Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Possibly Problematic P239, Sig Experts, Help!

I've been in the market for a single stack Sig in 9mm for a long time. That means a P239 or a P225/P6. Today I found a used 239 in very good condition for $529. I asked to look at it. I dryfired it SA and DA. The double action seemed fine, but the single action pull was long, with lots of take up. That scared me off right away. If I'm buying a Sig I'm buying it because I like Sigs single action trigger. This thing felt like it had more slack to take up than a Glock, and a heavy-ish pull too. Also, when I de-cocked it the hammer seemed to fall sloppily and not come all the way down.

So my question is should I avoid this gun? It's in great condition everywhere else, the bluing is about 90%, everything else looks great. It is an Exeter gun with no German proof marks or date codes. Maybe I should just avoid it because of that...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Possibly Problematic P239, Sig Experts, Help!

i have a couple P239s and what you describe doesn't sound right. it could be worn spings. Ask to disassemble the gun, if the rails are worn (silverish color) don't buy it. you can get a new one with night sights for around $700.00ish.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Montgomery County)

Springs or gunk can really gum up the trigger feel. As for the hammer not dropping all the way when decocked, it is supposed to do that. Sig has a rebounded hammer which is one of the safety features. The hammer hits the rebound position when decocked on all sig double action pistols with a decocker.

If you are really curious, field strip the pistol. Look for any peening around the frame where the barrel articulates. Check for strange scratches or scoring inside of the frame and on the underside of the slide. My bet is that the springs need to be changed and that this was a neglected pistol, as most are.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Mercer County)

Not a Sig expert, but I read about and drool over them often and that sounds very wrong. This may be the reason it's used, someone may have screwed it up and pulled a quick one the pawn or gun shop it got sold to, but that's the shop's fault for not inspecting it. Maybe the shop got it used online and it was in that condition when they got it, who knows? Could also be that some chucklehead fondled it at the store in the past and messed it up somehow and nobody noticed...I've been in gun stores before where the people behind the desk would just hand a gun to someone to feel and they'd walk away and not pay attention, maybe someone dropped it really hard (though that shouldn't affect a Sig, you never know).

At the end of the day, I'm sure whatever is wrong with it can be easily fixed by a smith or by sending it to Sig, but that should not be your job since it's going to cost you on top of the sale price. I'd avoid it, sounds like it's either been abused at some point or maybe it was a very rare lemon from Sig.

If you do want to buy it, I'd show the problem to the people at the store and inform them that they shouldn't be charging that price for a Sig that is problematic, you might be able to haggle down the price then or that might spark them to become interested in fixing it. If they keep it in that poor condition at that price, then they're just interested in ripping off a customer on it in my book. A used Sig in the 500-600 dollar price range should be working very well.

All I do know is that I've shot the P239 before as a rental and it did not do that. Everything I've heard from actual P239 owners has been a stellar review. That one you handled definitely has an issue.

Steve is right about the decocker, though. That's normal, the hammer doesn't go all the way down. Whether or not it was "sloppy" might be subjective...Sig's decocking mechanism is supposed to be very light and crisp once it engages, it should drop in an easy motion and not make much sound at all aside from a little click (compared to some decockers which sound like a train wreck).

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Springs or gunk can really gum up the trigger feel. As for the hammer not dropping all the way when decocked, it is supposed to do that. Sig has a rebounded hammer which is one of the safety features. The hammer hits the rebound position when decocked on all sig double action pistols with a decocker.

If you are really curious, field strip the pistol. Look for any peening around the frame where the barrel articulates. Check for strange scratches or scoring inside of the frame and on the underside of the slide. My bet is that the springs need to be changed and that this was a neglected pistol, as most are.
    The hammer actually seemed to stop higher than it should. I know it isn't supposed to sit flush or come completely down. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my OP. It just didn't feel right.

I am going to go back and ask to field strip it. I'm also going to see if I can work the price down. As was said earlier, a $500-$600 used Sig should work.

(Lancaster County)

239 CPO here with night sights and a warranty for $545

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/239_CPO.html

I would look at the CPOs out there for that price.

I am not sure if you have fired one, but check out a DAK if you have the chance. I am sure you will find those that don't like it, but I am a fan of it. I have the 239 DAK in .40. It is a great shooting gun!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    239 CPO here with night sights and a warranty for $545

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/239_CPO.html
    Yeah, I saw them last night. I just hate buying a gun I can't see in person.

Does it have the "short trigger"?

I had issues with a P239 that had a short trigger (not short reset) that had a double action takeup that was just forever and a day.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Does it have the "short trigger"?

I had issues with a P239 that had a short trigger (not short reset) that had a double action takeup that was just forever and a day.
    You know, it actually might have. I can't remember for sure, but I'm gonna go look at it again tomorrow and see if I can talk the price down. If I can I might just buy it and make a project out of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast