Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: New to PA and need some clarification

Quote Originally Posted by RUArmed View Post
    Welcome to Pa
    As long you don't have any felonies on your record you are good to buy firearms.
    A commonly held misconception. Some misdemeanors (M-1s and a few specific lesser misdemeanors) are prohibiting, and a few felonies (generally related to business practices) aren't. There are also other disqualifiers including a dishonorable discharge from the military and involuntary commitment to mental treatment. Lots of details elsewhere in the forum.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Welcome to freedom, I escaped 10 years ago. The only things worth while over there is the pizza and Atco.

I hate having to work in that S-hole of a state too. Seriously it really does feel like getting paroled.
    I'd have to add fresh corn, tomatoes, at least in south jersey, and most of the time the price of gasoline.

Other than those, nothing else comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    None of that will affect you being able to get a Firearm and/or LTCF in PA. Welcome to the United States!

Yes, the OP could purchase any pistol or long gun in PA. However, if he choose to apply for a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), he isn't clear and free.

Based on his past bad judgement involving a drug, he could be refused under the Character Clause. One underage drinking, no issue, we all learn. Two, slow learner. Three? Dude didn't learn chit in College!!! Hmmm, might need to establish a long period of time demonstrating good judgement.

Not a Sheriff nor a lawyer but 3 Underage Drinking Citations? Could very well be good grounds for refusal to issue a LTCF under the Character Clause. I'm not totally familiar with the entire State of Pennsylvania but I'm pretty sure Kennett Square as listed by OP for location is in Philadelphia County. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Might be Chester or Delaware but I think its Philadelphia.

CL

PS. Anywhere East of Lancaster City I consider Philthydelphia!!!
    Last edited by customloaded; February 12th, 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Ok, so now I'm really confused. I do not want a LTCF. Some of you guys seem to think I can be denied when I go to purchase a firearm. Can anyone provide any links to actual pa law concerning misdemeanors and firearms so I can figure out if the 3 underages are going to prohibit me from buying a firearm. I just want to be sure. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heym View Post
    Ok, so now I'm really confused. I do not want a LTCF. Some of you guys seem to think I can be denied when I go to purchase a firearm. Can anyone provide any links to actual pa law concerning misdemeanors and firearms so I can figure out if the 3 underages are going to prohibit me from buying a firearm. I just want to be sure. Thanks
    Always check the "stickies" (topics that stay up at the top) for questions that seem like they probably are asked over and over (variations of this one seem to come up several times a week). In this case, it's in the "General" forum: "does-my-prior-criminal-history-prevent-me-obtaining-ltcf-owning-firearms." The first posting includes links to the actual statures.

(Berks County)

...I am looking to purchase a firearm. Actually just a .22 Rifle of some sort.
    Here's a shocker for you.

You are now ALLOWED to own a deadly Ruger 10/22 Assault Rifle. (and you won't have to register it.)

We won't agree on Christie.
    With the exception of his uncertain firearm stance, Christie could be the best thing to ever happen to Jersey.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    ... Please correct me if I'm wrong. Might be Chester or Delaware but I think its Philadelphia.

CL

Chester County.
    Home of mushrooms and fragrant manure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennett...,_Pennsylvania

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Yes, the OP could purchase any pistol or long gun in PA. However, if he choose to apply for a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), he isn't clear and free.

Based on his past bad judgement involving a drug, he could be refused under the Character Clause. One underage drinking, no issue, we all learn. Two, slow learner. Three? Dude didn't learn chit in College!!! Hmmm, might need to establish a long period of time demonstrating good judgement.

Not a Sheriff nor a lawyer but 3 Underage Drinking Citations? Could very well be good grounds for refusal to issue a LTCF under the Character Clause. I'm not totally familiar with the entire State of Pennsylvania but I'm pretty sure Kennett Square as listed by OP for location is in Philadelphia County. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Might be Chester or Delaware but I think its Philadelphia.

CL

I had 4 underage drinking citations and got my LTCF. So if you choose to get it they shouldn't create an issue.
    "I would rather have my freedom and face the danger."

(Centre County)

You should be fine. For many people on this forum, the LTCF is almost a part of buying a gun. It lets you do a lot of things that your everyday "concealed carry permit" won't, like carry a weapon in a state of emergency.

But when it comes to purchasing the firearm itself, there are no licensing, registries, or paperwork other than the background check, with takes all of 5 minutes. For the purposes of the background check, you should be all right, since these underages are defined as M3s in PA. If it was an NJ offense, it's not prohibitive, since these are only punishable by a suspension of driving privileges and a fine of up to $500.

If your offenses were PA, then they will be picked up by PICS, and be defined by PA law (NONprohibitive). If your offenses were NJ, they will be picked up by NICS, and be defined by NJ law (also, I believe, NONprohibitive))

Quote Originally Posted by IraqVeteran87 View Post
    I had 4 underage drinking citations and got my LTCF. So if you choose to get it they shouldn't create an issue.
    Holy Cow! Are you serious? I have no doubt you needed a General Waiver to enlist and I can only hope that upon enlisting you saw the "LIGHT" and have choosen to comply with most laws.

On a side note: a) you musta can't run for shit being caught that many times. LOL b) Aren't very bright when you see red/blue flashing strobe lights and instead of burning rubber, you played bug and went to the lights c) Hung out with some super duper loser's who left you to fend for yourself D) Next time I'm in P-Burgh, wanna grab a beer at a VFW?

CL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast