Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Savage Scout Rifle 7.62 x 39 Bore Diameter?

I called up Savage this morning to find out the bore diameter of their Scout Rifle in 7.62x39. (Model: 10 FCM Scout, manufacturer's sku 19128)

The Customer service rep would not give me the bore diameter. He stated that he was not allowed to pass me that information.

As it was pointless to argue, I thought I would pose the question here, in case anyone owns this rifle and knows the answer.

The reason I would like to know is to determine my reloading possibilities if I were to purchase one.

I know the CZ527 in 7.62 x 39 has a bore diameter of .311 (posted on their website) and was wondering about the Savage.

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Savage Scout Rifle 7.62 x 39 Bore Diameter?

The 7.62x39 diameter is .311. The bore should be the same from rifle to rifle.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

More importantly, what is the air pistol in your sig and avatar?
    The Lord Bless You

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post

One would think so, but I have read (and [I] suspect teh OP has to, hence the question) that some American companies and ammo use .308.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    One would think so, but I have read (and [I] suspect teh OP has to, hence the question) that some American companies and ammo use .308.

ReconLdr:
    You are correct, however, unfortunately, the word "should" is not always taken as an imperative.

Rundownfid:
    Bingo. Simply wanted some confirmation on this particular rifle from an "authoritative" source.

41 Redhawk:
    (Admittedly off topic.) Avatar pic is a Hammerli 208 (.22 LR). Signature pic is a Morini 162e.

(Mercer County)

Thomae,

Unless you really meant "bore diameter", perhaps you meant "groove diameter"?... I find GD to be of a much greater concern and interest when I'm choosing which bullet diameter, or mold/sizer to buy after slugging.

Perhaps you already know what the picture below demonstrates, if so maybe others will find it helpful:

Last edited by Guns N'at; March 11th, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

(Centre County)

Guns N'at: Dang it, my ATD (attention to detail) is severely lacking! Apparently you listened to what I meant, not what I said. You are 100% correct as to what I should have written...I should have been more precise with my words. Thanks for pointing this out. I would not want to mislead anyone who didn't know better.
    Cheers,

(Dauphin County)

I am unaware of the Savage Bore diameter, However. I can tell you that the Ruger Mini-30's use a .308 bore diameter in their rifles and use a trick called "free-boring" to make the guns shoot .311 bullets. The benefit of this is that it makes the gun able to shoot the oodles of Russian ammo that is manufactured with .311 bullets with a slight degradation of accuracy(and who cares since Wolf ammo isn't very accurate to begin with) while a competent reloader can reload using cheap and available .308 diameter bullets. It's a cleaver trick and works well. Savage may do the same thing, but I'm not sure. I would ask Savage if they recommend any particular type of ammunition for the gun, that may give you a clue.

(Centre County)

Old Thread, but I wanted to update everyone. I did purchase a 10FCM scout in 7.62x39. I like it and am shooting 150 grain CT Partition golds at about 2300 FPS which allow me to maintain 1000 foot pounds of energy out to about 225 - 250 yards.

I added an adjustable aperture to the rear peep sight. It helps with varying light conditions. I shot a small doe at about 80 yards this past hunting season. No trophy, but really good eating; tender and not gamey at all.

After hunting season, I replaced the front sight with a Williams "fire sight" same height, but red fiber optic. It should help with the dusk and dawn sighting. I had tried painting the original brass bead white, and although that helped a bit, the firesight should help more. I also purchased a hood for the sight so I don't bang it off on a branch.

Although I did load development with a low power LER scope, I took the scope off and can still shoot about a 4-6" group off the bench at 200 yards with the iron sights.

I also slugged the bore (used a 32 wadcutter [314" diameter] as the slug), and as I thought, it is a 308" bore, not a .311".

That's all I can think of right now. Questions? Ask and I'll try to answer.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for coming back and updating the post.

since it's .308 have you shot any .311 ammo (Wolf, Brown Bear, etc.) and if so how did it do accuracy wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast