Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hogs already

(Lancaster County)

Default Hogs already

Took out the first hog of the year already. Saturday 2/5 my wife was watching tv in the family room,and out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw one of our barn cats walking out in the backyard. It wasn't.
    I grabbed the trusty shot gun and went out and around the south side of the barn ,while he went around the north side.
    The south side has a hole dug under the foundation from a hog a few years ago,I figured he was heading for that hole.
    Bingo,just as he poked his head around the back side of the barn ,I was waiting for him.
    The buzzards and fox are eating well this week!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hogs already

Do I understand this was a feral hog, in Lancaster Co.?

Are there more?

How big was it?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by scattergun View Post
    Took out the first hog of the year already....The buzzards and fox are eating well this week
    Good, they can cause a lot of damage. Any reason you don't eat them? Are they a big problem in your area or just an occasional escapee?

The status of hogs has changed a few times in the last couple of years...can you tell me what the current regulations are? no closed season? any caliber restrictions? must report?
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    Good, they can cause a lot of damage. Any reason you don't eat them? Are they a big problem in your area or just an occasional escapee?

The status of hogs has changed a few times in the last couple of years...can you tell me what the current regulations are? no closed season? any caliber restrictions? must report?
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=621618&mode=2

There's a link to a PDF in the center of the page called "Stop Feral Swine" that has some general information on them.
    III%

(Lancaster County)

Sorry for some confusion, It was a groundhog,not ferel swine.

(York County)

I knew what you meant!! lol! I was out walking about my property setting up some targets and I saw a cleaned out hole. I couldn't believe it. The prints didn't go very far just to a tree and back. I thought it would be more like April before I would need to get my rifles sighted in. I've go a new toy for them this year, time to get the 220 swift up and running. Happy "Hog" Hunting everyone.
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Feral hog cannot be hunted specifically. They can be shot incidentally while hunting another critter that is in it's lawful season with a weapon that is legal for that lawful game. You just cant go "hunting" feral hogs in PA. However you can shoot one while hunting something else, but the device you use must be legal for the real animal that is in season.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Damn!

For the longest time I have wanted to blast feral hog with a .44 Magnum revolver.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    Damn!

For the longest time I have wanted to blast feral hog with a .44 Magnum revolver.
    .44mags are legal for groundhog.. If you see feral swine while hunting whistlepig - the swine would be fair game.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(McKean County)

Read your Pa hunting regs. There is no regs on wild hogs. The game commission wants them all gone. There is no limit and no season. There policy is shoot on sight

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast