Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1911 firing on safe!!!!

Hey all,

I'm working on 2 builds, a 45 colt series 70 and a wilson conversion kit for the 22. Ok, so last week I built them, checked them, had my smith check them, and shot them both at the range. They both worked!
    However...

the 45 ejected brass forward, badly mangling it on the way out. I'm thinking it was too strong of a recoil spring, so I have a new one to try.

The 22 was having the slide hang up on the spur hammer. So In attempting to switch to the commander hammer I have sitting around, and put the spur onto the GI.

(sorry for the drawn out story, but both pistols worked and all the parts worked...)

In putting the spur hammer and new beavertail onto the GI, I noticed that it will fire on safe! (not checking with ammo, obviously). It seems to push on the safety, and flip the safety off as it happens. If I am holding up on the safety while I pull the trigger, the hammer drops to half cock. although, there are no problems when I dont have the grip safety pressed.

So my question is, what is my next step? check the grip safety or replace it? Fit it better (not sure how). Or take it to my smith as a bag of parts and hand him that and a check... I've done that before, but would rather not do it again.

The 22 should be working, but the tacticool krylon paint is drying and I haven't had the chance to safety check it yet.

Thanks for your help!

Steve
    Edit/Delete Message

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 1911 firing on safe!!!!

There are no "drop-in" or interchangeable parts in a 1911. If you are switching the hammers between the two guns, you will need to make sure that the parts are all refit and working properly. It is likely that the geometry is different enough putting the spur hammer on the GI that the thumb safety is no longer fit properly. It is very important to go back and make sure all of the ignition parts are fit properly, and if they cannot be fit properly, replace them and then fit them properly. I would probably just thin the sides of the spur hammer so it doesn't drag on the .22 slide. That is assuming that all of those parts were indeed fit properly to begin with.

(Centre County)

If you're going to be doing that kind of work on your own, I would highly suggest that you get Jerry Kuhnhausens book on the 1911. Very good book, highly detailed with lots of good pictures and a great troubleshooting section. It will tell you everything you need to know to fix your gun. You can get it from midwayUSA or Brownells and probably other book sources. Well worth the money if you really want to know your 1911 inside out.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lawrence County)

When you say "Safety" you need to say whether it's the grip safety or the thumb safety. It's almost impossible to follow what you're saying.

The grip safety just blocks the trigger bow from moving rearward. You bevel it so the gripping rotates it up and allowing the trigger bow to move under. The thumb safety blocks the sear leg when in the "up" position. You can see this relationship if you install the parts without the grips or grip safety on the gun.

Start with a 16lb recoil spring on the .45 and tune the extractor to that for a good beginning.

Lycanmoreinfoneededthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

yeah sorry guys, I wasn't sure what I was talking about while I did it.

I meant thumb safety. Turns out it was out of spec, and I ordered and fit a new one. Did all the safety checks, everything works and the gun goes bang and not full auto. looks like a success!

thanks for the help.

Steve

(Bucks County)

Stevie,you're making my eyes bleed.
    If you are interested in building 1911's bring your stuff up here to the shop and I will get it straightened out for you, while you watch.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter