting USPSA and they last forever it seems when no using full power loads.

(Luzerne County)

Lessee now....4000 pieces of brass. Ya load each one maybe twenty times. That's 80,000 shots.
    Enough to hold ya for a month or two.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...