Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Help me spend my hard earned dough...

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    the garand is a nice gun but outdated in my opinion and i wouldn't want it for anything other than it's historical value and range use plus shooting 30.06 can get expensive. the scout is also a nice gun and a better choice than the garand but the scout has limitations when it comes to mounting optics and other accessories and mags are a little expensive. the FAL has the cool factor going for it but it too has issues when it comes to mounting optics and accessories. between the three i would go with the FAL first and then the Scout.
    The M1A scout uses the same mags as the standard size M1A. They can be had fairly cheaply for $25 shipped from 44mag.com (current USGI CMI mags). Standard M14/M1A optic mounts can also used on the scout as the receiver is the same. You don't have to use the forward mount. In fact, you can take it off and replace the handguard with a standard one and it's just a regular M1A with a shorter barrel (this was the old Springfield "Bush" model). The popular mounts include Bassett and Sadlak. I have a McCann I got for about $140 that has served me well.

BTW, I would go for the M1A being able to shoot .308 but you could buy a Garand then buy a bunch of ammo to keep you satisfied.

Lets say a solid Garand ($700-900) and a thousand rounds ($650-750). That would be around $1350-1650 total well under your limit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop View Post
    The M1A scout uses the same mags as the standard size M1A. They can be had fairly cheaply for $25 shipped from 44mag.com (current USGI CMI mags). Standard M14/M1A optic mounts can also used on the scout as the receiver is the same. You don't have to use the forward mount. In fact, you can take it off and replace the handguard with a standard one and it's just a regular M1A with a shorter barrel (this was the old Springfield "Bush" model). The popular mounts include Bassett and Sadlak. I have a McCann I got for about $140 that has served me well.
    true about the scout but an AR15 chambered in 308 is still 100% more versatile than the scout, can accept lots more accessories and you can mount any type of scope without the need to buy a mount. DPMS, armalite, rock river and bushmaster all produce AR15's chambered in 308 at prices starting below 1200 bucks so you're saving 300-500 over the scout.

My vote is for the Garand. A true war horse they will only get more rare with time and increase in value too. Plus they are just plain fun!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
    Your question really made me cringe. You sound like a kid who just got $20 for Christmas. Your question should be how do I save or invest my hard earned dough. If you feel it is important to get an M1, then get one. That should be independent of any influx in spending cash you just received. Perhaps you are just joking, but it is the genuine attitudes, like this one, that are destroying our country from within.
    Save? Invest? Why? So when the dollar finally takes a dump all you have is worthless paper? Saving up money is pointless when the federal reserve controls the value of it. If you really want to save, buy silver. Guns will always have value, even more so when money is worth nothing. Buying guns are one of the best things you can do for our economy, they are one of the few things that are still manufactured in this country. The thing that is destroying our country is complacency, ignorance, and lack of responsibility. Majority of people don't know or realise what is actually happening to this country, instead they're only concern is what fancy new phone will come out next or who is blowing who in hollywood. I'll leave it at that without getting into a huge rant about the government.

Oh, and another rifle you might want consider is the Kel-Tec RFB, I am really torn between that and a Sig Sauer 556R right now...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Op my pick is not a semi auto but Ill throw it out there any way! Check out watsons weapons<google it! They have a bad ASS .50BMG upper that wil fit on an AR lower. Mine was $1500.00 a few years back. I would up trading it for something else. Look on the bright side if you get a hog with the .50 it wall already be gutted!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Joester41 View Post
    Save? Invest? Why? So when the dollar finally takes a dump all you have is worthless paper? Saving up money is pointless when the federal reserve controls the value of it. If you really want to save, buy silver. Guns will always have value, even more so when money is worth nothing. Buying guns are one of the best things you can do for our economy, they are one of the few things that are still manufactured in this country. The thing that is destroying our country is complacency, ignorance, and lack of responsibility. Majority of people don't know or realise what is actually happening to this country, instead they're only concern is what fancy new phone will come out next or who is blowing who in hollywood. I'll leave it at that without getting into a huge rant about the government.

Oh, and another rifle you might want consider is the Kel-Tec RFB, I am really torn between that and a Sig Sauer 556R right now...
    WOW.....i cant believe someone actually thinks like me... sure, i could of dumped 30,000 in the stock market. what would i have ended up with?
    too risky for me. guns are my currency. if you know what to buy you wont lose. and you dont have to pay bigbro shit.........
    FJB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123