Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Thumbs down Keefers in Pine Grove

Stopped by last night to look around, and was interested in some milsurp ammo in battlepacks I saw on the floor. There was no price on them, so I asked what he wanted for them. The guy behind the counter, the owner I believe said, " That stuff just came in, I don't know how much it is". There were no other customers in there at the time, how long would it take to check? His wife, I believe, even asked if he was going to look, he just didn't seem interested. Also, most interesting guns in the racks are marked SOLD. WTF? I won't be going there again soon. This was my experience, others may feel free to comment on what a wonderful place this shop is.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Keefers in Pine Grove

I've only been over two or three times... Nothing real special. One of the only reasons I returned is because it was the only place I could find primers during the shortage...
    III%

I have been going to Keefers for years...Dave and his wife are alright...they are country folks...heck I don't look white and it took them a while to warm up to me.

They have a ton of rifles...Dave said he has probably 3,500. He works a full time job and the gun shop is his side business. The man works a lot of hours, so I can see why he doesn't seem interested all the time.

He has some oddball rifles in there.

I myself won't go again unless I would find one heck of a deal on a gun I would want and had cash/credit.

I had a pistol in there for rebuild and it sat 6 months (no joke) without ever being worked on. I kept calling to find out the progress and shall we say Dave is a great story teller. (sent it out for paint, got it back it's here somewhere, got it back now looks real good, color came out great, sent the barrel back to taurus should be done in about a week) Let me tell ya nothing got done, no duracoat, no gunsmithing and he almost lost the gun.

Don't order a rifle either, I said I would take any make any brand Ar-15 in M4 configuration and he said he'd get one in two weeks (distributor always had them so he said) waited 6 weeks and gave sizable deposit plus trade. Had to take a total different gun just to get over the whole mess.

Wife likes to spin yarns about Nobama serializing bullets just to drum up sales while she could be helping Dave find customers needs. If your not helping, your just part of the problem.

I feel bad for Joe. He seems to be the only one in the shop who knows how to take care of people but his hands are tied because Dave just flits about.

I saw a previous poster say about the pile of sold stickers on the rifle racks out in his shop floor. If you would layaway a rifle at Keefer's keep in mind that it does not go into a holding area for 90 days. It will stay on the floor for every person to pick up and play with. It could be scuffed or played with by everyone who comes in the shop. What are the possibilities someone could just rip the white tags they place on their guns from just being ripped off and someone walking up and buying your laid away gun. Unless they change/d this I see trouble brewing.

My review is not to totally bash Keefer's but just to point out some corrective actions that could be made for a better shopping experience.

All in all prices are fair 7 out of 10
    gunsmithing what gunsmithing?
    wait time expect an hour just to get in line while Dave goes meandering about, another 30 - 45 minutes to fill out paperwork.
    Last edited by fallout3gunnut; February 27th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Yeah, I don't post much, but this really warrants a reply:

I went there when I was home on Christmas leave. It's a sizeable shop. Unfortunately, all of the nice/interesting weapons are marked SOLD. When I asked about them, I was told that they were all on layaway. If they sat there long enough, he would call the guy with money down to see if he still wanted it. Of course, they weren't organized into layaway and non-layaway, you had to pick it up to see.

What REALLY irritated me was standing at the counter for 45 minutes, granted, they were busy, while the owner tried to get a hold of the owner of a .357 mag 1911 that was on consignment. Apparently there was no price. It was a well-used/abused Coonan Gen 1. Loss of finish, scuffed grips, and a cracked barrel bushing. Yes, cracked straight through. The guy still wanted $600 for it. When I mentioned the barrel bushing to the owner, he simply said "I don't care, I'm just selling it." That's when I left. Of course, I had to put up with a douche telling me that I should buy this used Kimber in the case while I waited. Turns out it was his on consignment. After about ten minutes of his babble, I let him know that I had certainly fired more rounds through any number of weapons systems in my short life than he had in his longer; I'm a Marine officer; and that I owned 3 1911s and would he please shut up.
    Flag of the Pennsylvania First Rifle Regiment.
    -Known as the "Widowmakers" by the British
    -"Domari Nolo"-Latin-"I will not be dominated"

(Lehigh County)

After about ten minutes of his babble, I let him know that I had certainly fired more rounds through any number of weapons systems in my short life than he had in his longer; I'm a Marine officer; and that I owned 3 1911s and would he please shut up.
    I wouldve liked to see the guys face after that one haha