Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8 vs 3.8 compact vs 4.5

I'm SURE this has been brought up before, but not in a nice searchable thread (since XDM is NOT searchable...).

Anyway, buying my first gun. Found out I can get any of these for pretty much the same price (at least that's what I thought 10 minutes ago, just tried to re-look it up and failed...).

I can get the 3.8 normal and 4.5 for $593 in my hands after everything.
    I'm not sure about the compact, but I swore I saw it somewhere for a similar price as the other two.

Is this a good price? This is by buying it at buds and having it shipped to the FFL for 25 bucks (including background check). ALL of my local shops have these guns priced at 650 or more out the door. (Heck one shop had it at 650 before taxes) There are no local gun shows any time soon. Yes, I know I could barter with them, but could I really talk them down 50 bucks?

Anyway, I wanted to compare and contrast these guns.

Personally I think the normal 3.8 is useless, as the grip is still the same size as the 4.5, making it almost just as hard to hide.

If you REALLY wanted a 3.8, the 3.8 compact would be the way to go because you could conceal it by using a 13 round mag, or you could take it to the range and use the 19 round mag with the extender. You get the best of both worlds by having an expendable grip. I'm wondering, could you stick the 19 round mag in without the extender on, with the mag just sticking out of the bottom?

But, if you wanted something that you weren't planning on hiding, the 4.5 would be the best option because longer barrel = better accuracy. And 19 rounds is always nice.

Me, I'll PROBABLY go for the 4.5 cause it's just as cheap as the 3.8 normal, and I doubt I'd be carrying it anywhere anyway. And accuracy is fun.

Any other opinions, thoughts? Comments?

EDIT: If you remember me for the kimber vs xdm thread... the kimber is off of the table...
    Last edited by corrado33; February 11th, 2011 at 08:56 PM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Springfield XDM 9mm 3.8 vs 3.8 compact vs 4.5

I have the XD 9mm SC and the XDM 3.8 9mm. I use a forward cant holster when I carry the XDM. No harder to conceal then the XD in a straight up holster and you have 19 vs 13 rds.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM55 View Post
    I have the XD 9mm SC and the XDM 3.8 9mm. I use a forward cant holster when I carry the XDM. No harder to conceal then the XD in a straight up holster and you have 19 vs 13 rds.
    But you could have that with the 3.8 compact too. Just add the extender and use the 19 round mag. Know what I'm getting at?

I'm by no means saying the normal 3.8 is a bad gun. Not at all. It's been around longer than the compact version.

(Butler County)

As far as I am concerned, there is literally no reason to go with the full size 3.8. Concealability is affected primarily by grip length, not barrel length. The decrease in barrel length hurts accuracy (albeit only moderately) and doesn't offer much of an advantage.

If I were you, I'd limit it down to either the compact or the 4.5. If you think you'll want to carry it, I'd just go with the compact. I have the 4.5 and while I can carry it, its not easy.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    But you could have that with the 3.8 compact too. Just add the extender and use the 19 round mag. Know what I'm getting at?

I'm by no means saying the normal 3.8 is a bad gun. Not at all. It's been around longer than the compact version.
    In my case for 2 years I carried the XD SC with the extender. I prefer a full grip. That's why I got the XDM. No sense having 13 rd mags sitting at home. Being a small man the barrel length makes a difference when I sit down. Anything over 4" bottoms out when I sit.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    As far as I am concerned, there is literally no reason to go with the full size 3.8. Concealability is affected primarily by grip length, not barrel length. The decrease in barrel length hurts accuracy (albeit only moderately) and doesn't offer much of an advantage.

If I were you, I'd limit it down to either the compact or the 4.5. If you think you'll want to carry it, I'd just go with the compact. I have the 4.5 and while I can carry it, its not easy.
    Agree with swack... And it sounds to me you(OP) are of the same mind.
    3.8 compact for CC and the 4.5 for everything else. I bought the .40 S&W 4.5" when they first came out and they are very nice guns. Mine is for range and also it is my home defense gun with a TLR-1 rail mount light on it.
    Thats about what I paid then, so unless you run across a nice used one, thats about what you will have to pay for new.

Just seen this in the classifieds...$450 don't sound bad.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/12...d-xdm-9mm.html
    Last edited by Beardog; February 11th, 2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Add link

The only sure fire way to make absolutely certain that you get what you want, and feel no remorse, is to buy one of each. That seems to solve the problem. No I want to go find your XDm v. Kimber thread, and try to figure out why you chose a SA over Kimber... Not putting one or the other down... I own both.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wash View Post
    The only sure fire way to make absolutely certain that you get what you want, and feel no remorse, is to buy one of each. That seems to solve the problem. No I want to go find your XDm v. Kimber thread, and try to figure out why you chose a SA over Kimber... Not putting one or the other down... I own both.
    I'll make it easy for you. Brother bought kimber from guy who needed money. Brother wanted me to buy it for really cheap. Brother realized he actually liked the gun and also that it was worth a lot more than he was going to sell it for. Brother doesn't want to sell it.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    Thats about what I paid then, so unless you run across a nice used one, thats about what you will have to pay for new.

Just seen this in the classifieds...$450 don't sound bad.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/12...d-xdm-9mm.html
    Thanks. Now that I know that I'll probably go ahead and go with it. And the used looks nice... but there are just some things you buy new. I consider guns to be one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
    I'll make it easy for you. Brother bought kimber from guy who needed money. Brother wanted me to buy it for really cheap. Brother realized he actually liked the gun and also that it was worth a lot more than he was going to sell it for. Brother doesn't want to sell it.
    I already read it, but thanks. Ii can understand all that. Let us know how you like the XDm and post a pic.