Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Building Burned, Guns Still Inside - What to Do?

I lived in a large apartment building that caught fire. Many if not most units suffered only slight damage (the roof and fifth floor burned, and the basement suffered from flooding, but floors 1-3 are intact). No residents have been allowed to re-enter to get personal belongings, nor have any professional salvage operators. There are still even cats alive trapped in the building.

The management and the city have surprised everyone by deciding that demolition proceedings will begin Monday. We are investigating ways to put a halt to this.

We know that there are licensed firearms still in the building. Is there anything in Pennsylvania gun law that says firearms must be accounted for in an event like this? Anything to stall the process and allow us to get our own inspector into the building.

Thanks for your time.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Building Burned, Guns Still Inside - What to Do?

I doubt you're going to stop the demolition over some missing firearms.
    No laws that I'm aware of that would force them to "get them" for you. You may consider telling the police that they exist, and seeing if they can assist you in retrieving them, but sadly, I can't see that going well either.

Good luck, and I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can get this resolved, but being it's the weekend, it may be difficult to get in touch with the right people before the demo starts.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Emptymag, thanks for your advice.

We are pursuing other options, but I figured I'd investigate as many angles as possible.

Is there a way that the unpopular "lost or stolen" laws might affect this? As in, the guns are neither lost nor stolen yet, but the firearm owners need to know within 24 hours when they are lost or stolen - is there a way to hold the management legally responsible for reporting this?

Anything that can be an obstacle to the demolition process (which starts tomorrow - but this doesn't mean demolition starts tomorrow - just that contracts will be signed and equipment will be moved into place).

Thanks again.

(Allegheny County)

What "lost and stolen" law? Did they pass one of those illegal laws in Philly too? (Pittsburgh did if I recall correctly)

Honestly, I'm not versed in law well enough to give any good advice. Hopefully someone else with more insight will be able to suggest something.

In days gone by you probably could have flagged down an officer and explained what happened, had him go inside to retrieve the items, and shook hands as you thanked him for his help. In today's world, you probably would have them confiscated until you can provide proof from thirteen different sources that the firearms found INSIDE YOUR APARTMENT are indeed yours.

I do not envy you.

(Butler County)

Even if Philly has a lost or stolen law I can see them saying they are not lost we know where they're at. Being demolished.

(Philadelphia County)

If you dont mind me asking was this on walnut? I believe I live less than 2k blocks from youu and would like to know more about demo

(Philadelphia County)

Don, yeah, except demo doesn't necessarily mean the old wrecking ball. It might also mean guys going into units with hammers and crowbars. So it seems like the state has an interest in securing any licensed firearms on the premises.

nathaniel, yup. the big old apartment fire about a month ago. The city and the management have decided to go forward with demolition proceedings starting this Monday.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by plantman View Post
    Don, yeah, except demo doesn't necessarily mean the old wrecking ball. It might also mean guys going into units with hammers and crowbars. So it seems like the state has an interest in securing any licensed firearms on the premises.

nathaniel, yup. the big old apartment fire about a month ago. The city and the management have decided to go forward with demolition proceedings starting this Monday.

To be clear, they aren't "licensed"*, and what interest would the state or any form of government have in returning property to it's rightful owner? How about your microwave?

*You may be the owner, but there is no "registration", or "licensing" of firearms in PA.

(Allegheny County)

Unhappy Re: Building Burned, Guns Still Inside - What to Do?

There will definetly be people entering the building for demolation. If the first, second and third floor were not structurally damaged and there is a cushion 4th floor between the damaged 5th floor, then the fire investigators will enter the structure to look for where the fire started. There will also be insurance investigators, salvage crews and thieves, copper, money, personal belongings will be stolen, along with any firearms that can be located. I would contact an attorney to see what your options are. I was fire chief of a fire dept for 18 years and would always do whatever i could to help fire victims recover there personal belongings.

I can't suggest that you do anything that's going to get you in trouble, but I'm wondering if you could scare up a hardhat, a Carhartt work jacket, and a clipboard?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast