Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Smile Dope this for windage?

Ok guys, I am watching a NetGeoTV show on security for the Superbowl. One of the issues with the game being a high value terrorist target is that someone could fly into the stands. To that end, there are special helicopters that fly out and intercept any plane flying into the "No fly zone". The guys in the back carry AR's and one option is shooting from the helicopter into the plane. Of course they also have fighter jets to do the real shooting if it is a bad guy.

My question is?
    You are flying 175 MPH alongside a light aircraft.
    How much lead is involved?
    I doubt I will ever have use for the info other than an Intellectual discussion but I know there are guys here with real experience at it.

Thanks,
    Smitty56

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Dope this for windage?

I would guestamate they would need to lead by about 20 yards. But then again that would be like trying to hit the spinning blade of a helicopter. Sounds to me like they better get practicing (around here we call it church league softball) the high arck type of pitch. maybe they could use that as a reference for sighting
    Last edited by originalsocko; February 1st, 2011 at 03:11 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Wink Re: Dope this for windage?

Sounds like the NSA telling NatGeo one thing, and practicing ANOTHER. Shooting AR's OUT of a helicopter, at passing aircraft - which are holding perfectly level flight, so the sharpshooter can get off a good shot? Me thinkest NOT.

Having "Airwolf" (or a reasonable facsimilie thereof), or more likely, "Blue Thunder" around for such events, seems much MORE likely. I can't imagine an event like the Super Bowl since 2002 WITHOUT Apaches having been in the area. Hell, they were screaming over Pittsburgh at tree-top level before and during the G20 summit last year - I'll guarantee they'll be 'around' at the Super Bowl.

Besides - which is MORE important? The Kenyan-in-Chieftan, or the Pittsburgh Steelers?

(Bucks County)

If you are flying at the exact same speed, altitude, and direction as the bad guy, and the distance to the target was relatively close no lead would be needed. However, I doubt that the target would be flying along fat, dumb, and happy. There are really too many variables that would come into play at then. It would be a whole different ball game. ( No pun intended ).
    Seems like a science fiction to me. Why put the pursuer in danger? Attack from the 6 o'clock postion. No matter what scenario there is going to be collateral damage.

Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; February 1st, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Centre County)

where's a good zombie head shot thread when you need one?

I think Pukindog's theory has some merit. two aircraft traveling the same speed.

I'm just waiting for all the folks that have actually shot at another aircraft from the back of a helicopter to chime in. Should be really interesting.

(Bedford County)

I would think that at 175 mph you would have to lead some , when you take
    in to consideration the flow of air around both machines !

No , I never tried it lol , just kinda makes sense to me .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

(Adams County)

Well, if it were at all practical, I'd say you use tracers and keep firing until you hit what you intended to hit.

(Lawrence County)

^^^Tracers FTW!!!

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lehigh County)

I agree with R15. With both aircraft flying same speed, direction and altitude there would be very little lead needed unless the birds were pretty far apart.

Now, as far as real world shooting like this.... It is a very low probability shot. There has to be at least a Plan A, B, and C ahead of this one.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I agree with R15. With both aircraft flying same speed, direction and altitude there would be very little lead needed unless the birds were pretty far apart.

Now, as far as real world shooting like this.... It is a very low probability shot. There has to be at least a Plan A, B, and C ahead of this one.
    I'd have to second this one. I've shot 62gr in about 30-35mph gusting winds before and the lead at 250m was about 16 ft into the wind. (I was using an ACOG, so no...I don't have a mil on that...I actually couldn't see the target, my spotter was calling the shots). So...I can only imagine. All things being equal...you are looking at almost 4 times that provided the range is similar and the target stationary. Adding in a moving target....I think they might me looking at accuracy by volume.

More than likely...someone is hiding a M240 somewhere...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast