Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New Gun-Front sight dot already gone!

We just bought a S&W M&P 9m and much to our disappointment (after our first time out and 100 rounds later or maybe even earlier as it was dusk when we quit), we noticed the front sight white dot was gone!

S&W is sending us a new front sight but is it worth having the sight removed and a new one tapped in or should we just put paint on the missing dot?

Is this common ? If it is, then is there a better option for a front sight? I thought S&W would have this down pat after all these years.
    Thanks for any info.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New Gun-Front sight dot already gone!

This is a common problem with the M&P platform. My buddy just painted his with some model paint.

(Delaware County)

Get a pair of night sights.

if you can stand being without it for a few days, send it to them and let them do the sight swap (save the money on the gunsmith). While you're at it, if you've had ANY failure to extract properly, or feed, let them know and they'll give you a nice workover and you're M&P will run better than new (literally).

(Monroe County)

And some people will tell you with a straight face that the M&P is the equivALENT of a Glock! What a joke!
    Dont feel bad though, lots of M&P's have lost thier front sight.

Next time just buy a quality firearm.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    And some people will tell you with a straight face that the M&P is the equivALENT of a Glock! What a joke!
    Dont feel bad though, lots of M&P's have lost thier front sight.

Next time just buy a quality firearm.
    I'm as big of a glock queer as anyone, but factory glock sights aren't anything to brag about. They need a good pair of night sights too.

(Monroe County)

I had the same thing happen to me with my compact. One of the rear sight dots disappeared. Called up S&W and they sent me a whole new rear sight and a pinky extension for one of my mags free of charge. Got them in about 3 days. The rep claimed it had something to do with a batch of sights that weren't properly degreased before the sight dots were applied.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    The rep claimed it had something to do with a batch of sights that weren't properly degreased before the sight dots were applied.
    Interesting. So is the dot actually painted on? Or is it a premade "dot" that is glued in place? Doesn't make a lot of sense for paint to come off, so I'm assuming it's the latter... Seems like a silly way to build a sight.

Either way, if you don't want to go with night sights just get some white model paint, or steal some of your girls white nail polish.
    I used to have a ported XD and the front dot would be ack after 50 rounds. Lots of cleaning and repainting on that bad boy.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

The stock M&P sights are real METAL, and have a small piece of plastic and not paint, as best as I can tell.

Contrary to the opinion above, at least the sights are not plastic with a white sticker on them.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Indiana County)

Ehh, could be worse, how would you like to be the proud owner of a brand new S&W 629 Stealth Hunter from the "Custom Shop" that you paid $1100 for and after a dozen rounds the entire front sight had almost drifted itself out of it's sloppy dovetail?
    Combine that with the creepy trigger and finish blemishes on the sight rail from the supposed custom shop and it seems like losing a dot off of the front sight from a stock over the counter M&P should be no big deal.

Granted, S&W does great as far as customer service, but the problems they are having are something you would expect from Taurus or Jennings/Bryco, total disappointment.

S&W has been really disappointing in the quality control dept as of late IMO, and now with them copying that monstrosity called the Judge from Taurus, I will only be buying vintage Smiths from now on.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast