Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Secure Wrapper Issue (Mandatory Minimum of 5 Years Involved)

The Uniform Firearms Act uses the words secure wrapper or securely wrapped to describe how a firearm should be carried or delivered.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (b) Exceptions.
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back...
    There is no explicit definition given. Doing a search of this on here yielded few answers to this question. Is there a consensus on these forums as to what the minimum is to meet this requirement? Is there a consensus as to what would fail this requirement?
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; October 22nd, 2012 at 05:58 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Secure Wrapper

Gun laws are too simple and straight forward. So instead of common words like box, case or bag they need to use confusing terms like "secure wrapper" to keep you guessing.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Jefferson County)

There really isn't a definition. But most states use the following:

1. The original manufacturer's box
    2. A bag with a buckle, zipper, or snaps
    3. A box or case with buckle, zipper, snaps, latches, etc

This is one of the portions of law where you probably should look at the intent of the law. For this, I'd consider reasoning would be to protect the gun itself and to create an additional step to having a gun in one's hand.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Perhaps?

Under the Uniform Firearms Act, it is generally illegal for a dealer to deliver a firearm (ie. handgun) that is not securely wrapped to a customer, correct?
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; October 22nd, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinshooter762 View Post
    Under the Uniform Firearms Act, it is illegal for a dealer to deliver a firearm (ie. handgun) that is not securely wrapped to a customer, correct?
    I'd say yes. Why do you ask, if you don't mind? It sounds like you're gathering info to make a case against someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    I'd say yes. Why do you ask, if you don't mind? It sounds like you're gathering info to make a case against someone?
    There is a big point to possibly be made. How well are dealers complying with this part of the UFA? Specifically, in regards to used firearms that don't have a box or case.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; October 22nd, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

(Washington County)

There is a major point to be made. How well are dealers complying with this? Specifically, in regards to used firearms that don't have a box or case.
    I recently bought a used LCP and the dealer gave me a cheap cloth "sock" for lack of a better term, in addition to a plastic bag. If I didn't have a LTCF I'd take my own gun case just in case. I could imagine an unsuspecting novice buyer getting jammed up on the way home though because a dealer didn't do their part.

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    I recently bought a used LCP and the dealer gave me a cheap cloth "sock" for lack of a better term, in addition to a plastic bag. If I didn't have a LTCF I'd take my own gun case just in case. I could imagine an unsuspecting novice buyer getting jammed up on the way home though because a dealer didn't do their part.
    Good example. This is helping to illustrate what I'm getting at. There is a little more to it that will follow later on.

If the dealer provided the buyer a Ruger LCP and it was not 'securely wrapped', than under the UFA the dealer could be prosecuted for what would be a Misdemeanor of the Second Degree as a first offense, correct?
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; October 22nd, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

(Washington County)

Good example. This is helping to illustrate what I'm getting at. There is a little more to it that will follow later on.

If the dealer provided the buyer a Ruger LCP and it was not 'securely wrapped', than under the UFA he/she could be prosecuted for what would be a Misdemeanor of the Second Degree as a first offense, correct?
    I don't know enough to comment on what the penalty would or should be. Also, I don't know where the dealer's responsibilty ends and the buyer's begins. I'd be pissed if I didn't know any better and the dealer sent me on my way with no wrapper. However, there's also that whole "ignorance is no excuse thing too".

Interesting. Unless of course you're personally involved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast