Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Hi- Point 995 Carbine

I bought a Hi-Point 995 last weekend at Dunham's on sale for $155.00, then walked down to Wally World and spent another $40.00 on a scope and rings. I've never had a rifle except for a .22, never had a scope, either. So I did my best guess install and finally got around to trying my handywork out yesterday. I gotta say, for less than $200.00, this thing is cool! 9mm is about as cheap as centerfire ammo gets, so- Plink on!

My back yard is about 15 - 20 yards deep, fairly thick woods after that. It took about 10 rounds to get sighted in (remember, no scope experience), after that I was able to about tear a hole in the target. Not bullseye, but in the same area, every time. If I had to guess, I'd say about a 3" ragged hole group. I suppose I'll be able to shrink that down, but for a first date, I'm a happy camper.

Anyone else have this gun? Got stories?

Keith
    PAFOA PROUD!
    USMV M/C

Smile Re: Hi- Point 995 Carbine

I have one as well, best $200 I have spent. Cheap to shoot and very accurate out of the box. I have no scope and I can get 2" groups from 30 yards..good for me (not a good shot). I was going to sell it to finance part of my AR15 build, but it is too much fun and inexpensive to shoot. I hope to teach my little girl how to shoot with it one day, do you think 30 months is to young?
    I plan on getting the after market stock from ATI. Makes it look like a Beretta Storm.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Hi- Point 995 Carbine

I've got a 4095 and love it, same thing as the 995 but in .40 S&W. Its got great accuracy and reliability, well over 2k rounds through mine and I honestly can't remember more then 1 or 2 FTF's.

Mines slightly modified with a red-dot scope and vertical fore grip, it was seriously the best $200 gun-related dollars I've ever spent and would recommend one to anybody, either 9x19 or .40 S&W, having shot both.

I'm sure you don't believe me because of the "its a Hi Point..." argument, I was once like you... Seriously, just try one out, you'll be surprised. Oh, and they've got an unconditional, lifetime warranty; you can break it on purpose and they'll fix it for free... Gotta love that.
    Last edited by walther; September 4th, 2008 at 01:45 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by walther View Post
    I'm sure you don't believe me because of the "its a Hi Point..." argument, I was once like you... Seriously, just try one out, you'll be surprised. Oh, and they've got an unconditional, lifetime warranty; you can break it on purpose and they'll fix it for free... Gotta love that.
    Normally that argument with regards to high point is a good arguement Except in the case of the rifle. They shoot great
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

I had one. was great for the price I paid ($75) .. kept it till I got an UZI.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by CPratt View Post
    Normally that argument with regards to high point is a good arguement Except in the case of the rifle. They shoot great
    Yep, agree totally. I owned a Hi Point .40 pistol as well a few years back and that was probably the worst gun-related $100 I ever spent, ended up giving it to a friend (with proper transfer of course). It was fairly accurate but FTFs were common.

I will say though, they've got EXCELLENT customer service having dealt with them a number of times in regard to said pistol. If their pistols were as good as the carbines I'd be tempted to say they were a damn good company but that's not the case.

To anyone considering a Hi Point carbine: definitly buy one! You won't be disappointed, stay away from the pistols though...

(Adams County)

Damn I've been wanting one of those. It's too bad that you can't get good hi-cap mags for it.

Which Dunham's? Hanover I assume? I may need to head over there.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Damn I've been wanting one of those. It's too bad that you can't get good hi-cap mags for it.

Which Dunham's? Hanover I assume? I may need to head over there.
    Yeah, Josh, Hanover. The sale is off, they're $219. I'll bring it along on Sunday if you want to give it a try. Mags are available from Hi-Point, but they're only 10 rounds each.

I just picked up a set of 9mm dies from Bass Pro today (I had a gift card) because I just know I'm going to be shooting way lots more 9mm. Cool little carbine.

Keith
    PAFOA PROUD!
    USMV M/C

One of my buddies grandpa's is all about rifles. He just happened to run across a hipoint carbine for $135 including a cheap red dot scope on it in 9mm. He wanted us to give it a shot and see what we thought. I was hitting coke cans at 100 yards no problem with it rested. Off hand, I was hitting 50 to 75 without any problems either. I fired maybe 250 rounds and didn't have any problems or failures whatsoever. I was kind of impressed, and although I don't own one, I wouldn't consider it a bad buy at all. I had the most fun that I've had in a long long time just plinking around.

(Montgomery County)

I couldn't get my hands on one for over a year, then suddenly I owned 3 of them, all 995s. These are great little carbines, fun and cheap to shoot.
    I don't have any experience with the pistols, but I seem to remember a discussion about FTFs and limpwristing. I'm not calling anyone a pansy, I'm just saying that I remember guys talking about the blowback types requiring a slightly different grip. Like I said, I have no experience with the pistols.
    I believe the discussion may have been here: http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast