Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default gun rack in truck window

I've noticed discussions a lot about vehicle carry of handguns, but not much about long guns. When I was in college at WVU when we went hunting we just put the shotgun or rifle on the rack in the truck window and drove out of Morgantown. We could hunt just 1 mile from campus back then. Of course the weapon in the rack was unloaded. Now our place is just 2 miles from our hunting property down a county road. We are in Tioga county Pennsylvania. Is it legal to do the same thing that we used to do in WV? I ask mostly because although we have quite a bit of a gun culture here--its not unusual to see someone carrying an uncased long gun into our local gunshop--in the ten years Iv'e lived here I've never seen a long gun in a truck window.
    Hope I didn"t post this in the wrong forum. This is my first post. I enjoy the site. It is terrific

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: gun rack in truck window

It is perfectly legal to transport an unloaded long gun in a vehicle, also to openly or concealed carry a long gun(loaded or unloaded) outside of Philly without a LTCF. At NO time can a long gun be loaded within a vehicle. Within Philly requires a license to carry/transport any type of gun in any manner.

However, since we are under a declared state of emergency a person is required to have LTCF or be exempted under 6106(b) to carry/transport any type of gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I think the lack of seen long guns in truck gun racks has more to do with "I don't want my shit stolen and have a broken rear or side window in my truck. When I was kid growing up in PA, damn near every pick up had a gun rack but as crime increased, so did some common sense and get those guns out of sight, out of temptation.

Seems that my mind remembers a specific program launched by the Game Commission to get hunters to stop putting guns in gun racks. Or it was part of my hunter education course. Been a few years since 1980...

CL

(Washington County)

Also, back in the day almost every pick up was a regular cab with limited space inside.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Luzerne County)

I see it albeit occasionally, especially in my travels in Susquehanna co. It is legal as long as unloaded but the potential for theft is a lot higher when something of value is openly visible in an unattended vehicle locked or not. The Game Commission reps at my hunters safety course made a strong warning advising against using the racks for everyday transport and the number of vehicle thefts that they or local PD have had to deal with.

So you can open carry a loaded shotgun in Philly with a ltcf, well that's interesting lol
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    So you can open carry a loaded shotgun in Philly with a ltcf, well that's interesting lol
    Or conceal it.

Outside Philly, you can open carry or conceal carry a loaded long gun, AK47/AR15 withOUT a LTCF

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by darkhunter View Post
    Technically, yes.
    As a practical matter, I think your chances of kissing the concrete courtesy of the Phila PD would be pretty high.

If the rack was improperly installed during a crash now you have a 6+lb object ready to smack you in the back of the head. Ive seen it happen

(Clinton County)

So technically because of the state of emergency, one couldn't go hunting unless they have a LTC, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast