Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Love the CZs, SIG, 1911, . . . Carrying a Glock?

Time for a bit of a ramble, but I hope someone finds it interesting, particularly if they're searching for a carry gun. And, though caliber is a factor in my comments, it comes down to more than that.

When I first joined PAFOA, after buying my first firearm (a CZ-75B), like most of you, I consumed threads like pepperoni pizza and Doritos. "What's the best gun?", "What's the best carry gun?", "SIG or Glock", "1911, yes or no?" You get the idea.

I've accumlated at least 6 IWB holsters for various pistols. And, these all fit guns that I have or had, and have proven flawless at the range. Ultimately though, I'm now carrying (and expect to continue to do so) a Glock 21.

There's no denying that I like the look, feel, and overall accuracy of my P220 Super Match. But, it's big, and being a single-stack .45, doesn't have the capacity of the G21. Same deal with the SA Range Officer. The CZ Rami is nice, and I carried it for quite awhile.

Eventually it dawned on me though. Every gun I own, I love, or I'd dump it. They're all reliable. But, I should have paid more attention to the first few threads I read (and have read since): IMO, all things considered, whether it be a 9mm, .40 S&W, .45, whatever the caliber, I feel that I can trust a Glock with absolutely no reservation - ever. I keep my Super Match on the nightstand with a TLR light attached, and I have no reason to believe it'll fail me, but on my hip, I wanted something that will leave zero doubt as to whether or not it'll go bang, not leave me fiddling with a safety in a moment of crisis, and have a magazine capacity that I feel comfortable with. After having owned an M&P, an FN, and quite a number of other pistols, "Glock" was the one I felt best about. So, having both a G17 and G21, I decided to carry the G21.

Will I carry something else next week? Possibly. Are there other guns that can offer Glock reliability? I'm sure there are, but in my case, it's also a matter of "feel" and how I shoot the weapon. So, certainly, everyone needs to make an informed choice as to what they'll carry.

The point of this isn't so much to say "Carry a Glock or you're a dunce". It's to point out that accuracy at the range, "cool factor", etc, shouldn't be the only things considered when choosing a carry gun. Which is why, again, I should have paid closer attention when folks asked "What are you going to use the gun for?", when I've made purchases, or asked about a particular gun. Had I done so, and really thought about the intended reason, I might not have rotated through so many pistols before carrying this one.

Oh, and I didn't touch on revolvers, only because:
    The only revolver I currently have is a Ruger GP100 (6" barrel), and personally, I'm not comfortable with the limited capacity of a revolver. But, I certainly "get" the reliability factor, and who knows, there might become a time when I'll carry a wheel gun.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Love the CZs, SIG, 1911, . . . Carrying a Glock?

If I'm shooting at my max capacity my P229 can put 2 mags into a hole the size of a quarter at the range at combat distance.

That's if I don't flinch, push, pull, etc. My Glock is pretty accurate too but my EDC is still by far my Sig. My night time gun is the HK USP Compact .45 with a TLR-1 on it. It backs up the Mossy 500.

To each his own I guess. I have no problem with the Glock and there are times when it will fill the bill over my Sig. The Glock is my water gun. Lakes, rivers, fishing, on the chair in the bathroom while I'm in the shower, etc.

(Mercer County)

I can't handle Glocks in any capacity, it almost hurts my hand trying to warp it around that grip. My thumbs also don't reach the mag releases on any Glocks, not even the G36, so I have to uncomfortably shift my grip to release a magazine with a Glock.

Unfortunately, most double stack pistols of any caliber seem to cause this problem with me except for some more expensive brands or designs that have a different type of mag release, such as HK and Walther. Sigs fit my hand perfectly and I can hit all the controls easily with one hand, only problem is the price. I'm considering a CZ-75 because it was a dream to shoot, it felt like a lot like a Sig in my hand, but at a very affordable price.

Daily carry in all weather is always going to be my S&W 642 though. I'm going to have my permit really soon and I've been experimenting with carrying the 642 in various attire in my home, it fits pretty much any dress comfortably and I feel good with the little revolver, just gotta get out and get better at shooting it

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by razorback17 View Post
    I can't handle Glocks in any capacity, it almost hurts my hand trying to warp it around that grip. My thumbs also don't reach the mag releases on any Glocks, not even the G36, so I have to uncomfortably shift my grip to release a magazine with a Glock.

Unfortunately, most double stack pistols of any caliber seem to cause this problem with me except for some more expensive brands or designs that have a different type of mag release, such as HK and Walther. Sigs fit my hand perfectly and I can hit all the controls easily with one hand, only problem is the price. I'm considering a CZ-75 because it was a dream to shoot, it felt like a lot like a Sig in my hand, but at a very affordable price.

Daily carry in all weather is always going to be my S&W 642 though. I'm going to have my permit really soon and I've been experimenting with carrying the 642 in various attire in my home, it fits pretty much any dress comfortably and I feel good with the little revolver, just gotta get out and get better at shooting it
    Have you tried a Glock with an oversized mag release? There are options.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    No, the store didn't have any Gen 4 Glocks or ones with large releases. That might solve the mag release problem, but the ergonomics of a Glock would still be off for my hand.

The pistols that best seem to fit my hands are 1911s, Hi-Powers, Sigs, HKs, CZ-75s and most S&W revolvers. A lot of those tend to be on the pricey side though, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Or a Gen 4.

(Allegheny County)

Glocks are great guns and i sell a ton of them at the shop, but i still can't get one to fit my grip angle (and that includes the Gen4). hence the reason i carry a Sig P220. for me the Sig, no matter what Sig i pick up, just feels natural and comes up and points naturally for me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    Glocks are great guns and i sell a ton of them at the shop, but i still can't get one to fit my grip angle (and that includes the Gen4). hence the reason i carry a Sig P220. for me the Sig, no matter what Sig i pick up, just feels natural and comes up and points naturally for me.
    The P220 is a good fit for me as well. I wish I could've said the same for my P229 Elite. It was the nicest gun I got rid of, simply because of the grip/way it felt in my hand. I still miss that gun though.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Cumberland County)

Glocks are ugly, boring, plain, and simple. I carry 2 of them.

When it comes down to it, as far as I'm concerned, they're perfect for me. Not to say I don't like or own other guns, but I really like.carrying a Glock. I agree with the OP.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Bucks County)

I read every thread i could find, researched everything I could, rented many handguns, and the one I take everywhere and trust everything to is my G20.

I love shooting my P220, but Glocks simplicity, capacity, and durability makes it my edc. The angle works great with me, and my bear paws fit perfectly on the "2x4" grip. I just can't justify carrying half the capacity, or worry about dragging it on trails. The only firearm that I really trust is my ugly, blocky, bulky, unsophisticated workhorse in 10mm. G20 does it all for me, its funny because I went through 300 rounds of .45 in my P220 today and I just wish I had spare 10mm to shoot through the Glock.
    Mostly browsing these days, and expanding the collection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast