Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Glock 27 vs. PX4 subcompact fit and finish

Just picked up my first ever Glock yesterday at ACE's in Washington. Great people down there! I have heard so many people raving about Glock quality, reliability, etc. I thought I would purchase the 27 to add to my .40 cal collection which is now at two! First and foremost I have not shot the 27 yet but have put about 600 rounds through my px4 and she's a thing of beauty.

Right out of the box, the Glock looks quite boxy but I guess with good reason, clean lines and no snagging points. Owning both has given me the opportunity to examine both closely and quite frankily, the Beretta appears to be of better build than the 27. I don't mean appearance but overall fit and finish.

The px4 has absolutely no rattle when shaken lightly but the 27 does. The interior of the polymer frame meaning components just looks cheaper than the Beretta.

I realize that both brands are extremely good guns and people have their favorite brand but the px4 gets my vote hands down in looks, fit and finish etc.

Now understand one thing, I would trust my life completely to either gun. The glock has been tested, proven, and then tested again to be a proven winner but I believe the 27 has met its match.

Now when it comes to size, the glock wins hands down. The px4 is significantly heavier and a little wider mainly due to its' external safety. I carried the 27 last night and it was a much better carry than the Beretta. I believe I will carry px4 in winter and 27 in summer.

Not a bad situation to be in I guess!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Glock 27 vs. PX4 subcompact fit and finish

First and foremost I would not recommend carrying a gun you have never fired. Sure, Glock has a great reputation for reliability but you need to test your individual gun. How do you trust your life with something you dont know works?

(Montgomery County)

What you may be hearing is the firing pin moving back and forth in its channel. That would be normal. (I have also heard of magazines that rattle when loaded, though that's not exclusive to Glock.)

(Butler County)

A properly cared for (or new) glock will rattle (or, an unloaded--you checked, right--glock with the trigger pulled will rattle--it's the firing pin moving in the channel).

They also have what I describe as mag "squeak."

Regarding the fit and finish, the Glock is meant to be functional, not fashionable. Beretta makes a good looking gun, but I trust my G19 to go "bang" every time. My 92FS Elite II took some break-in to run and demands a much more responsible maintenance regime to remain running. It's been proven pretty conclusively that if you want to do this (and it's not recommended for a carry firearm) that the maintenance required on a glock is lube it a bit when you feel like it and toss it in the dishwasher every 10k rounds (note--you have a .40 Glock, so you may have to get a fully supported chamber in there before trying that). *

Glocks (or XDs or M&Ps or SR9s or USPs or any "polymer service pistol") are generally not meant to look good. They are meant to be functional first and the outward appearance, IMHO, reflects that. **

Enjoy your G27. My G26 has wormed it's way back into play as my daily carry of late.

* Don't do the Glock abuse thing, unless you are doing it on a firearm you don't intend to use in a defensive way--ever. I've done it to a certain degree to a G19 which is exclusively a range piece, out of sheer curiosity more than anything else.

** My 92FS Elite II is as close as I get to a pimp gun. Were money no object, I'd get a Desert Eagle in .50 with the stupid gold plating or if I wanted something for people who know better I'd get a lightly used Sig P210, which I think is as good looking a pistol as there ever was.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    A properly cared for (or new) glock will rattle (or, an unloaded--you checked, right--glock with the trigger pulled will rattle--it's the firing pin moving in the channel).

Regarding the fit and finish, the Glock is meant to be functional, not fashionable. Beretta makes a good looking gun, but I trust my G19 to go "bang" every time. My 92FS Elite II took some break-in to run and demands a much more responsible maintenance regime to remain running. It's been proven pretty conclusively that if you want to do this (and it's not recommended for a carry firearm) that the maintenance required on a glock is lube it a bit when you feel like it and toss it in the dishwasher every 10k rounds (note--you have a .40 Glock, so you may have to get a fully supported chamber in there before trying that).

Glocks (or XDs or M&Ps or SR9s or USPs or any "polymer service pistol") are generally not meant to look good. They are meant to be functional first and the outward appearance, IMHO, reflects that. **

Enjoy your G27. My G26 has wormed it's way back into play as my daily carry of late.

* Don't do the Glock abuse thing, unless you are doing it on a firearm you don't intend to use in a defensive way--ever. I've done it to a certain degree to a G19 which is exclusively a range piece, out of sheer curiosity more than anything else.

** My 92FS Elite II is as close as I get to a pimp gun. Were money no object, I'd get a Desert Eagle in .50 with the stupid gold plating or if I wanted something for people who know better I'd get a lightly used Sig P210, which I think is as good looking a pistol as there ever was.
    Good point, I believe some manufacturers compensate for a below average gun with outstanding looks. Thanks.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    First and foremost I would not recommend carrying a gun you have never fired. Sure, Glock has a great reputation for reliability but you need to test your individual gun. How do you trust your life with something you dont know works?
    You know I thought the same thing after I had left the house just was betting on Glock reliability though....I went to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds through the 27 and wow, everything I pointed at it hit, dead eye accurate! It was a little snappier than the px4 but nothing too bad at all.

By the way, while I was at ACE's, the 27 was flying off the shelf. I witnessed three being purchased while my guy was on the phone doing background check!!! That was a good feeling.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post

Regarding the fit and finish, the Glock is meant to be functional, not fashionable. Beretta makes a good looking gun, but I trust my G19 to go "bang" every time. My 92FS Elite II took some break-in to run and demands a much more responsible maintenance regime to remain running. It's been proven pretty conclusively that if you want to do this (and it's not recommended for a carry firearm) that the maintenance required on a glock is lube it a bit when you feel like it and toss it in the dishwasher every 10k rounds (note--you have a .40 Glock, so you may have to get a fully supported chamber in there before trying that). *

Thanks for the info...yes it was unloaded. I did notice that the Glock was dead eye accurate right out of the box! My px4 tood about 150 - 200 rounds to break in or be that accurate. Maybe I spoke too soon about the px4 winning hands down...ooops!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by taurus.38 View Post
    Just picked up my first ever Glock yesterday at ACE's in Washington. Great people down there! I have heard so many people raving about Glock quality, reliability, etc. I thought I would purchase the 27 to add to my .40 cal collection which is now at two! First and foremost I have not shot the 27 yet but have put about 600 rounds through my px4 and she's a thing of beauty.

Right out of the box, the Glock looks quite boxy but I guess with good reason, clean lines and no snagging points. Owning both has given me the opportunity to examine both closely and quite frankily, the Beretta appears to be of better build than the 27. I don't mean appearance but overall fit and finish.

The px4 has absolutely no rattle when shaken lightly but the 27 does. The interior of the polymer frame meaning components just looks cheaper than the Beretta.

I realize that both brands are extremely good guns and people have their favorite brand but the px4 gets my vote hands down in looks, fit and finish etc.

Now understand one thing, I would trust my life completely to either gun. The glock has been tested, proven, and then tested again to be a proven winner but I believe the 27 has met its match.

Now when it comes to size, the glock wins hands down. The px4 is significantly heavier and a little wider mainly due to its' external safety. I carried the 27 last night and it was a much better carry than the Beretta. I believe I will carry px4 in winter and 27 in summer.

Not a bad situation to be in I guess!
    The rattle you hear with the Glock is the magazine. Some of their magazines rattle in all their guns. I have three mags for my Glock 21 and one rattles. You just happened to get one ! I also have a Storm PX4 Sub-compact and do prfer it to the Glock sub-compacts. The full size Storm I don't care for though, I rather have the 92 FS. The full size and compact Glocks I like, the subs feel goofy to me because they are so "Blocky". I prefer contoured lines in small guns and a smooth feel.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

Bit of a weight and thickness difference between the PX4 and Glock 27
    http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB...2=2595&ID3=694
    Walther PPS is another great choice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    What you may be hearing is the firing pin moving back and forth in its channel. That would be normal. (I have also heard of magazines that rattle when loaded, though that's not exclusive to Glock.)
    ^^^This, but only when the gun is empty and after you dry-fire it. Under normal carry conditions it should not rattle unless something is broken.