Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default shopping for new gun.

Im ditching my p250 as a daily carry and looking for something else. I love the size of the g19, but what else is out there. The xd and the m&p dont have a true "compact" size, just sub compacts with extended grips, which doesnt work for me. Im looking for something with a 4ish" barrel and a grip that i can get all of my fingers on to. The only complaint I have with the glock is the way the mags dont sit flush.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: shopping for new gun.

Look into the FNP .40 or 9mm and if your budget isnt too tight look into a SIg 229 or 239.

Also the Kahr's are so easy to carry because they are so thin and light.but thay are pricey.

Do you have all five digits? What compact is there that you can wrap all your fingers around and have a four inch barrel? I am curious myself, now, since I am not a "compact" person.

(Montgomery County)

CZ-2075 RAMI might be a good choice.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Philadelphia County)

I'll second the Raami but from your description the CZ 75 compact would be the gun for you. It's a shame Beretta stopped importing the 92 fs compact. That would have been the ticket !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

Have you looked at the H&K P30?
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Philadelphia County)

all very good suggestions, and i will be looking at all of them tomorrow. Also, the g19 allows me to get all of my hand onto as well as the p250 compact.

(Philadelphia County)

I love the style of the 75 compact. The p30 is out of my price range. Can I got a form of the 75 with an accessory rail? Its not essential but might be nice.

(Mercer County)

A Commander 1911 might work for you if you're ok with a SAO gun. Companies like RIA and Springfield have budget oriented GI style 1911s in the 450 to 500 dollar price range. You can get all of your fingers on a Commander grip (unless you have enormous paws) and the flatness of a 1911 makes it very good for daily carry. Most Commander sized 1911s these days can be found in aluminum frames and weight under 30 ounces with an empty mag usually. People seem to like RIA 1911s and the price doesn't mean they're low quality, just means they're bare bones and defense oriented.

You could also consider a revolver like a S&W model 60, which would give you the option of either .38 special +P or .357 Magnum. It's a five shot cylinder on a J-frame, so it won't be a burden to carry unless you're extremely concerned with a gun being thin (I don't see a 5 shot cylinder revolver being too thick, they seem to carry very well). I can't remember if S&W offers them in a 4 inch barrel, but I know a 3 inch barrel model 60 is available, which is honestly just fine for carry.

Another option is a used S&W 3913, which is a single stack 9mm auto. In this same class/size/weight are also the Sig P239, the H&K P7 and the Walther PPS. Any would make fantastic concealed carry guns and can double as nice range and home defense guns, the only thing they wouldn't do well would be duty carry because of the single stack magazines dictated a somewhat low round count. Unfortunately, the Sig P239, HK P7 and Walther PPS are all a little pricey, but if price is no option, I'd check out those guns.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by nathaniel.seacat View Post
    I love the style of the 75 compact. The p30 is out of my price range. Can I got a form of the 75 with an accessory rail? Its not essential but might be nice.
    The CZ-75 P-01 is their compact model with an accessory rail. Their rail design is a little clunky, though. It's not really low profile like the rails on some other guns, it kind of makes the front end of the P-01 very chunky and uniform. I've heard many people say it's not an issue for daily carry, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast