Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Snyder County)

Default Deal or No Deal on this AR15?

I really don't know squat about AR's and need some assistance. While shopping the one day I came across this AR that was on consignment and thought it would be nice to add one to the arsenal. What I need some help on, is this a good deal? The gun includes the following...

Used prices are rough estimates on what I would pay on today's market. The new prices are averages on the net... I might be off on these figures and if so, please let me know...

DPMS AR-15 5.56 NATO: $700 new : $600 used

Eotech 512: $400 new : $350 used (The eotech that is on the gun might be a 552 which I will check on.)

Midwest flip up front sight: $90 new : $60 used

Midwest flip up rear sight: $125 new : $90 used

Midwest Forend: $160 new : $125 used

Midwest quad rail sling: $36 new : $20 used

Unknown rail mount green laser with pressure switch: $75 new : $35 used

Mako T grip without light: $80 new : $60 used

Stretchy looking sling: $25 new : $10 used

The bottom line totals I get is $1691 new : $1350 used

I offered $1100 and was given a counter offer of $1250. I feel the gun is worth $1175 max. Cosmetically the gun is in like new condition expect the big nut where the stock attaches to, is booger up a little.

What do you all think?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Deal or No Deal on this AR15?

Well my thoughts are that all that high dollar gear attached to it is worthless to me. Although I am guilty of putting very cheap knock offs on my plinker M&P 15-22 (foregrip, red dot and green laser). As for my bushmaster AR, it is plain jane. Do you want all the stuff on there for looks? Do you need all that? If its your first AR, why not just spend 700 on a brand new ar with maybe just a flat top in case you want to put an actual scope on it.

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: Deal or No Deal on this AR15?

For a DPMS, I would only give $700 for it WITH all that gear on it.

I'd strip it all off, try and make my money back seperately, and maybe a little extra, then buy what I really wanted/needed with the proceeds. There's nothing outstanding about the gear, and DPMS is a Tier III rifle.

My $.02 worth.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    Well my thoughts are that all that high dollar gear attached to it is worthless to me. Although I am guilty of putting very cheap knock offs on my plinker M&P 15-22 (foregrip, red dot and green laser). As for my bushmaster AR, it is plain jane. Do you want all the stuff on there for looks? Do you need all that? If its your first AR, why not just spend 700 on a brand new ar with maybe just a flat top in case you want to put an actual scope on it.
    I was thinking down the same line. Since this gun won't get shot a lot and with having a reflex sight sitting here unused, would I be better to go buy a plain jane model and mod it myself. I do like the quad rail on the gun but everything else I really don't need. I could go and remove what items I don't want and sell them, but in the end what method is better to get the most bang for the buck.
    I did see in the shop a Stag that I liked with the quad rail but don't know if that would be a better route to go. In my mind I'm trying to find a happy medium in regards to price, quality, and resale value. With the DPMS the price is right and if I decide it's not the gun for me, I won't lose out on reselling it. If I go with the Stag, I probably can accept price because the quality will be there although I will lose some on resale if I ended up going down that road.

(Bucks County)

if you don't need all the accessories then i would say pass because DPMS rifles are second tier guns and it'll be tough to recoup your money if you decide to sell it in the future. if all you want is a standard rifle i would buy something NIB and then buy the accessories i wanted and planned to use. a few years ago i bought a LNIB colt 6920 w/eotech and beta c drum for 1200 OTD. immediatley sold the colt for what i paid for it and ended up getting the eotech and drum for free.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    if you don't need all the accessories then i would say pass because DPMS rifles are second tier guns and it'll be tough to recoup your money if you decide to sell it in the future. if all you want is a standard rifle i would buy something NIB and then buy the accessories i wanted and planned to use. a few years ago i bought a LNIB colt 6920 w/eotech and beta c drum for 1200 OTD. immediatley sold the colt for what i paid for it and ended up getting the eotech and drum for free.
    Thanks for the advice. If the eotech is a 552 then I might grab it. Can anyone tell me, is a Stag in the same tier as the DPMS? I'm a fanatic of S&W. How would their M&P 15 compare to the Stag?

(Carbon County)

I would rate the S&W a notch above Stag (still not in the same class as Colt, DD, BCM, etc). Stag is a notch above DPMS. I would skip the DPMS package. With the exception of the Eotech, the gear isnt that good. The Eotech is overpriced for a used 512, decent deal if it is a 552. If you are looking for a good rifle that is not expensive look at Spikes Tactical, $800 for complete rifle new.
    Last edited by epointer; February 12th, 2011 at 10:57 AM.

At the end of the day your buying a DPMS with some trinkets on it.
    If your going to spend $1100 on an AR get one with a pony on it, imo.
    Or get a Smith, or a Stag. The Eotech is nice but is that what you want? And don't forget ammo.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Lycoming County)

No deal. The price is very high for a used unit even with the extras on it. You can do a complete, brand new Bravo Company build for that kind of money and have brand new, known quality components.

I speak from painful experience. I hurried into my first AR many years ago and it was a painful and expensive lesson.

You can find better quality used rifles for a better price locally too if you are patient. (I'm not far from you.) You may not need the highest quality/priced rifle but you can find a better deal than that.

Be patient and do your homework. Buy once, cry once. Just curious, where did you see it for sale?

I had a Stag and it was a great rifle. It came to a little over $800 after shipping and background

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast