Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: !911 vs other 45 autos

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    I can't view the link where I am
    What it is is a link to the product page for a mostly-polymer-framed 1911 from Wilson Combat, called a KZ45. Not every 1911 is machined entirely out of metal, which is what you asserted.

[QUOTE=Mostly just look and feel, the 1911 has a unique feel to it. Very few guns can match the feel of a 1911. The most outstanding feature if your 1911 has a good 3.5lb trigger is the smooth crisp release the XD nor the Glock or PX4 or P85 can match the trigger drop of the 1911.

Other then that the new 45acp are superior in firepower and weight. For example the G21sf is 13 shots of 45acp compared to 7 or 8 in the 1911.[/QUOTE]

456- Bottom line it all boils down to the above statement. If you want a 1911 there will be a price to pay either in break in or entry cost. Reading is self discovery and should be done but most people sign on here to get to the grit of things.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    What it is is a link to the product page for a mostly-polymer-framed 1911 from Wilson Combat, called a KZ45. Not every 1911 is machined entirely out of metal, which is what you asserted.
    Well generally speaking they are

Well generally speaking they are

(Allegheny County)

Other folks have given you good answers, especially the answer that there is no simple answer. If you're starting out with guns, though, and interested in self-defense, I'll don my flame-proof suit and dare to give a little advice: look at the modern striker-fired semi-autos like Glock or M&P. A sweeping suggestion like that is automatically wrong, but here are some of the advantages:

* Full-capacity magazines hold 15+ rounds.

* No hammer that either needs to be cocked and de-cocked, or else makes the first round different (double action) than the second round (single action).

* No hammer to catch on your clothing on the draw.

* Smaller and lighter for concealment. I've concealed a full-sized 1911, so it's certainly doable, but smaller and lighter never hurts.

* Trigger isn't as hard as a double-action, nor is it usually as light as a single-action like a 1911. It's probably a good compromise between ease of use and safety for the casual shooter.

* Much simpler to field strip and clean. The 1911 is fairly complicated with lots of pieces. That shouldn't make a difference to reliability, because 1911's are plenty reliable, but it makes maintenance way easier. I enjoy cleaning my 1911--it's a time-consuming ritual, taking at least twice as long.

* No mechanical safety means less to screw up if you have to use it. As long as you keep your finger off the trigger when you're holstering, clearing, etc., the lack of a mechanical safety isn't a problem.

* No mechanical safety means you or your clothes won't bump the safety off. This depends on exactly how you carry, of course, but some people actually discover the safety off by the end of the day. That's mainly true with ambidextrous models, where there's a safety lever facing away from your body, brushing your clothing. It's why I stopped carrying ambidextrous 1911's.

* No grip safety (on most models). Colonel Cooper disabled the grip safety on his 1911 with a zip tie. A cack-handed grip is just one more way not to go bang--and worse, could lead to an ND when you start fiddling with it to figure out why the "trigger's stuck."

There are lots of positives for the 1911, of course, and the answer to most of the negatives above is the same: practice, practice, practice. If you want to carry a 1911 for self-defense, you'll need to practice everything you would for a modern pistol, plus the skills unique to the 1911 like working the safety, de-cocking, etc.

Also, someone is sure to point out that there's something even more reliable out there, and much simpler: a revolver. If you want self-defense with the lowest possible learning curve, the fewest things to go wrong, etc., the wheel gun wins every time. You can get them in .45 ACP as well, though they're fairly big. As far as I know, they don't make a hammerless model either.

all the parts must be machined.
    Or injection molded.

(Delaware County)

LMAO,ROFL, you gotta love it!!!!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Allegheny County)

other .45 autos? what other .45 autos?

Quote Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
    Well my 1911 holds 13 rds and does it in a concealable, lightweight, officer size platform with no extension at all....

To the OP, yes there is a lot of differences between 1911's and other guns like the xd, glock, etc. A 1911 is a single action/hammer fired pistol. Xd's and Glocks are striker fired and have no manual safeties.
    They all launch .45 cal bullets, but their design, operation and "feel" are different.
    If I may say so, that is quite a nice piece you have there. 13 rds? Bump the plastic stuff.
    Last edited by harold63; February 11th, 2011 at 09:23 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    If I may say so, that is quite a nice piece you have there. 13 rds? Bump the plastic stuff.
    Thanks!
    It is a Para Ordnance P12-.45 w/ lightweight alloy frame for anyone that didn't know. I Bought it back in 94' after the high cap ban, I had to send in $$ to Para to get the 12rd mags LOL, But I thought it would make the ultimate carry gun.
    It still is quite a formidable package of size, weight, and fire power after all these years. Some guys don't like the grip but It feels great to me. I usaully carry smaller lighter guns these days, but I still carry this when I want a lot of .45's for that warm and cozy feeling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast