Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default S&W 29-2 problems

A few months ago i bought a used S&W 29-2. The cylinder locks up when you pull the hammer back or try to shoot it. I was very annoyed with this because this is the one gun i have always wanted. So i took it to the gun smith and had him restore the gun to new. He said the problem fixed itself after he reblued the gun. Then i went to go shoot it. The cylinder still locks up! Does anyone know what the problem is?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: S&W 29-2 problems

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is that you are having.

When you pull the hammer back, the cylinder is supposed to lock up.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Lackawanna County)

okay lock up was a shitty way to put it. The cylinder jams. And the hammer wont go all the way back the HAMMER locks up

(Montgomery County)

Tough to say for sure but sounds like your cylinder is binding. Either that or there's something wrong in the lockwork. Any problems with opening the cylinder? One of the more common problems causing cylinder binding is dirt or debris getting stuck under the ejector star. Another is the ejector rod has started to back out and is interfering with the cylinder rotating. Try cleaning under the ejector star, and see if the ejector rod is loose or even wobbly. Also, if you can open the cylinder, open it, hold the cylinder latch in the closed position (to the rear so the action can cycle) and see if the trigger and hammer move normally in double action. If you're still having a problem it's likely some internal issue, and you may need to send it back to S&W for repair.

Re-bluing a gun in and of itself won't do anything to fix a mechanical issue.

(Lackawanna County)

does smith and wesson restore guns as well? i dont think im too happy with the job my gun smith did.

(Lackawanna County)

and sometimes it is hard to open the cylinder

(Montgomery County)

Yes, S&W does repairs and also does rebluing, if that's what you want done. Customer Service # is 1-800-331-0852 Ext. 2905, you can get a shipping label to send to them for repair on their web site at http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_761651_-1_757814_757812_image.

But before calling or shipping off to them, I'd suggest cleaning under the ejector star and checking to see if the ejector rod is loose -- if either is causing your cylinder binding those are easy fixes and will cost you nothing.
    Last edited by shiloh; February 2nd, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

(Lebanon County)

it's my understanding, that smith will not, or rather can not work on the older guns. they do not have parts for them any more....it's been a good thirty years since this pistol was shipped. i have read they will refinish an older pistol however.

calling them would be the best first step.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Montgomery County)

I'm no expert on anything (wheel guns being no exception to that rule), but a couple of things:

1) Get a new gunsmith ASAP.

2) Assuming this guy really did re-blue the whole gun, I would say that the issue is likely not some gunk somewhere causing the binding (He would have had to clean, degrease, and then chemically strip or bead blast the entire pistol before bluing it)

3) I say at least call S&W for some guidance, or perhaps find a reputable gunsmith who doesn't say things like "It fixed itself when I re-blued it!"

Things don't really "fix" themselves, in my experience. At least not the kind of thing you describe in your post. My money would be on some mechanical issue somewhere internally, such as a burr or out-of-spec component (I know, not exactly a precise answer)...

Hopefully one of our knowledgeable S&W guys (like 1BlindRef or Steve_NEPhila) will be along shortly with some insight.

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; February 2nd, 2011 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling

(Monroe County)

I have a 29-4 that the ejector rod loosened up ..... and locked up the gun. Had to take it apart to get the cylinder out. Can't quite remember but I think it's left hand thread on that.

The older Model 29's really need to be checked over well, they weren't built to take today's 44 mag loads, at least from what I read, the 29-6 was as is all the 629's but before that ....

EVERY screw on them critters need LocTite, including the sights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast