Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Been looking ata Mini 14 BUT????

HI I have been looking at a mini 14 at a local shop but with all the threads about new ones better than old well how can I tell if this is a new updated version and not a sh_ tty shooter?

Default Re: Been looking ata Mini 14 BUT????

The new ones are all called Ranch rifles. I don't how else to tell the difference without numbers. I know the sights changed a bit, I think the older ones have more of a M14/Garand style factory sight, the new ones come with scope bases, not tapped.

Just find a new one in the box...for some reason people think they can get new prices for old ones....beware.
    Last edited by P89; February 1st, 2011 at 05:12 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    The new ones are all called Ranch rifles. I don't how else to tell the difference without numbers. I know the sights changed a bit, I think the older ones have more of a M14/Garand style factory sight, the new ones come with scope bases, not tapped.

Just find a new one in the box...for some reason people think they can get new prices for old ones....beware.
    I think they were called Ranch Rifles in the 80s. I had one, that's what it was called.

(Clarion County)

If you have the serial number of any Ruger you can go to their web site and find date of production: http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html# The people over at http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-talk/ are into Mini's, and good info can be found there.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I think they were called Ranch Rifles in the 80s. I had one, that's what it was called.
    Yup, back then it was a model, now they're all called that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_14

I have an "Old One" its as accurate as I would expect it to be and reliable. It serves the purpose that I wanted it to and I bought it for a reasonable price. I feel its a good value. There is no optics on it, I use the factory iron sights.

(Bucks County)

there's nothing wrong with the accuracy of the mini 14 they are just not as accurate as AR15's. i have a GB and while it's not as accurate as my AR it has been 100% reliable. ruger did make some improvements to the mini over the past few years so i'd buy a new one before i bought an older one. is the shop claiming new or used and how much $$$$ are they asking? CDNN had some new/used mini's in their larest catalog starting at under 500 bucks.

(Northampton County)

Minis are great. The best part is they shoot very close to point of aim from almost 0 t0 100 yards, unlike the AR. They are also very small, light, and solid. Great rifle.

The bad is that mags are expensive, less reliable, many aftermarket mags are crap, mag changes are slower and less certain, accuracy is slightly worse, and in my experience they don't take the pounding of thousands upon thousands of rounds as well as ARs do.

(Centre County)

Old model, new model, I don't think it really matters.
    I like the Mini 14. However, I'd never pay for a new one these days. I'd do no more than $400 for a pristine used one; $475 for stainless.

(Montgomery County)

I've got a cpl of minis and all are great shooters. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the garand style action. Easy to maintain and shoot. only downside as otheres have mentioned is mags. expensive. stick with the factory mags as aftermarket ones are a crapshoot. I have a stainless 182 series that makes everyone smile when it kicks that foot long flameball out the front.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast