Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: S&W 29-2 problems

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    ...the ejector rod loosened up ..... and locked up the gun. Had to take it apart to get the cylinder out. Can't quite remember but I think it's left hand thread on that.
    ^^^^This^^^^
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

I have a 29-4 that the ejector rod loosened up ..... and locked up the gun. Had to take it apart to get the cylinder out. Can't quite remember but I think it's left hand thread on that.

The older Model 29's really need to be checked over well, they weren't built to take today's 44 mag loads, at least from what I read, the 29-6 was as is all the 629's but before that ....

EVERY screw on them critters need LocTite, including the sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^
    what they said.
    This is where I'd start.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Elk County)

I have a 29-4 that the ejector rod loosened up ..... and locked up the gun. Had to take it apart to get the cylinder out . . . .

I'd look here first. If there is ANY little bit of oil on the threads joining the ejector rod and the ejector star, the rod will "unscrew" itself under recoil from a 44 Magnum cartridge.

S&W revolvers rely on a center pin running through the extractor assembly to lock the cylinder in place and also to release the cylinder when the cylinder latch button is pushed forward. The nub on the front of the cylinder latch pushes forward on the center pin of the extractor assembly and lines up the rear of the pin with the surface of the recoil shield. The center pin itself pushes against the ejector rod retainer plunger (not sure of the terms) and pushes it forward and out of the normally hollow front end of the ejector rod. That with both ends "uncaptured" the cylinder is free to be turned out of the frame.

If the ejector rod starts to unscrew (left hand thread!), the center pin cannot push the ejector rod plunger out of the front end of the ejector rod, and the cylinder won't swing out. You can take a very small jeweler's screwdriver and generally "help" the ejector rod plunger forward just a tad to allow the cylinder to swing out.

Disassembly of the ejector rod/extractor star/cylinder assembly can be a bit daunting and requires a special tool to act as a "wrench" to tighten the ejector rod after the threads are cleaned and a DROP of blue Loctite is applied. THIS IS BEST LEFT TO A 'SMITH EXPERIENCED WITH S&W HANDGUNS.

As for the cylinder "locking up," it could also be the cylinder hand bent/broken, hand spring broken, cylinder stop spring missing or broken, and lack of lubrication. Does it "lock up" if the cylinder is either full of cartridges, empty, or both?

As above, "find a new gunsmith."

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; February 3rd, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lackawanna County)

ok im not sure what this part is called but i think it is called the ratchet or ratchets. I noticed the spaces in between the ratchets on the extractor star are pretty dinged up. Can this have anything to do with it?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    As for the cylinder "locking up," it could also be the cylinder hand bent/broken, hand spring broken, cylinder stop spring missing or broken, and lack of lubrication. Does it "lock up" if the cylinder is either full of cartridges, empty, or both?

As above, "find a new gunsmith."

Noah
    It seems to really only jam/lock up when the cylinder is loaded.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Daddy View Post
    ok im not sure what this part is called but i think it is called the ratchet or ratchets. I noticed the spaces in between the ratchets on the extractor star are pretty dinged up. Can this have anything to do with it?
    that shouldn't cause the cylinder to lock up, only timing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Daddy View Post
    It seems to really only jam/lock up when the cylinder is loaded.
    Check to make sure the bottom of your bullets aren't hitting the cylinder stop. That would cause the cylinder to bind.

I think at this point it would be best to have a qualified smith take a look at your gun. If there are none in your area, I'd contact S&W. Your gun is not that old and they should be able to work on it. Like someone else posted, 44 magnums are a heavy load. You don't know how many or how the loads were that the previous owner(s) have put through that gun. It's better to be safe than sorry - especially with magnum loads.

You'll end up having more money into this gun than it's worth, but it's better to be out a few bucks than to be missing some fingers or worse

Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12