Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Glock 19 - Fobus too tight

I went to look for a hip holster for my G19 yesterday. I looked at a standard Fobus paddle holster and was planning on getting it until I stuck a pistol in it and tried to pull it out. It went in nice but was nearly impossible to pull out. When I say "nearly impossible", thats an understatement. It actually took three people to get that G17 out of the holster. We had to stick an ink pen down inside the trigger guard area of the holster and pry it open to remove the pistol. I know these holster require some break in and some lube but this was totally rediculious, one person prying the holster open while another yanked on the pistol.
    Needless to say, Im not impressed.
    I bought an Uncle Mikes Kydex holster. The gun fits in nice and comes out nice.
    I know Fobus has a good rep as a quality holster and Uncle Mikes doesnt so Im wondering why.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Glock 19 - Fobus too tight

It's a retention holster. You have to be wearing the holster, grab the pistol grip, turn the grip inward toward you and pull straight up. That is how it worked for me when I wore this same setup regularly 10 years ago, don't know if anything has changed since then. Also it helps if you have a stiff belt.

Edit, you know what that was for my Bianchi Accumold, for a Fobus you still have to be wearing the holster and pull the gun straight out quickly, snap it out. They are almost impossible to get the pistol out if you are not wearing it.
    Last edited by MartinBrody; February 5th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    It's a retention holster. You have to be wearing the holster, grab the pistol grip, turn the grip inward toward you and pull straight up. That is how it worked for me when I wore this same setup regularly 10 years ago, don't know if anything has changed since then. Also it helps if you have a stiff belt.
    Porbably a bad holster from the factory. It shouldn't take 2-3 grown men to remove a gun from a passive retention holster(or any holster for that matter).
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBrody View Post
    Thats what we (myself and two store associates) thought, so a couple of us put the holster on and tried different things. The result was the same, we had to eventually remove the holster with pistol in it and pry it open. Maybe we didnt twist it enough.

(Franklin County)

I felt kind of bad when I left the store. I didnt bring my Glock with me so we were using one of the store's guns (a new 17) and we put a couple of nice marks on the slide trying to get it out of the holster.

(Chester County)

If you put the holster on then it should have come out, maybe jcabin is right then, it was out of spec.

I wouldn't worry about their Glock, the scratches were probably just plastic from the holster and the pen and will rub off. If they were prying with something other than plastic then it was their bad.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Those fobus holsters are the bigest pieces of shit out there. They're good for dicking around at the range but please don't carry in that thing if you can avoid it.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Those fobus holsters are the bigest pieces of shit out there. They're good for dicking around at the range but please don't carry in that thing if you can avoid it.
    This would be the problem. Stay away from Fobus. If you really want a paddle holster check out the Safariland ALS. I have one for my 27 and it works with my 19 as well. I don't really like the paddle myself, but if you want a paddle holster that's the one to get.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Something was obviously wrong with the holster you got.(Assuming it was a non lever holster)

I picked up the holster below a while ago and have been carrying with it for a little while now. The retention is just right however it was a little harder to pull out when it was new. I didn't use any oil or anything on it. If you have a couple of Glocks which are the same frame/slide size you can use it, whether full size or compact. Only downside to me is the exposed muzzle as I tend to bump against things when I'm working.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Only downside to me is the exposed muzzle as I tend to bump against things when I'm working.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    The other main downsideS to that holster are.

1. The paddle attachment isn't too secure. They can be ripped off the belt pretty easily.

2. The "roto" type attachments aren't very strong and can be stripped with a bit of force.

If you're going to be carrying OWB I'd look at something with belt loops. There's no reason to go that cheap on a piece of equipment that can save your life, especially when there's so many good holsters to be had for around $50

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast