Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Starting to reload

Years ago, I acquired a reloading press. I wasn't interested in reloadng but it sort of fell into my lap when a friend's wife was pressuring him to get rid of all things gun related because of "the children."

So this press, a Lee progressive loader with case feeder and powder measure, has been taking up space in my basement and I've been giving serious thought to starting to use it.

Since I can see this hobby becoming time intensive, expensive and consuming, I thought that I should ask a few questions before beginning.

Is it really much less expensive to reload now that ammo prices have gone up so much? I mean less expensive than buying ammo. I never got into it before because I did the arithmetic once years ago and the cost difference between buying reloads and reloading wasn't much. That was ignoring the cost of a press and other gear.

Next question. What other gear do I need to buy before I jump in. I have the press and a precision scale that I bought for something else. Do I really need to invest in a case cleaner right off the bat?

I only shoot pistols so I would only be reloading for pistol calibers.
    Last edited by NRA Recruiter; December 25th, 2011 at 03:25 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Starting to reload

I think the case cleaning is mostly to prevent from mucking up the dies and also you will be able to see any defects better on the brass.

I've seen some youtube videos of people just using a vinegar solution and just shaking the brass around in that for a while to get it somewhat cleaned up. Kind of like the sonic cleaners.

You will need a book if for anything to get the different loads for your caliber. although I've seen that most gun powder manufacturer websites have the data for their powders on the site. But it is just a good idea to read the book to review the reloading process and learn what to potential problems to keep an eye out for.

Youtube is your friend.. watch the videos that feature your press or caliber you are reloading. They will help a lot.

There are tons of threads with your exact questions/concerns on here. search is your friend.

If you don't shoot very much.. Then the time to reload will not be worth it. If you budget yourself "x" amount of dollars a month to spend on bullets.. Then depending on that amount, you prob could reload more rounds for the same price, or in theory, just spend less money, get the same amount of rounds, and thus you would be saving money and shooting the same amount.. Most people opt for the more rounds for the same amount of money.. So they never see a savings.. Just see more range time.

For me, I scrounge the range for brass whenever I can. so my brass cost is zero most of the time. I will sometimes buy once fired brass though.

45acp
    Factory is .35cents per round
    Store reloads can be about: .20-30cents , using your brass, lots of 500
    U reloading: .10-.15cents per round
    casting my own bullets: about 5-8 cents a round.

Something to consider.. Your reloads when worked up for your gun are better compared to the match ammo prices.

Your time needed increases with each one though.. Casting and reloading requiring the most amount of your time. Things are faster with a progressive machine though.
    Last edited by Pkspawn; December 25th, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Montgomery County)

A vibratory case cleaner is not necessary. folks reloaded for many years by just washing brass before case cleaners existed.

For pistol brass I still more often than not just wash brass rather than tumble.

its not all shiny but it is clean enough to not gunk up the carbide dies

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    Years ago, I acquired a reloading press. I wasn't interested in reloadng but it sort of fell into my lap when a friend's wife was pressuring him to get rid of all things gun related because of "the children."

So this press, a Lee progressive loader with case feeder and powder measure, has been taking up space in my basement and I've been giving serious thought to starting to use it.

Since I can see this hobby becoming time intensive, expensive and consuming, I thought that I should ask a few questions before beginning.

Is it really much less expensive to reload now that ammo prices have gone up so much? I mean less expensive than buying ammo. I never got into it before because I did the arithmetic once years ago and the cost difference between buying reloads and reloading wasn't much. That was ignoring the cost of a press and other gear.

Next question. What other gear do I need to buy before I jump in. I have the press and a precision scale that I bought for something else. Do I really need to invest in a case cleaner right off the bat?

I only shoot pistols so I would only be reloading for pistol calibers.
    Money-wise ...
    I spend the same amount of money if I am buying commercial ammo or reloading.
    I get to shoot more if I reload.

Also, one thing I prefer about reloading is that as long as I have the components ... I have ammo.
    If I buy ammo, I am delegated to the mercy of the market.

As far as a vibratory case cleaner, it isnt necessary really.

Soap and water is a good start.
    I've read about some guys using vinegar and water for about 20 minutes to clean the brass right before resizing.

For the mechanical minded, there are plenty of home made tumblers out there to base a home made design on.

Pistol calibers are pretty straightforward to reload.
    As with anything, it's that initial investment thats hard to swallow.

(Susquehanna County)

Well you pretty much got the straight dope on costs.

But, before you make the plunge and actually try to reload your first round go out and buy 2 good reloading manuals. I suggest Speer #14 and the current Lyman (but then I'm prejudiced) and read the how to sections a couple or three times before you make any decisions about what bullet, what powder and do I really want to do this.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Somerset County)

I loaded for probably 20 years without a tumbler, I just wiped them down with a rag to get the case lube (rifle, lube not needed with carbide pistol dies) off. I second the vote for a Lyman manual and another. My latest was a Hornady, mostly because I use a lot of Hornady bullets. But over the years, I have acquired Speer, Sierra and a couple of others.

Contact Lee, see if they have an owners manual or instruction for your press. Progressives are quite a bit more complicated than a single stage. Learning can be done on them but go SLOW to make sure all the steps are completed properly.

I usually try to select a powder that overflows or nearly overflows the case if it accidentally gets a double charge. There are plenty of instances where a double charge of a fast powder is not noticed and the gun goes boom.

Good luck

Dale

(Berks County)

I only shoot pistols so I would only be reloading for pistol calibers
    Good thing about reloading for handguns is the brass lasts damn near forever. I have .45 cases I have reloaded so many times I can hardly read the headstamp anymore.

Is it really much less expensive to reload now that ammo prices have gone up so much? I mean less expensive than buying ammo. I never got into it before because I did the arithmetic once years ago and the cost difference between buying reloads and reloading wasn't much.
    The biggest savings are going to be with ammo like .45 and .357's.

9mm and .40 will be marginal on savings...but ONLY if you compare the price of your homemade ammo to the CHEAPEST PLINKING CRAP ammo you can find.

I have seen a lot of guys make comments like, "XYZ 9mm ammo is cheap...there is hardly any justification reloading it to save only a penny or two". When in reality the "cheap" XYZ ammo is inaccurate as hell, and even a pain to practice with because it goes all over the place.

You should be able to make yourself custom ammo that works perfectly in your guns, you won't be able to buy that at a store for any price.

Starting out will take some time, buying small batches of bullets and powder to find those "magic loads" that work well for each firearm. Once you do this, and you have some recipe's that work, THEN you start looking for deals and buying in bulk, large lots of primers=savings, 8 pound jugs of powder compared to the 1 pounders= savings, buying 1000 projectiles at a time instead of 100= savings.

Here is a link to the LEE website where they have the instructions and equipment manuals if you need them: http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Instructions.html

Good luck, be safe, and keep asking questions if you have any.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Beaver County)

There are a lot of good demos on Utube for Lee presses,that would help familiarize you with how they operate,and how to cure some of the hiccups that can happen.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.