Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default MD/DC Firearms Transport and Locking Methods

Hello all. I began my search on this a few days ago, but I figured you would all have some pretty good insight, so why not just throw a post up and ask. On short notice I am relocating to northern Virginia for at-least 6 months. Luckily I'll be working and living in VA so our reciprocity is solid. Occasionally I'll be driving back and fourth between VA and PA. On my two trips down there so far I have proceeded to lock my ammo in my glove box and lock the gun in my bed mounted toolbox (I drive a pick-up.) As far as I know this is legal method of transport through DC/MD/DE but if I'm wrong someone please point that out to me. My Utah permit should be coming in any day now so DE is going to be even easier and if it somehow the new bill manages to pass it will make MD easier as well (Bill 9?). My real question is infrequently I'll be required to travel from work into DC and/or MD. My company has more or less a don't ask don't tell policy of conceal carry while at work. The dilemma will be where to lock the gun when I do have to travel. If I'm taking my truck it's fairly simple, lock the gun the way I usually do. However if I'm traveling with someone else I'd either have to go to my truck or lock it in the office. My intention is discretion even with my co-workers at the office. I just ordered another small fireproof safe that can be secured via a cable as well. What's your opinions on locking a firearm at work and leaving it? Obviously I would prefer being able to discreet lock it at my desk rather then explaining why I have to run to my truck every time I'm asked to travel with a supervisor. Ultimately I'm a little torn on this. Also I've been looking around at a lock box for inside my truck (2010 Sierra.) Unfortunately I haven't found anything custom for it yet like I had for my old truck, but I'm not opposed to just picking up another small fireproof box and securing the gun inside my truck rather then in the exterior toolbox. Any opinions on whether it's more secure to have a gun locked in a semi-visible safe (which is also cable locked to the truck) vs. a limited security diamond plate toolbox?

I appreciate any and all opinions. I'm on a time crunch and with everything else going on I'd like to have this be one less thing on my mind.

(Chester County)

Default Re: MD/DC Firearms Transport and Locking Methods

I'm presuming you have a Pa LTCF.

For you trips between Pa and Va if you want to garner 'FOPA' transport protection, DO NOT lock the ammo in the glove box. Here is the proper method of transport for intervening states that otherwise prohibit your possessin or transport of the firearm.

18 USC 926A
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    With respect to your traveling for work into DC/MD I presume you mean that you are performing some work at a stop in those areas. I can't speak specifically to DC laws though I suspect that they mostly likely forbid your possession. As to MD you would be violating the MD Criminal Code 4-203.

In short you can't take your firearm for stops in DC/MD unless you have licensure that they recognize or fit some exemption to their firearm laws.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Thanks TL! That's definitely some good information. I do have a PA LTCF. I appreciate the info and clarifications. This portion of 926A confuses me a little bit though

"Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Does that mean that the ammo and gun can be locked in the same container (unloaded of course) within the cab of the pick-up truck or is this implying that I need two separate locking storage boxes inside the truck? I'm assuming its the later but for visibility reasons I would much rather not be carrying around two safes while transporting between PA and DC

(Washington County)

IIRC, the transport laws only protect you if you are traveling through, with a reasonable allowance for a stop to sleep. Thats it, no other detours.

Unless it's NJ, and all bets are off.

I would just leave it at home if I were you, unless you get an out of state MD permit, which is possible, just not probable.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    IIRC, the transport laws only protect you if you are traveling through, with a reasonable allowance for a stop to sleep. Thats it, no other detours.

I would just leave it at home if I were you, unless you get an out of state MD permit, which is possible, just not probable.
    Hey Azzy. Yeah, my intention is to only have my gun with me when I'm traveling straight through MD/DC (From PA/VA). Like you said with the exception of stopping to get gas or maybe a bite to eat. What I'm now curious is to see if I need to have two separate lock boxes in my truck since I've been illegally using my glove box as the location to lock my ammo. But yeah I'm definitely going to be following your guy's advice and not be stopping or conducting any business along the way.

Really the second part of my original post was intended to ask people's feelings on whether it's safer to lock a gun in my office (in VA) or in my truck (which would be parked in VA.) I guess the national forum section isn't really the best place for that discussion. Anyway thanks for your further insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    I'd put DC in the same category, though you shouldn't have a problem avoiding it on the way. Take the beltway around the Virginia side.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I'd put DC in the same category, though you shouldn't have a problem avoiding it on the way. Take the beltway around the Virginia side.
    there is about a 500ft section that passes thru DC on that side.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Thanks TL! That's definitely some good information. I do have a PA LTCF. I appreciate the info and clarifications. This portion of 926A confuses me a little bit though

"Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Does that mean that the ammo and gun can be locked in the same container (unloaded of course) within the cab of the pick-up truck or is this implying that I need two separate locking storage boxes inside the truck? I'm assuming its the later but for visibility reasons I would much rather not be carrying around two safes while transporting between PA and DC
    As far as 926A there is no requirement to have separate containers for firearm and ammo - only that the firearm be unloaded and the firearm and ammo be relatively inaccessible. I would further recommend that there be no loaded magazines.
    IANAL