Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default SS barrel break-in procedure

I'm going to be getting a AR varmint upper that has a stainless steel barrel

Was just wondering if there is a special way for breaking it in.

This is how I would normally do it

Fire one shot, then clean the barrel. Do 5 times
    Fire three shots, then clean the barrel.
    Fire five shots, then clean the barrel

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: SS barrel break-in procedure

http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.htmlthis one should be good for a few pages, lol. i used to break in new barrels, now i just shoot em.
    Last edited by yukon375; February 12th, 2011 at 10:37 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Step 1: go to range
    Step 2: insert loaded magazine
    Step 3: with rifle pointed downrange take weapon off 'SAFE'
    Step 4: center your sight picture on a target (NOT the carrier, this makes RO's cranky)

Presto, your barrel is now broken in! Feel free to pull the trigger.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.htmlthis one should be good for a few pages, lol. i used to break in new barrels, now i just shoot em.
    Very interesting read, Someone had asked that in the Spikes Tactical Forums, and reflects exactly what your link stated, i have also come across the following stating a "break in Period" , and even the local guy had some variance of a break in. (I do not recall exactly what it was), but i am sure it reflects something in the middle of what the OP read and what i posted.

Being someone who has worked with metal, the link posted by yukon357, then to have the info previously stated by a manufacturer reflect what was said in the link, makes sense at least to me, that recommended break in periods on barrels are total BS, and nothing more than a way to ruin a barrel (shorten its life time), by using heavy brushes, cleaners, rubbing compound, making you have to purchase a new barrel shorter than expected.

(Centre County)

I was told by the gentlemen from Kansas City Mo that built my rifle to just shoot it like I stole it. I only clean it after every few hundred rounds.

(Venango County)

I NEVER use a brass or steel brush on my barrel unless I have shot lead. Then I use a piece of a Chore boy copper scrub brush.
    For barrels with jacketed rounds only, all you need to do is swab it with some Hoppes No 9 or the equivalent. Copper jackets fill in the microscopic imperfections in a bore and a brush just cleans them out. Try what I do and you will see that your bore just gets better and better.

This is also the policy of some big name barrel makers. Scheumann for one.
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

(Philadelphia County)

How big are these 'microscopic imperfections' that a brush's bristle is small enough to dislodge anything filling them in? Won't a bullet traveling through the bore in excess of the speed of sound do something similar in a somewhat more violent manner? I am also curious as to how a barrel's bore (assuming you are firing bullets through it) will ever do anything other than degrade through wear from the friction and mechanical action of the bullet, the burning propellant behind it and the entailing residue.
    Last edited by Legion_Prime; February 13th, 2011 at 07:51 PM.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Clearfield County)

(Cumberland County)

the problem with barrel break in is that no one can prove it does anything(although after so many cleanings, the copper seems to not stick so much).improper cleaning will for sure harm your barrel.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    How big are these 'microscopic imperfections' that a brush's bristle is small enough to dislodge anything filling them in? Won't a bullet traveling through the bore in excess of the speed of sound do something similar in a somewhat more violent manner? I am also curious as to how a barrel's bore (assuming you are firing bullets through it) will ever do anything other than degrade through wear from the friction and mechanical action of the bullet, the burning propellant behind it and the entailing residue.
    Excerpt from Scheumanns. Undoubtedly one of the best barrel makers in the business:

My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod
    to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very
    slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with
    a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with
    more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets
    You know why a banana is like a politician?
    When he first comes in he is green, then he turns yellow and then he's rotten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast