Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Any feedback on the ATI - Xtreme Machining AK-47

Quote Originally Posted by countrytech View Post
    I don't know if the one I checked out was milled or stamped (I didn't know the difference) I was at a little gun shop in back country part of New York about a month ago, and they had one of these ATI AK's there for only $500 (new) It felt nice & solid, not to mention it looked pretty cool, why the huge price difference?

Also is there a big advantage to milled vs stamped receivers?
    Last summer... hmmm...

This wouldn't by chance be their (ATI's imported) GSG AK-47/22? They were about $500.00 back then, but were selling like rancid pork, so...
    They have been getting clearanced at various vendors for under $400 (or less) these days. Dunham's has been selling their "Mikhail K. commemerative" version recently. Not a horrible .22, much like their GSG5, only in AK form. Plus they had wood options and poly options and the kewl AK100(??) left-side-folder option as well.

If nothing else, ATI's cust svc is Henry-like in their goodness.

As for milled vs. stamped; IMHO - the uber-bargain milled AK these days are those Century milled "Polish 1960" guns. Uses a machined AK recvr as opposed to a stamped, folded, riveted, spot-welded sheet-steel AKM recvr.

These "1960 Polskis" can be mix-master re-furbed Polish or mixmaster re-furbed Polish-Russian parts. The original wood is often mismatched grains.
    Get the correct bayo, but no cleaning rod. Still, sweet guns for under $600.00.

Century must've used the same builders that did commendable work on their Yugo AP M70AB1 and AB2 AKMs. Sweet AKMs that have since pretty much been all bought up..

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by countrytech View Post
    Also is there a big advantage to milled vs stamped receivers?
    Milled receiver is cut out from an 8 pound hunk of metal. Stamped receiver is, well, stamped from a piece of sheet metal, with bolt carrier rails welded in, stock and barrel trunnions riveted in, and trigger guard riveted to the bottom.

Milled AKs have more of a "quality firearm" feel, but the weight and cost sort of defeat the purpose and appeal of the AK. I speak only for myself here, YMMV. Many of the stocks and some other parts are made specifically for the more common stamped AKs and will not fit milled versions.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Centre County)

Xtreme Machining are good guys.

And I'm not just saying that because they're from my home town and I want them to sponsor me at comps and let me use one of their 338 Xtreme rifles in April.

I just purchased one yesterday at Fin Feather in Ashland Ohio, I thought having one with a new receiver might be the way to go. Nice solid gun. The dealer didnt have any answers about the ATI company, I asked if there was any warranty, he didnt know.

My pricing was $525.00. I later found out MSRP is $499.00. I made several attempts to call ATI and just get a answering machine.

Gun & Ammo magazine shows upgrade kits from ATI for the AK, I dont see it on the website.

I give it a thumbs up....Now on to search for the ammo......

(Pike County)

Do you think the stamped model for $499 be free of mag wobble and canted sights like some of the Century models have? What about a side mounted scope rail?

Edit: It does come with a side mounted scope rail.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; February 3rd, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Beaver County)

For $499 I'd rather buy and convert a saiga due to the chrome barrels. The ATI is very attractive though and it's good to see a decent company, HOME GROWN AT THAT!, take forgotten and unused kits and make an affordable and sexy rifle.

(Pike County)

This rifle doesn't have a chrome barrel? Lame.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lebanon County)

These have been out for 6-8 months now. I have sold the milled model, and everyone like's them, no complaints. The only one I have is they increased the price of the milled, so they will run 650'Ish. still a good value for a milled AK.

Arsenal I'snt making production milled as far as i know of, only limited runs for 1k plus. Buy american.

Xtreme Machinging - their AK ad:No personal experience here with xtreme machining, personally I would like to see Penna become a major gunmaker again. I googled Xtreme Machining, unfortunately:

akimboAKs
    January 8, 2011, 10:29pm
    Last september i bought an american tactical imports milled reciever ak-47. Not the 22Lr by gsg, this one is 7.62x39 and made by xtreme machining.

WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK! After about 500 rounds the screws in the rear trunnion completely stripped out from the recoil of the gun. Yes it has screws holding the rear trunnion, not rivets like most stamped receiver aks. So i send it back to xtreme machining and a month later i get it back. rear trunnion looks fine, but now the barrel is moving in the receiver. Not the handguard either, the entire barrel. Send it back again. When i get it back after another 100 rounds i'm back to square one. The rear trunnion screws are stripped out again.

Now i'm trying to get a full refund on the rifle. Stay away from this rifle at all costs. Ati and xtreme machining have no idea what they are doing!

ON a side note Thanks to Campsite Sports Shop in Huntington for pretty much bending over backwards to make this situation right. They sent the rifle back every time it broke. I didn't have to do anything just hand it over and they did all the leg work.
    Source:
    http://www.longislandfirearms.com/fo...75.7705/s-all/

I just bought this thing from a friend for 400 bucks. All I knew about AK's is that the milled one tend to command a little higher price. I had no idea what I was buying. It was put together with screws and a Bulgarian parts kit was used. Even the rear trunnion, which I now know was not the correct way to built an AK. ....This POS will be another persons problem. Im selling it. Not even going to deal with it. If anything good has come about because of this, its that I have learned some about AK's. I still have alot to learn yet, but its a start.
    Source:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83363
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12