Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Federal Tactical HST - 450 Million Homeland Security Order Indicate Quality?

I'm trying to determine the best self defense round for both a 9mm Ruger LC9 and 45 ACP Springfield. I had some 9m Critical Defense that I bought 3 years ago but haven't had the chance to test yet. I also got a deal on Winchester Ranger Bonded ZRA9B 147s a few years back that I've haven't run yet either. Still trying to determine the best to buy for both calibers - want maximum expansion, not affected by clothing and Black Flag-type "we kill bugs dead" guarantee.

Obviously, a government agency placing an open order for up to 450 million rounds will get a person's attention. So, is the Federal Tactical HST really the best there is out there, or does it simply reflect what might be bureaucratic "that's always what we bought" mentality or might include "good ol' boy" kickbacks, etc?

Default Re: Federal Tactical HST - 450 Million Homeland Security Order Indicate Quality?

Federal is a govt supplier.....not sure that Hornady is rendering the comparison moot.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Federal Tactical HST - 450 Million Homeland Security Order Indicate Quality?

Federal HST is good ammo. There are other brands that make the same quality or better. Federal probably offered the best deal on the order. I also think alot of federal agencies have been carrying Federal HST for a while though.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Carbon County)

I think that the gov buys on price, maybe I am wrong.
    But more to your point:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIbNm5by77I
    or
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...st-ammunition/
    or
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...p/t-52005.html

Is that the ammo you are asking about?

(Lancaster County)

Standard government procurement procedure, purchase from the lowest bidder unless they can show just cause to purchase from a single source.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Federal HST is good, but the contract doesn't mean it's "the best."

Gov agencies typically buy from the lowest bidder that meets their specifications. I suspect DHS specs for terminal ballistic performance are probably similar or identical to the current FBI barrier test criteria.

However, there are also pages and pages of specs that have nothing to do with the ammo's performance - stuff like delivery schedules, packaging, documentation of QC procedures, yada yada. And it's certainly not unheard of for some non-critical aspect of the spec to be tweaked behind the scenes to favor a particular supplier. It's also quite possible that other manufacturers were simple unable or unwilling to commit to an order of that size at a locked-in price.

My three personal rules of thumb for defensive ammo selection are:

1. All handgun calibers are marginal stoppers.

2. Current LE-grade ammunition from the major US manufacturers are all very close in performance... i.e., comparably marginal.

3. The reliability of ammo in your particular gun is more important than gel tests, water bottle tests, celebrity endorsements, street statistics, etc. That in turn means it has to be affordable enough to thoroughly test it.

(Washington County)

Federal Tactical HST
    Winchester Ranger T
    Speer Gold Dots
    Remington Golden Saber

Those are the 4 best in my opinion.

Check this link out for a list of best self defense ammo, created by very knowledgeable people in the know.
    http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

The Federal, Ranger-t, and Remington can be had at about half the cost of the Gold dots usually.
    Its usually LE contract overruns or ammo a department backed out on. 50/rd (25/rd for golden sabers) boxes as opposed to 20/rd where you get ripped off for the same ammo. (PDX1 at walmart is just Ranger-t bonded ammo, but twice the price.)

SGAmmo and ammotogo have a good selection and prices (helps if your ordering other ammo to offset the shipping)
    Last edited by Saddlerocker; April 15th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

For the first few years after the HST hit the market I could not give the ammo away. Winchester blew it when they ran out of ammo in 08.

This opened the door for Federal and it finally caught on. I have seen the demand increase every year since.

I still carry Ranger in all of my guns but would not hesitate using HST if that was all that I had.