Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: "People that carry, lve in a dream world"

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Personally, I don't see how anyone who was armed and had any measure of training with their pistol would not have taken that opportunity to put a few into the guy. He was distracted by that woman for several seconds.
    I saw a special report on this. The guy's wife said he was proficient with firearms and could have killed the Board members if he really wanted to.

The media loves to give mis-information, especially about guns. Using a group of people the way they did proves nothing. The shooter in a real situation doesn't know to shoot at you and single you out. They don't know to shoot at the instructor two times and then aim directly at the only person in the room with a gun. It would have been a little more realistic if they would have let the person carrying the weapon to pick their own seat, then the shooter would not know who to shoot at first. Even the best trained police officer would fail under those circumstances.

Then they love to make people believe that all police spend so much time honing their skills with firearms, when the average CCW holder practices much more than the average active duty cop. Most police agencies only require once a year refresher. In my experience, and as far as I know, only special services like SWAT, ESU (NYPD), secret service, and the like have ongoing and continuing practice under stress.

Very little of what they report do I find to be actually true.

(Northampton County)

To Victory who commented on my training /certification post. We had 2 or 3 consecutive days of training twice a year followed by certification. I know the two are different but the training officer in the video was (IMHO) trying to make a point by saying what he did about training every month or losing the ability to be proficient. His, paraphrased, words not mine. Have a good day.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Rep button is broken.

But you are absolutely right. How many times have we seen videos, of people being attacked. The cower into a corner. Someone runs into a store with a knife, people panic. We are the top of the food chain, but the "fight for your lives" genes are all but gone.
    Unfortunately, for a lot of people, the best form of defense is to run and hide in a corner somewhere, dial 911 and HOPE that everything will be ok. Personally I live by the saying, "ONE SHALL STAND, ONE SHALL FALL."

(Venango County)

When they were doing the National Anthem before the Superbowl, I reflected on the words, "...and the home of the brave."

I used to only think of that phrase in terms of our servicemembers, our forefathers and perhaps the occasional patriot who risks all to do the right thing.

But I also started thinking about freedom not being free in the following respect; it takes a brave people to live the life of being free where nothing is guaranteed, where you are responsible for your outcomes. Sure, sometimes things happen to you that you cannot control, but you get back up and keep at it to keep as many opportunities open as possible. Eventually you will find a way out to a better place. In the meantime, you are free.

It takes brave people to become free, to remain free and to be free.

This may be the problem with today's America and its fixation on safety to the point of stifling freedom.

We should all be ashamed of ourselves as really, very few of us are living up to the standard of truly being the brave that call America home. I include myself as one who has also failed. I could and should do more.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Northampton County)

I have no idea how well i would do in that situation and i hope i never have to find out but i know one thing if i'm going down ...I'm going down swinging!

side note:
    is it a hormonal thing that the female without thinking shot the cop in the dick!
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"

Quote Originally Posted by tim81688 View Post
    I have no idea how well i would do in that situation and i hope i never have to find out but i know one thing if i'm going down ...I'm going down swinging!

side note:
    is it a hormonal thing that the female without thinking shot the cop in the dick!

When you're flanked by two shooters gunning at you, it's pretty much impossible. The one person that has experience with guns and probably would have made it, they put in an imposable scenario, then say that people like him are living in a dream world.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusPT145 View Post
    When you're flanked by two shooters gunning at you, it's pretty much impossible. The one person that has experience with guns and probably would have made it, they put in an imposable scenario, then say that people like him are living in a dream world.
    That's the truth in a nutshell.

My theory on military training is that you do all you can do to learn and accomplish as much as you can. Be as physically and mentally in shape as you can. It can save your life. However, though it increases your odds, I don't care if you are the strongest, fastest or smartest (or well-trained) soldier there is, there are two things that can go against you.

One, you may just run into someone bigger and badder or smarter than yourself (or who has a greater average of those traits for the situation in which you meet). Second, no matter what, some one else can be luckier or it just may be your time and you won't make it back home no matter what.

In Korea, it is well known that they like to put taller soldiers on station there. It is a psy-ops thing. The enemy does the same. Sometimes fellow soldiers would joke with us shorter guys about height. My reply always was that the sniper will see and most likely take out the people that look big to them! Easier targets to hit and those targets are more threatening psychologically.

This is the same type of game the producers were playing for this 'test'. Of necessity, journalists are in general intelligent. So I think they purposely attempted to go along with this fraud because the conclusion matched what they wanted. They did not question it and so their integrity is rightfully in question.

ETA= There are no guarantees in life. You do what you can to increase the odds of survival in your favor and roll the dice. The Second Amendment is not a guarantee of survival. It is an insurance policy.
    Last edited by TaePo; February 9th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567