Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Current wait time for Philadelphia LTCF

This office seems out of compliance way too often
    Seems to be 100% of the time. And that's no exaggeration.

(Philadelphia County)

Thumbs up Re: Current wait time for Philadelphia LTCF

So today is day 45. The mail hasn't arrived, but I'm sure that I won't get the notice that I was supposed to.

I decided to call 215-685-3656 since this is the phone number on the application and all over Google. This number is not correct.

After calling a few other offices in the 990 Spring Garden building, I was finally given the number: 215-685-3657 which IS CORRECT.

The answering machine will present an option to 'get status of permit'. This selection will simply state something like "If you haven't received notification within 45 days, come to the office with valid drivers license".

I'll most likely head to the office today or tomorrow (day 46) with my license, along with this court document: https://princelaw.files.wordpress.co...-agreement.pdf

Page 14 (section III.A.14) of that document states that the city is required to provide approval or denial WITHIN 45 CALENDAR days from the date of application.

Having this agreement highlighted and ready to present will most likely help to keep the staff honest and grant the permit.

(Philadelphia County)

UPDATE:

I went to the office today (calendar day 45), signed in, and said that I was there for an update.

The lady asked when I submitted the app, I replied July 10th. She then looked at the calendar and said its only been a few weeks and I'm probably there too early.

I sat back down until I was called again. The same lady then told me that I am application 45 and they are working on application 43 and that I should come back and check next Monday (August 31st).

I said that it has been 45 calendar days and she said with attitude 'Well it's not ready yet I don't know what you want me to do'.

Then I asked if she was familiar with the agreements signed by judge Shelley Smith in the 1.4 million dollar class action lawsuit against the city. She hesitated, but then said yes, snatched my id out of my hand, and started to walk away.

I said 'Thanks for checking again!' and she yelled 'Oh Im not checking again!' as she stormed off into the back.

Then about 10 minutes later after hearing her huffing and puffing in the back and telling the other workers that my app 'isn't ready yet', she called me back for a pic.

While I was taking a pic, she was like 'Oh I know what you were saying but we have 45 days to PROCESS the application, and THEN mail a decision'. <-- NOT TRUE..(section III.A.14)

Also said they have soo many applications and some people are on vacation and that my app WAS finished they just hadn't mailed the decision letter.<-- NOT TRUE since she already told me several times that it 'Wasn't ready'. Not only that, their answering machine even states to come into the office if you haven't rec'd notice after 45 days.

Long story short is.. this office is not respecting the agreement in the court document from the class action suit. They will take as much time as you allow them to take.

Do yourself a favor and print the court document that I posted previously and highlight the agreement in section 14. When they try to buy themselves an extra week to run a 10 minute background check, present the document and DEMAND a decision.

I intend to fax the document to the office and recommend re-training since the employees are unaware of the agreements in the lawsuit. They should know it better than us, it is their job.
    Last edited by bmccarron01; August 24th, 2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: forgot something

(Philadelphia County)

The people in that office have to be the most unprofessional of all city employess.Evey time I have had to go down there they acted rude and indifferent to applicants while they loudly chatter among themselves about their personal affairs.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bmccarron01 View Post
    That's just unacceptable. We shouldn't have to go out of our way for a status when the ball is in their court. We honor the law and they should too.

Who can we contact about this issue?

This office seems out of compliance way too often and should be held accountable. People are failing to do their job and making it difficult for us as citizens to protect ourselves and our families.
    Problem is the regime running this deathtrap of a city is hostile to guns and to the idea of legal citizens carrying guns so I'm afraid any complaints would fall on deaf ears.

(Delaware County)

There is great inconsistency within the policies and practices of the 67 counties is Pa. This lack of uniformity caused the eventual Supreme Court Case that struck down the "may issue" policy of issuing carry permits within the state. Each county had their own set of standards for what criteria had to be met for carry permit approval. We are in the same situation now for the time periods involved for approval of licenses to carry. Some counties issue on the spot and then there is Philadelphia and to some extent, Montgomery and Delaware counties. As one poster already stated, with the technology that is present today, 45 day time of determination is not necessary.

(Philadelphia County)

I applied on the 9th of November after meeting with the gentleman from Philly Gun Training across the street. I had never applied for a carry permit before and as a new PA resident, I was comfortable with paying for his services. He informed me they are at a 10 week processing period as of right now, which in business days is only 50 days. Granted it is only a few days longer than they are allowed, if it is any longer than that I will likely be at the desk doing the same as bmccarron01.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrski View Post
    I applied on the 9th of November after meeting with the gentleman from Philly Gun Training across the street. I had never applied for a carry permit before and as a new PA resident, I was comfortable with paying for his services. He informed me they are at a 10 week processing period as of right now, which in business days is only 50 days. Granted it is only a few days longer than they are allowed, if it is any longer than that I will likely be at the desk doing the same as bmccarron01.
    Please keep in mind that by court order, the decision must be communicated to the applicant within 45 calendar days. They gave you a 70 day wait period which violates the agreement signed by Shelley Smith on behalf of the defendant (CITY OF PHILADELPHIA, et al).

Please refer to the documentation that I posted earlier and let me know if you have any questions. The office is required to communicate their decision to you by December 24th given the date of your application (Nov 9th).
    Last edited by bmccarron01; November 26th, 2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Forgot something

(Philadelphia County)

I went there today, was told there was 25 people upstairs, plus another 20ish waiting in the lobby. I did not have the time to wait, but I plan to go back on Wednesday before they open; the security at the front dest told me it would be like this all week. Today is Day 48 (based on a receipt from the day I applied), and no letter for approval or denial. I had the case printed out and highlighted all geared up to get my permit this morning.

(Philadelphia County)

34th business day received approval letter in mail. Didn't have any issues with anyone at the office, very nice people. Maybe some of you guys need some dealing with people skills. I was in and out both instances (apply and pickup) maybe an hour total all together. What I did have an issue with was the "kind" of people down there applying or picking up their permits. I don't judge people but its kind of hard not to when you think about what they are there for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast