Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Help! SD40 shooting low and to the left.

A few month back I purchased my first handgun, a S&W SD40. I have put a fee hundred rounds through it and I am either low and to the left or off target completely at 25yds. I will not claim to be a great shot, but I have shot other handguns before and I was decent. I have been reading some other reviews of the SD40 and it seems that shooting low and to the left is a problem experienced by others as well. How can I fix this, apart from aiming high and right? The back sights are adjustable (I believe) but I am not quite sure how to go about making the adjustments without getting it completely out of whack. I am hoping to alleviate this problem so that I can continue to increase my ability at shooting. Thanks everyone!
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Default Re: Help! SD40 shooting low and to the left.

The rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation? If so then that's an easy enough fix.

I would sooner believe that you are the problem (no offense lol). Why don't you start at 7-10 yards and see what happens. Also take a look at this wheel of shooting problems:

(Cumberland County)

First off, there is just about zero reason for you to shoot at 25 yards. Your pistol is called called an SD40. Ever wonder what the SD stands for? I'm guessing self defense. 25 yards is way outside normal self defense range.

If I have trouble hitting paper with a gun I start close. I'm talking 5-7 yards. Once you can confidently blast the center out of a target from up close slowly start to move back. Try 10 yards, and if that works move back further. If not stay there until you can do it.

Might the gun have issues? Perhaps, but move up and try to get some consistent groups. That'll help you figure out what the problem is.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I have never shot the SD40 but I had the same problem and the chart posted above helped me greatly. I just printed a few out and off the the range. Fixed the problem on one visit. Also trigger control may help. I learned that from a class I took with Gabe Suarez here in Texas.

Make sure your pistol is safe to dry fire, empty mag and chamber. Take up all the slack in the trigger until you feel the pressure just before the gun would fire. Press the trigger the rest of the way to dry fire. Keep the trigger pressed all the way back. With your other hand rack the slide. Very slowly let out the trigger until you feel it click/reset. Press trigger again without the slack. Your shooting should get better when you are using live ammo. It took me a little while to get used to where the reset was on my pistol but I am a much better shot now that I know.

If this helps great. Again I have never shot a SD40 so I am not sure about the trigger reset but I would imagine this may help.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

The SD40, just like the Glock, Sigma, and a lot of other DA pistols, has a definite distance that the trigger must be pulled - some longer thanothers, some have a definite letoff. Some shooters find that the way and place they position their trigger finger on the trigger has a LOT to do with where they hit. Try for a different placement, that will ensure that you will not be altering the alignment of the pistol during trigger squeeze. Having some experience with double-action revolver shooting has made the transition easier for some.

Usually this "down and left" hitting can be traced to recoil anticipation, and "pushing" the gun at about the time it goes off.

Lots of concentration, and consistent dry-firing can help you spot your tendency.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    The rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation? If so then that's an easy enough fix.

I would sooner believe that you are the problem (no offense lol). Why don't you start at 7-10 yards and see what happens. Also take a look at this wheel of shooting problems:
    Lol. I am sure that I am a big part of the problem; but as I read reviews from people with a lot of firearms experience and they had the same issue I didn't feel so bad and thought the issue could be with the gun as well as me (but more me lol). Thanks for the chart, I will definitely use it to help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    First off, there is just about zero reason for you to shoot at 25 yards. Your pistol is called called an SD40. Ever wonder what the SD stands for? I'm guessing self defense. 25 yards is way outside normal self defense range.

If I have trouble hitting paper with a gun I start close. I'm talking 5-7 yards. Once you can confidently blast the center out of a target from up close slowly start to move back. Try 10 yards, and if that works move back further. If not stay there until you can do it.

Might the gun have issues? Perhaps, but move up and try to get some consistent groups. That'll help you figure out what the problem is.
    Thanks for the info. I shoot at 25 yds because the range that I am a member at only has 25yds and 50yds on the pistol range, as it is an outdoor range. They are building another range that will have closer ranges. I may have to join another range, and I will definitely take your suggestion to start close and go further out as I get better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobkelley View Post

Make sure your pistol is safe to dry fire, empty mag and chamber. Take up all the slack in the trigger until you feel the pressure just before the gun would fire. Press the trigger the rest of the way to dry fire. Keep the trigger pressed all the way back. With your other hand rack the slide. Very slowly let out the trigger until you feel it click/reset. Press trigger again without the slack. Your shooting should get better when you are using live ammo. It took me a little while to get used to where the reset was on my pistol but I am a much better shot now that I know.

If this helps great. Again I have never shot a SD40 so I am not sure about the trigger reset but I would imagine this may help.
    I have never tried that before. Am I just trying to see where the reset would be so that I can improve trigger control?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    The SD40, just like the Glock, Sigma, and a lot of other DA pistols, has a definite distance that the trigger must be pulled - some longer thanothers, some have a definite letoff. Some shooters find that the way and place they position their trigger finger on the trigger has a LOT to do with where they hit. Try for a different placement, that will ensure that you will not be altering the alignment of the pistol during trigger squeeze. Having some experience with double-action revolver shooting has made the transition easier for some.

Usually this "down and left" hitting can be traced to recoil anticipation, and "pushing" the gun at about the time it goes off.

Lots of concentration, and consistent dry-firing can help you spot your tendency.

Flash
    Thanks for the info. I will try the different finger placements on the trigger. I will also try to be cognizant of not anticipating the recoil to see if that helps.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Allegheny County)

Ball and dummy drills will fix that for you. Have a friend randomly load dummy rounds in the mag. When you reach one and your jerk the trigger/flinch you will notice it. Combine that with lots of good dry fire and you should bring those rounds on target. Good luck.

Might try doubling up on your hearing protection i.e. plugs and muffs. Sometimes the added muffling will make it easier to concentrated and not flinch. IMO most of what we used to think as recoil turned out to be the muzzle blast.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

I have never tried that before. Am I just trying to see where the reset would be so that I can improve trigger control?

Yes. Let's say your trigger travels .5" to fire. .4" inches of that is slack in the trigger that you have to take up before the shot is fired. If you constantly are having to take up the slack then that leaves a lot of distance for you to jerk the trigger or anticipate recoil. Only moving the trigger .1" is a very short distance in which the margin of error is less likely.

Now I am not sure about the distances listed above those are just fake numbers to get my point across.

(Mercer County)

These are my range training requirements....I fire at different distances from 5to 25 yards. Most police agencies use a course of fire similar to this; IMHO if the Cops are shooting out at 25 yards for their qualification couses I should be shooting at the same distances or further.
    I worked for the PA Department of Corrections is this very close to their annual weapons familiarization course for hand guns.

5yds: (14 rounds) draw, fire 7 rounds one hand, reload, transfer to opposite hand, fire 7 rounds.

7yds: (14 rounds) draw, fire 7 rounds, reload, fire another 7 rounds.

15yds: (12 rounds) draw 2 rounds, stay at lowered ready, fire 2 rounds from lowered ready on signal.

25yds: (21 rounds) From the standing, 7 rounds prone, 7 rounds kneeling, 7 rounds standing.

I am shooting 7 round because my firearm is a Model 1911.

I shoot this course of fire at least 3 time a month; usually 4 times (twice right hand strong side & twice left hand strong side) monthly.
    I included shooting weak hand for a reason...About 20 years I broke my right wrist and had to teach myself to shoot and draw left handed. I usually spend half of my range time being a lefty.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast