Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bodyguard .38 or 380?

Hey guys, sorry if this is a repost but I'm at work and have limited use and can't search the forums. I'm buying a bodyguard after work today and I'm not sure which to get. What is the scuttle butt as far reliability goes on the 380 automatic? I know the .38 has gotten good reviews but I like the size, fact that it's automatic, and extra round capacity of the 380. I will be using this in the warm months or when clothing/Events won't permit me to carry my Glock 19. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(Butler County)

Default Re: Bodyguard .38 or 380?

Quote Originally Posted by PA_Shooter View Post
    Hey guys, sorry if this is a repost but I'm at work and have limited use and can't search the forums. I'm buying a bodyguard after work today and I'm not sure which to get. What is the scuttle butt as far reliability goes on the 380 automatic? I know the .38 has gotten good reviews but I like the size, fact that it's automatic, and extra round capacity of the 380. I will be using this in the warm months or when clothing/Events won't permit me to carry my Glock 19. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    The 2 models that you are looking at are very different guns. I personally do not own either one, but I do have a "pocket revolver" (LCR in .357) and a few "pocket autos" (Taurus TCP & Keltec Pf9). The Semi will definatly be the smaller and easier to carry of the 2. Personally, I would feel better "armed" with 5 shots of a good .38 special round, than 6 or 7 .380's.
    I can also almost guarentee that the 38 will be the more reliabile of the two. These tiny semi's tend to be finicky and it is far less likely that you will have that issue with the revolver.

In my opinion, if you are looking for something to pocket carry in jeans and such, I would opt for the semi, however if you are simply looking for something smaller to carry on your belt the 38 is the way to go.

Personally, my EDC rig is my LCR .357 in an Atomic Dog OWB kydex holster, but I still use the TCP for pocket carry.

(Montgomery County)

I've debated this with myself as well (higher caliber vs more rounds).

The 380 weighs slightly less and is also slightly shorter. And it obviously is thinner. These are the items I tend to look for in a concealed carry gun. You can also get 2 more rounds with the 380. If you went with the 380, I'd make sure to get really good self defense ammo though, no cheap stuff. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself "which gun can I see myself carrying more?" This is the gun you should go with. For me, i'd buy the 380 as the reviews on both guns are almost identical based on online store reviews.

http://www.glockworld.com/Search.aspx?SS=bodyguard
    Last edited by JasonK007; February 9th, 2011 at 01:34 PM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Monroe County)

.38 special or even better a .357 magnum in a small frame would give greater versatility. That is to say, a wider selection of bullets (if you hand-load)all of them heavier than what you can shoot in the .380. Also availability of factory ammo would be greater. The .380 auto is a decent caliber but it will cost you a lot more for ammo and the stuff is not commonly found.

(Cumberland County)

I dunno, do you like wheel guns? I know I do. There's nothing better than a S&W j frame. However, if it were me I'd be looking at a 642, and they're cheap right now.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Cambria County)

Was going to get a BG.380 myself, until I read of the problems with that model. Issues of the take down pin falling out WHILE shooting and some trigger issues. Look for yourself.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...=110738&page=1

http://www.armstalk.com/?p=1151

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...primetime.html

I would think the 38 wheel gun would be more reliable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    I've debated this with myself as well (higher caliber vs more rounds).

The 380 weighs slightly less and is also slightly shorter. And it obviously is thinner. These are the items I tend to look for in a concealed carry gun. You can also get 2 more rounds with the 380. If you went with the 380, I'd make sure to get really good self defense ammo though, no cheap stuff. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself "which gun can I see myself carrying more?" This is the gun you should go with. For me, i'd buy the 380 as the reviews on both guns are almost identical based on online store reviews.

http://www.glockworld.com/Search.aspx?SS=bodyguard
    I couldn't agree with this more!

I won the .38 at a gun bash and didn't care for it. I ended up trading it to a member here for the .380 and couldn't be happier. I didn't like the feel of the .38, the felt recoil is much more in the revolver which I was expecting, the trigger pull to me was overly long, etc. etc. It just wasn't "right" for me. I have a bud that loves the .38 BG.

I got the new DeSantis pocket holster for the .380 and love it. It's also actually fun to shoot. Good luck!

(Bucks County)

i have a body guard 380 but have only put a dozen or so rounds through it so i can't comment on long term reliability but i can say my gun was incredibly accurate for such a short barrel. Zero malfunctions with the limited number of rounds fired but i'm confident i won't have any issues with the gun. the only thing i don't like about the BG is the laser and iron sites sre not co-witnessed. the BG 380 fits perfectly in a pocket holster and is slim enough not to print so there's no evidence to the casual observer that i have a gun in my pocket.

i'm not a big fan of revolvers and in my opinion the 38 BG is to wide due to the width of the cylinder. the difference in the number of rounds each gun holds isn't a show stopper for me but the ability to carry the gun comfortably in my pocket was a major concern since pocket carry was the primary purpose for buying the gun.

(Montgomery County)

I own the BG 380 and I think it is a very nice reliable little gun. I shot about 400 rounds thru and did not have any issues in fact it was very accurate both with free hand and with the laser. I am not sure the laser is really usefull in a real situation but it is there. It is small enough to fit in a dress pant pocket and be very easy on your pockets. So far I don't have any complains.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Franklin County)

as was mentioned, these guns are both nice but they are apples and oranges. I think you need to consider how you want to carry the gun. If pocket or IWB carry is something that appeals, then I would be leaning towards the 380, not that the little revolver cant be carried in a pocket, it just be carried that way as easily or comfortably as the 380 can.
    It sounds like you are decided on a S&W but I would like to add this. If you havent already done it, find one at a store and handle it. I wasnt a fan of the laser arrangment on the BG 380 I handled. It was super awkward for me to activate it. Your mileage may vary.
    I dont have a BG but I do have a model 60 J frame and just bought an LCP (both very similar to what you are looking at). I got the LCP because I felt the J frame was a tad too wide to comfortably carry anywhere besides the hip. I still carry the J frame because I like wheel guns, I just limit it to hip carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast