Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: 38 Special Vs 9mm Luger ??

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Nope. He's one of my best friends, though.
    Gay.

That is an awesome quote though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Not sure that I can defend my original statement, Lord knows I'm no whiz at physics, but here's what I think.

You'll note that I used the term "felt recoil" in my response - not actual. We know that with conservation of energy the recoil energy of the slide cannot be greater than that generated by bullet. However, the transferrance would be different. The recoil impulse from the bullet firing is enough to move a much heavier slide through the reverse travel of it's cycle. What we have is the bullet energy, created by low mass and high velocity, transferring to the slide which becomes high mass, low velocity (think of the age old argument of 9mm - small & fast - vs. .45 ACP - large & slow). Now we have increased mass, moving rearward behind the pivot point created by the grip increasing the "felt" recoil. Not only that, but the recoil energy that propelled the slide rearward is now stored in the recoil spring, slamming the relatively high mass slide forward again - creating yet another recoil impulse forward.

I may be way off base on my assumptions, but just from actual use of a 1911 and a model 625, the perceived recoil, for me, is much less with a revolver than with a semi-auto and all its reciprocating pieces.

OK, give me a second to get the popcorn and you physics whizzes can have at me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    It does make sense. I think we can agree that the actual amount of recoil would be the same, but is perceived differently. That difference in perception will vary from shooter to shooter, and of course everyone will have an opinion. Also, of course, my opinion is always right.

(Perry County)

Ok, comparing apples to apples as much as possible when comparing .38 Special and 9mm. Loads from Hodgdon's 2004 manual for 9mm Luger and 38+P (this is fair as any modern .38 can handle +P just not the antiques).

125 gr jacketed in both:

9MM, fastest load using Hidgdon powders, 6.8 gr of HS 6, giving 1169 fps.
    .38 Special +p, fastest load 7.0 of Longshot gives 1228 fps
    (I note that this is from a 7.7 inch barrel and not listed as being a test barrel?).

146-147 gr bullets:

9mm, 4.7 gr of Longshot gives 1004 fps, (listed as from a 4" barrel)
    .38+P; H4227 12.4 grs.gives 1085 fps (from a 7.7" barrel unfortunately.)

Unfortunately, the listed loads are from 4" auto and 7.7" .38 so the comparison is skewed toward the revolver. Still, from the above it is hard to image the 9mm as being superior! With top hand loads or high quality personal protection loads they are nearly equal.

If I have my CZ75 I feel well armed, as I do when carrying my S&W 638.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234