Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Chiappa 1892 Lever Action Locking Open

I have a NIB Chiappa 1892 Carbine Lever Action in .357 mag. When I tried to cycle the action with dummy rounds, the action locks open. I have a hard time removing the round that is stuck (it will not chamber). What is causing this and can it be fixed easily? I am using .38 dummy rounds, but I do not think this would cause the problem.

Also, I would like any detailed step-by-step information in disassembling this rifle. Unfortunately, the manual does not address this at all.

And, I just discovered a crack in the butt stock near the right receiver.

Thanks for your help in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Chiappa 1892 Lever Action Locking Open

Lever action guns can be very finicky about the overall length of cartridges. Try cycling .357 mag. inert ammo through it or take it to the range and attempt to live fire it- with .357 ammo.

If it's brand new and the stock is cracked- it should probably go back to the factory for a warranty repair.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Chiappa 1892 Lever Action Locking Open

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Lever action guns can be very finicky about the overall length of cartridges. Try cycling .357 mag. inert ammo through it or take it to the range and attempt to live fire it- with .357 ammo.

If it's brand new and the stock is cracked- it should probably go back to the factory for a warranty repair.

Thanks for your reply. I had considered the .38 Special vs. the .357 mag issue, but the .38 should work, as in my other rifles. I will take it to the dealer and tell him of the problems. If the dealer wants to check the cycling, then the .357 ammo would be used. Then again, the gun still has to go back to the manufacturer anyway with the cracked, albeit very hairline, stock. I also noticed some small rust spots on the receiver and barrel band. WTF!?!

I am beginning to think that the Rossi 1892 just might be better made than this Chiappa. I was not impressed with the Rossi when Legacy Sports sold this.