Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Delay by the NICS?

Asked this question in other forums but want to ask here since its a PA Forum and will probably get more accurate answers.

I have purchased at least 9 pistols, 2 AR's and many long guns over the last 10 years. On 3 of the pistol purchases there was a delay.

Due to this my heart races every time I go to buy, every delay was later approved but it really sucks, and kills the moment when buying.

I have a feeling the delay could be from when I got in a fight on a bus in high school. It was stupid but the charges were to be dropped after a couple months with good behavior. Not even sure what the charges were, was on a Catholic School Bus or would have just been sent to the principles office. I was a kid and never had another incident.

I have a cc permit in Pa, had one in Georgia also.

Is there a way to stop this from happening, its just at random times and delays the purchase for up to 2 weeks.

Is there a number that I can get to stop this from happening?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Delay by the NICS?

In PA, the check is done by PICS, not NICS. There probably isn't much you can do about it. It may not even be related to anything you have done. Someone with a similar name may have been a bad boy, and they want to make sure it isn't him.

edit- someone else may be along with info I'm not aware of. I've never had to deal with the above situation, but it isn't uncommon.

(Clinton County)

Two things first. In PA we go through the PICS system. The other is we have License To carry firearms not a CC permit.

I have been put on research 3 out of 5 times I went through PICS. One was for my LTCF. I have been lucky, they have called back in less than one hour each time I was on research. This is not that unusual to be put on research. The good part is you have been approved each time. But it is a pain.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Warren County)

Thanks guys, sorry for the wrong terminology, guess still used to Ga's permit.

At least its not as uncommon as I thought. I always feel stupid when it happens.

The gun shop owner knows I buy guys quite often and does not understand why.

(Adams County)

Talking Re: Delay by the NICS?

It maybe simply because they are busy at the time of the "instant check!"

(Allegheny County)

I had it happen once and I have a clean slate. I can't tell you how many guns I bought over the last 26 years but it was alot.

I also have a LTC and I get bad vibes sometimes when I buy a gun because it takes what seems like forever to get approved(about 15 minutes average). I have taken first time gun buyers shopping and they got approved within minutes, wish it was that fast for me.

Go back to GA and just show your GA license to Carry and forget about PICs, Nics or any other background checks as the GA LTC nullifies the instant check!!!

CL

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    In PA, the check is done by PICS, not NICS. There probably isn't much you can do about it. It may not even be related to anything you have done. Someone with a similar name may have been a bad boy, and they want to make sure it isn't him.

edit- someone else may be along with info I'm not aware of. I've never had to deal with the above situation, but it isn't uncommon.
    Actually PICS uses NICS. PICS is just a POCS system as a part of the NICS check. PICS not only uses NICS, it also uses a few state databases as well.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Actually PICS uses NICS. PICS is just a POCS system as a part of the NICS check. PICS not only uses NICS, it also uses a few state databases as well.
    "Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could become a M.I.A. and then we'd all be put out on K.P."
    "Conflict is inevitable, but combat is optional.”

NICS or PICS, get a UPIN from the FBI. I did and it took LESS than two weeks. Will never have to face a dang delay or denial again. Its been two months since my last purchase. UPIN is well worth the effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast