Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Cool looking for a daily carry

I am still looking. Now I cant figure out if i want a 40 or 357. Obviously I want something small around a 4in barrell. My wife said my limit is Around 500. What do you think I should look at?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: looking for a daily carry

I carry a Glock 19 in a Comp-tac MTAC IWB (inside waist band) holster for the days I wish to CC, and serpa paddle holster for the OC days when the only pants I have clean are the ones that are too small... I love the G19 and with an MTAC or Crossbreed it will conceal very nicely. Join the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation for $35 and buy a G19 for $425. http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pisto...nformation.pdf
    Last edited by Rotorwash; February 9th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

(Delaware County)

Midsized Glock in whatever caliber (they're all good and about the same)

(Blair County)

Compact Glock 23 or 32. My suggestion would be the Glock 23 .40 S&W because the ammo is more readily avaliable and usually cheaper than the .357 SIG.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Bucks County)

There is hundreds of options out there for you. Best advice is to go to the gun shop and hold as many as you can. Shot friends guns too. I too put my vote in for a Glock. 19 or 23 both would serve the purpose well.

(York County)

Consider the snub nosed Ruger LCR, it has received favorable reviews and the newer 38 +P rounds are closer to the performance level of a 357, with some rounds designed especially for the small revolvers like the LCR. And you can practice with light kicking wadcutters. Lots of choices in this caliber.

(Schuylkill County)

Get a glock36.They are freaking fantastic.Single stack 45acp.

(Mercer County)

Whatever you get, make sure it feels like it's tailor made for your hand. No sense in owning a gun, no matter how proven it is, if you have to force yourself to "like it" instead of naturally having it fit you. This isn't a jab at Glocks, either, so don't take it that way Glock fans!

Here are some guns within your budget:

Nearly any Glock

FN FNP/FNX series

S&W M&P

Springfield XD

Ruger P series

Beretta PX4

Sig P6 (if you're ok with surplus and going to 9mm)

Sig P250

Sig P2022 (can't remember if they have a .40 version of this, but I know it's a great middle sized 9mm at the very least)

A compact CZ-75 such as the PCR or P-01 (might exceed your budget a bit depending where you look for these, you might be able to haggle them down or haggle your wife up on the budget a bit!)

RIA 1911, commander sized, I hear good things about them, the price is so low for a 1911 because they're a very bare bones GI type 1911, which is fine for defensive purposes

And there is a plethora of small .38 Special revolvers out there if you're willing to change your need for a .40 or .357. Ruger and S&W both have carry revolvers now with a half polymer frame, but I really think revolvers should stay metal, so I'd recommend a S&W 642 or something similar.

There are loads of other options out there, this is just what my sleepy brain could come up with for the time being.

Hell of a decision to make. If you are the type that wants a low maintenance gun that you can throw on your person and go, a pocket .357 would be great. If you like to fondel your gun a lot and want something that holds more rounds go with the 40. There is a great selection in both. Glocks are excellent. I also like the Ruger LCRs, and their SP101 is built like a tank.
    My advice follows what others have already said: go to a gunstore and handle the different brands that make good firearms, See Razorback17's list, and note the fact that Glock is mentioned a lot " hint hint" and see which one fits your hand the best.
    Good luck on your selection and keep us updated on your choice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by razorback17 View Post
    Here are some guns within your budget:
    Just to help out, I've edited razorback's list to include only guns which are sufficiently reliable in hard use:

-Glock
    -S&W M&P
    -Ruger P series
    -Sig P6 (note: european style heel mag release versions are not suitable for carry, IMO)
    -Smith, Ruger and Colt Revolvers...if you're so interested...which it seems you weren't...so i don't know why people are suggesting them
    Last edited by victory; February 10th, 2011 at 02:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast