Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Springfield Armory Trophy Match SS

I won a Springfield Armory Trophy Match in stainless steel at an auction today. Paid $750 for it but can't pick it up until Tuesday afternoon at the earliest.

Supposedly the owner barely used his guns so I don't know how many rounds this gun has seen. Comes with 1 SA factory 8 rd. mag (looks like it has been at least loaded once) and 1 Chip McCormick 10 rd. mag (looks lightly used). Every thing Looks super nice though.

From what I can tell, I got a super deal on this thing. My research before the auction shows them selling for new at around $1300+

Can't wait to pick it up. Although, the Trophy Match isn't exactly the 1911 I want so I might sell it and use that money to get one I really do want.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Springfield Armory Trophy Match SS

Looks like you got a damn good deal. Especially since you practically paid half of retail on a new gun.

Were you looking for a carry gun? If so all you really need to do is replace the target sights and slap something a little more low profile on there, perhaps night sights if that's your cup of tea.

I'm jealous, being in the market for a 1911 myself. If you do decide to get rid of it, I could be your man.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Perry County)

I'm not really in the market for a carry gun, but I was thinking about getting a Loaded or maybe TRP model instead before I found this one.

The Trophy Match is designed for competition and I don't do any competition. I also heard that the Trophy Match's rear sites are different to accommodate the adjustable sights and was difficult to find regular/night sights that fit.

I don't know yet. I think I'll wait until I get the gun and have a chance to really check it out and shoot to make a final decision. One thing I'm disappointed about is that I didn't see the case for it so I don't think they had it. Also, it appears to have some aftermarket grips on it and I'll have to see if I like those or not. If I'm lucky, they do have the case and it was just set aside for the auction.

(Perry County)

And here she is!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54347670@N05/5035103362/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/54347670@N05/5034483691/

NM serial # and really tight. Really nice looking too. Has a Hogue rubber wraparound grip, which is kind of nice because the front strap checkering is VERY sharp.

Unfortunately all I got was the gun and 2 mags, no other accessories. The only problem I have with it is that the mags seem to catch about half way in unless I slam them in. Is this normal?

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; September 28th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

(York County)

That's normal. The mags are just catching on the mag release. Press in the release and they'll fall right in, you'll see.

You scored a hell of a deal on that one. Even if it's not what you're looking for I'm sure you could trade it for something you like better. The Trophy Match as I understand is in the same class as the TRP. One is built more for target (trophy) and the other for combat (trp). The loaded model is a step down but still a very good 1911 none the less.

(Perry County)

Called Springfield Armory and found out my pistol was made in August of 1998.

(Perry County)

Finally got to shoot it today. I can shoot in my back yard but don't have much room. I shot at 10 and 7 yards and got some pretty nice groups. Better than I did with my Mil-spec, but my mil-spec was uncomfortable to shoot without gloves because the grip safety chewed into the webbing between my thumb and finger.

It's definitely a nice gun and seems to be a great shooter as long as I do my part.

(Perry County)

Man, I can't decide what to do with this thing - keep or sell it for a different 1911?

Its not that I don't like this 1911 but I prefer blued over stainless and I kind of want an Operator or TRP.

I kind of don't want to go through the hassle of selling it on the forum or gunbroker, etc., but then again I'm pretty sure a gun shop isn't going to give me much for it.

(Monroe County)

Why? What can the TRP do that your Trophy match cannot do?

All you need to do to that baby is to change out the Match recoil spring for a combat grade spring and it wil outshoot your TRP. Truth be told TRP is highly over rated.

Nyman

(York County)

If you trade it in for a TRP you will probably end up paying at least half of the cost. I'd try trading/selling it in the classifieds here, but then again not lot of people will jump on it since it has been upgraded/modified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast