Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Amish man who killed wife sentenced to probation

Amish man who killed wife sentenced to probation in custody case
    Filed under: MEADVILLE, Pa. , Amish Murder

MEADVILLE, Pa. (Map, News) - An Amish man who killed his wife in a schizophrenic frenzy in 1993 was sentenced to six months' probation and ordered to pay a $500 fine after pleading no contest to interfering with the custody of their daughter.

Edward Gingerich, 42, pleaded no contest in October to a charge of custodial interference in the departure of their 17-year-old daughter from an Amish community in April. He faced up to two years in prison.

But Crawford County Judge John Spataro limited the jail time Wednesday to the six days Gingerich served in the Crawford County Correctional Facility after his arrest in April.

Gingerich's brothers, Atlee Gingerich, 44, of Union City, and Joseph Gingerich, 43, of Cambridge Springs, had pleaded no contest to conspiracy. They were also sentenced to six months' probation and a $500 fine.

Authorities alleged that the girl was locked in a barn by her two brothers in April and then persuaded by her two uncles and her father to leave. State police found the girl four days later in McKean County. The girl's brothers were not charged.

The girl has lived with her grandparents in the Amish community since Gingerich was sentenced to prison in 1994 for killing and disemboweling his 29-year-old wife, Katie. He said he killed her with a kitchen knife to exorcise the devil and because she was planning to attend a wedding without him.

Donna Doblick, an attorney representing Gingerich and his brothers, said Gingerich left the community with his daughter because he wanted to spend a short vacation with his children. He had not given up parental rights to his daughter and assured her he would bring her back to her grandparents after their weekend away, she said.

"It never occurred to them ... that going away with her father and brothers was criminal," Doblick said.

Edward Gingerich returned to the Brownhill Amish Community near Cambridge Springs last year after living out of state following his release from prison in 1998.

---

Information from: Erie Times-News, http://www.goerie.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Amish man who killed wife sentenced to probation

I like chocolate milk.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I like chocolate milk.
    Believe it or not I prefer the "Dutch Chocolate"-flavored Isopure Whey Protien mix over both Hershey's chocolate and Nestle Quik mixes. You'd think it would taste nasty compaired to the "bad for you" chocolate milk mixes, especially since it's mixed with water not milk, but I love the stuff, it's like my special reward for finishing a grueling lifting session.

Now chocolate ovaltine on the other hand, that's a whole different ball game all together. That stuff is just plain diabolical. ::drool::

I know medics & firefighters who responded to that original ordeal. It was apparently so henious that one quit and a few needed counseling.