Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Just joined Easton Fish&Game! Some Q's

My indoor range membership at Classic Pistol is about to expire so I thought I'd try out an outdoor range this year and just joined Easton Fish & Game, anyone else a member there? Do they sell targets there or should I bring my own targets and backer board? Also are there any strange restrictions I should be aware of, like no more than 3 rounds in a mag, no rapid fire, etc? Also it mentioned on the membership card steel and clay bird targets are allowed, what are those exactly? I shoot mostly 44 mag revolvers and 9mm pistols. It will be my first time shooting at an outdoor range, I just want to make sure I don't do anything stupid! Thanks for any info!
    Last edited by Hugazombie; February 5th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Just joined Easton Fish&Game! Some Q's

I am a member & Range Officer @ EF&G.

Backer boards should be on all ranges already.

Bring your own targets & stapler/pushpins. None of these are provided.

Do not post targets near support braces, post in the middle of the backer boards.

There are steel targets (plates) on a couple of the ranges. Clay birds (clay pigeons, skeet, etc.) can be purchased at department or sporting goods stores.

Those targets are allowed only on impact areas, i.e., where backer boards already exist.

The rules are on the back of your membership card. You should have had to read & initial each rule on the membership application.

Rules state, "NO FULL AUTOMATIC fire, wild hip shooting, or rifles in .50 BMG allowed."

Rapid fire is generally frowned upon, as some of the neighbors complain that there is full automatic fire taking place. Yes, even though there is no way to differentiate between one member shooting rapid fire & several members firing at close intervals.

Rapid fire definitions can be different from member to member & RO to RO.

There is a 25yd pistol range with covered benches. You can shoot up to 44. Mag on this range.

Any other questions, let me know. If I can't answer, I'll find out for you.

(Northampton County)

Forgot one thing (maybe 2)....be safe and have fun!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by norman_kent View Post
    Rules state, "NO FULL AUTOMATIC fire, wild hip shooting, or rifles in .50 BMG allowed."

Rapid fire is generally frowned upon, as some of the neighbors complain that there is full automatic fire taking place. Yes, even though there is no way to differentiate between one member shooting rapid fire & several members firing at close intervals.

Rapid fire definitions can be different from member to member & RO to RO.
    Hello Norman, I have been following this thread as I plan on applying for membership at Easton Fish&Game once the weather gets better. I am very concerned about the rate of fire too. I realize that dumping the magazine as fast as you can pull the trigger is discouraged but can I shoot more than one shot every few seconds? Better yet how would you do it to avoid upsetting people on the range?
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Northampton County)

There is a huge difference between even 1-2-3 rounds per second & full automatic fire.

As you said, dumping your mag as fast as you can is probably going to get someone upset, as is any type of rapid fire that appears to be careless.

There are multiple issues here...the first being safety. When I see shooters at the range, I don't know how long you've been shooting, nor do I know what type (if any) training you've had, or how proficient you are with your firearm.

If there appears to be a member (or guest) engaging in uncontrolled fire, destructive behavior, or if their rate of fire appears to be exceeding their ability, they will probably be told about it.

If your neighbors appear annoyed by your rate of fire at the covered pistol range, there is also a 'tactical' range, which may be a better place to shoot since generally only 1-2 people can shoot there at a time. This is NOT to say that you can blast with careless abandon at this range either, but you are less likely to piss someone off.

In general, just be courteous & don't do anything that you wouldn't do if you knew there was an RO standing over your shoulder.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by norman_kent View Post
    There is a huge difference between even 1-2-3 rounds per second & full automatic fire.

As you said, dumping your mag as fast as you can is probably going to get someone upset, as is any type of rapid fire that appears to be careless.

There are multiple issues here...the first being safety. When I see shooters at the range, I don't know how long you've been shooting, nor do I know what type (if any) training you've had, or how proficient you are with your firearm.

If there appears to be a member (or guest) engaging in uncontrolled fire, destructive behavior, or if their rate of fire appears to be exceeding their ability, they will probably be told about it.

If your neighbors appear annoyed by your rate of fire at the covered pistol range, there is also a 'tactical' range, which may be a better place to shoot since generally only 1-2 people can shoot there at a time. This is NOT to say that you can blast with careless abandon at this range either, but you are less likely to piss someone off.

In general, just be courteous & don't do anything that you wouldn't do if you knew there was an RO standing over your shoulder.
    So generally speaking you could probably fire 2-3 rounds in say a 2 second period as long as it's done in a safe manor that doesn't interfere with the guy in the next stall?

(Northampton County)

I don't think you'd have an issue with that.

However, since a) there is no explicit rule against rapid fire, and b) any definition of rapid fire is purely subjective...I think we're going to start beating a dead horse here.

If you're putting it on the paper in a safe manner, I don't think there's reason for anyone to complain.

(Pike County)

Well it varies depending on the range. I had a bad experience at a range I no longer attend because of this issue. The range officer was giving me a sob story how he's going to get in trouble and blah, blah, blah. I didn't care for his attitude or how he spoke to my father and I am very defensive when people talk to my family members like he did. In this case we always operated the rifle safely, kept all the rounds down range and on target. So I wanted to have a clear understanding on this topic.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; February 11th, 2011 at 02:36 PM.

(Northampton County)

EFGA is a great range. I've never had a problem there, but that's because I always follow the rules.

(Northampton County)

LifeInPa -

If an RO or another member happens to say something to you about your firing habits, be pleasant & courteous & expect them to be the same.

If they aren't, ask for their name & report them to the board.

If you are planning on doing something that got you into trouble at another range, don't think that anything I say here means it won't get you into trouble at EF&G, even if there is no 'official' rule to cover it.

SAFETY FIRST. BE COURTEOUS.

I have been at the range where I've seen members filling up 2-3 pistol mags and just 'blowing' through them. Not as fast as they could, not unsafely, not dangerously...so I kept my mouth shut. Up to them if they want to waste their money on ammo.

I was not shooting that day, I stopped down as RO (although I am always wearing the RO badge) I didn't say anything to the guy as I couldn't see anything 'wrong' with what he was doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast