Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 629 vs 29

(Lackawanna County)

Default S&W 629 vs 29

Besides from one being stainless steel are there any big differences? Which do you prefer and why?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: S&W 629 vs 29

I think the model 29 classic is one of the most handsome revolvers I have ever seen. That said, I dont own one but do have a 629. Once you ditch the rubber grip its still a looker but not quite up there with the 29. My 629 is as accurate as they get so Im not complaining about it at all. With either one you will have a great gun. Post pics when you get it.

(Monroe County)

I've got a 29-4 in satin black with the 8-3/8" barrel. With the walnut custom grips ... one sweet looking weapon.

From what I've read, the model 29's weren't really built for modern 44 mag loads unlike the newer Dan Wessons and Super Red Hawks. Starting with the 29-3 S&W started to improve the model 29 to reduce the stress related frame cracking. With the 29-6 the gun was at it's peak for steel. The next step was SS .... and one of the best 44mags on the market.

(Cumberland County)

Talking Re: S&W 629 vs 29

I have a Model 29 (My first handgun Purchase in 1978) 6 inch Blue ..What a beauty...I also have a 629 DX (From hat I was told S&W took the best shooting of the 629's and put the DX "Deluxe" after the Model #.. This as a stainless in 8 3/8 very accurate ..But the model 29 Silhouette will still beat it..With its 10 5/8 inch barrel...

(Delaware County)

Old blued smiths just look better.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Daddy View Post
    Besides from one being stainless steel are there any big differences? Which do you prefer and why?
    To me a .44 mag S&W revolver means blued, so I prefer and own a 29. I bought my 29 Classic in Germany (Rod & Gun Club) in 1991 sight unseen, except from seeing pictures in their catalog. It has a 6.5" barrel, full lug, interchangeable front sights, and the rest of features you get with any Model 29. Although the full lug is not exactly in line with traditional 29 revolvers, and purists consider it blasphemy, it shoots extremely well and does include the factory included "endurance package". I have shot it a lot with very full power handloads, and the action, lockup, and function are still very good.

Only change I may have made was to go with the 5" barrel; to me it looks a little better proportioned, and I like the look better. Here are some quick snaps of it, in case you have never seen one.

Can't say I am as big a fan of the newer ones that have a lock, MIM, and firing pin in the frame, but I'm sure they shoot well. Although Ruger .44 Mag revolvers are built more robustly, I much prefer the S&W's feel, and IMO and experience, the trigger from the box on the Smith is FAR superior. FWIW and I may be wrong, but I think any standard production/non special run .44 mag from S&W is stainless only today, and may force your hand if buying new.

(Mercer County)

The only difference is the pre 29s and early 29s are worth a lot more $$$ than the newer 29s and 629s.

I own Model 29s, 629s, and 329s and each has it's place and use IMHO:

The early blued Model 29 with Cokes or the Target Grips are beautiful and works of art. I use them for shooting at the range on nice sunny days and do not allow them to have holster wear.

The Stainless 629s are great for carry & hunting applications. The stainless ones are for use in type weather. No problem with holster wear and the goodyear grips can take a "lickin" and keep on "tickin"

The 329PDs due to their under 30 oz weight are great for carry and I will use them come rain or shine...Don't care about holster wear as these in my humble opinion are the ugliest of the 29 series.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lackawanna County)

thanks for all the advice! Life is long and im sure i will come across another 29-2 it will just take some time. I am thinking of taking my 29 to gander and try to trade it for a 500SW. Hopefully there is some young idiot working and they wont notice the problem.

(Montgomery County)

Your call, but I would send back to S&W. They have a lifetime warranty - why not take advantage of it?

Also, bad Karma to knowingly pass off a firearm pretending it has no problems. More than likely, no one at Gander will take a firearm in until it has been looked over by someone with some experience. So could just be a wasted trip.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    Starting with the 29-3 S&W started to improve the model 29 to reduce the stress related frame cracking.

there was no frame cracking issue.
    the issue was they shot loose, and got knocked out of time.

i do not like the full under lug found most of 629 classics.

the lock, mim parts and frame mounted pin(which is nothing new for smith anyway) do not bother me one bit.

4" m29-8 and 6.5" m29-10.
    i bought the dash ten new in the box, and for jacketed bullets, it has seen nothing but full house loads...lock up is just fine.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast